The online racing simulator
Steering degree's of rotation
(9 posts, started )
Hi All,

I've been racing using an old logitech formula yellow (No FF) which has a degree of rotation of around 120 degrees (like an F1 car) and that's perfect for me, but I'm considering upgrading to a G25 or G27 and I know they have a degree of rotation of 900 degrees.

This extended degree of rotation will be good for some cars like XFG ect. but for open wheelers are you able to lock it to a much lower degree of rotation (similar to the logitech formula yellow at 120), or does the force feedback do that for you (e.g. resistance beyond the range), or do you have to manually lock it. Having never really used anything other than my current wheel I don't know, or does it work that you set the degree of rotation in game to say 120 and you wheel still goes beyond that but in game it goes no further.

Anyway, hopefully someone will understand my waffle and give me an answer before I go out and upgrade.

(I understand the FREx can be mechanically adjusted to any degree)
If you have a 900 degree wheel in LFS, it will automatically adjust all road cars to 720 degrees (you'll be able to turn the wheel further, but nothing will happen), most race cars stop at 540, and most formula cars to 450 (Formula 1 cars are actually between 360 and 450 depending on the track and the steering ratio used).
Ok, so there is no resistance or anything built in to the G25/G27 to stop it from rotating beyond the game setting of the car. Though reading about teh FREX wheel you can mechanically adjust the degree of rotation to your liking.

Shame, cause I like feeling the true full lock of the wheel.
There is a soft stop at whatever setting your profiler is set to, soft stop meaning 100% FFB resistance at and beyond the rotation specified. LFS, however, does not (yet?) make use of the API provided by Logitech to change this on-the-fly to reflect appropriate settings for the car selected in-game, you have to set it up yourself.

Personally I have it set to 720° in the profiler and use LFS's wheel turn compensation, that way my ingame rotation range depends on the car, but the soft stops remain at 720°.
#5 - AMB
I have 360 in profiler, and in-game normally 390.
All in all, it is pretty much completely adjustable. I seriously doubt you will regret your upgrade. I still love my G25 after almost 2 years and cant imagine playing without force feedback.
#7 - hp999
The FREX wheel has an maximum rotation of 1080 degrees, if I'm correct.

In LFS, you can set the rotation to 720 degrees max, 900 degrees in the profiler. And of course, force feedback doesn't feel different in most of the road cars.
#8 - Zay
So, what were saying is :yes", you can set it to 120 degrees in the profiler, and it will resist with 100 % force feedback if you turn it anywhere beyond 120%.
The profiler or the gaming panel of XP/Vista/Win7 command the degrees of rotation.
In LFS u've the steering compensation: if u use at 0 u will drive ever with the degrees setting in gaming panel or profiler.
If u use from 0 to 1 then real degrees of rotation will be adjusted.
Don't remember that cheat usually use 200° of rotation because in case of oversteering is more simple fix the problem with 200° respect 540° ...

(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG