The online racing simulator
Will a netbook run LFS?
(13 posts, started )
Will a netbook run LFS?
I am thinking about buying a netbook so I can hook it up to my lcd tv in my room. I mainly want it for surfing the web, iTunes, and of course LFS. Will this netbook run lfs decently? I don't care if it has to be on the lowest graphics setting I just want it to run smoothly. Also I am going to upgrade the ram to 2gb total.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/As ... 24#tabbed-customerreviews

Tyler
Never used a real netbook, but if Wikipedia's correct in saying the performance is about half that of a similarly clocked Pentium M, I would guess it'd be a struggle.
to make it simple:
no
not very well, as it will have a GPU the size of a thumbnail and less memory than a casio calculator from the 1970's so it wont be fast and it wont be pretty, but with really low res settings and all the aa and af turned off it might *just* run, but it wont be up to much, the FPS will be pants.
#5 - Jakg
I doubt it - netbooks aren't that bad (typing from mine atm), but the key slow-point is the CPU - whereas LFS needs a fast CPU to run well.

For comparison, my netbook runs BF2 on low at 1366*768, and that has an Atom N270, nVidia ION GPU (9400m) and 3GB of RAM.

EDIT - Asus eee 1005 - Intel onboard GPU. No chance of playing any games on it.
Quote from Jakg :I doubt it - netbooks aren't that bad (typing from mine atm), but the key slow-point is the CPU - whereas LFS needs a fast CPU to run well.

For comparison, my netbook runs BF2 on low at 1366*768, and that has an Atom N270, nVidia ION GPU (9400m) and 3GB of RAM.

EDIT - Asus eee 1005 - Intel onboard GPU. No chance of playing any games on it.

What netbook are you using? And what is BF2?
#8 - Jakg
eee 1008 is *exactly* the same performance as the 1005 with a slightly faster CPU (sub-4% improvement).

BF2 = Battlefield 2

My netbook is a Compaq CQ311C-1030SA - I would say the Samsung N510 is better though, I only got this because it was cheap with a WWAN card in it.

If you buy a netbook, even one with an ION, you will be dissapointed for playing games on unless you need a long battery life & portability, and are willing to make sacrifices to get that...
#9 - wild
Quote from 31794ty :Woops I posted the wrong link. :doh: Even though I am not sure it will make a difference?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/As ... 7623545&skuId=9580857

That is pretty much identical to the one I'm using at this very minute. It's hopeless at trying to play games on besides little flash games, and maybe ones from the very early 2000s

You'd be better off buying a cheap Desktop instead. Unless you plan to take the Netbook with you anywhere?
Quote from Jakg :eee 1008 is *exactly* the same performance as the 1005 with a slightly faster CPU (sub-4% improvement).

BF2 = Battlefield 2

My netbook is a Compaq CQ311C-1030SA - I would say the Samsung N510 is better though, I only got this because it was cheap with a WWAN card in it.

If you buy a netbook, even one with an ION, you will be dissapointed for playing games on unless you need a long battery life & portability, and are willing to make sacrifices to get that...

Thank you. I don't want it just for LFS but it would be nice to be able to run it.

Just a general netbook question. Do they run well and can they handle simple multitasking. ie; Web and iTunes?
#11 - Jakg
It can do that fine, although i've never owned a netbook with less than 1GB of RAM as I have a habit of modding the things before I even turn them on for the first time.

Mine handles Chrome, Word, Notepad, Messenger and any other shit I have running fine - not as snappy as my main PC, but it's small, light and fits in my bag easily - what more could I want?
It doesn't run perfectly, but you can play single player without AI. Online play or with AI cars the game is unplayable though.
I have a LG x110, 3GB ram, 1.6GHz Atom in it.. It sucks when it comes to playing games.

LFS "works" @ 640x480 with 14fps.. not playable but it runs atleast.
Havent tried any other games as i primarily has it sitting on my tv to relay the music from my stationary comp

EDIT: And also, i have seen alot of proper Laptops here in Sweden that are cheaper than a Netbook.. So if i were to get me one of these today, i'd go for a laptop instead.

Will a netbook run LFS?
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG