The online racing simulator
Rough fan sound below 55*C
(3 posts, started )
My Gpu (Sig) sounds pretty rough when I boot the rig up when it's cold, only below 55*C it seems. This is probably the 3rd time I've booted the machine with it being so cold in this room. I don't keep it very warm in this room unless I'm in here, so at times first thing in the morning when I go on, it sounds rough. By about the time I get to the desktop, the noise go's away. I'm certain it's the Gpu fan, today when I booted I right away opened CCC, cranked the fan to 100% and had a good listen...it just sounds rough. Doesn't sound out of balance or anything...hard to explain, just, twice as loud. Then, it instantly sounds normal. It's not a smooth transition, from noisy to quiet, it just go's from loud/noisy, to perfectly normal, instantly. This rarely happens and never when it's warm.

This is something I've just never payed much attention to, at all. Is this something I should be concerned about? The card is only two weeks old, barely. There is nothing within 2 inches of the front of the card, nothing is interfering with the card. If this happened all the time I'd worry, but since it's only when it's very cold, is it possibly it's nothing to be concerned about?

Anyone with experience I'd appreciate any input, I know we have more hardware heads here, but this is something I've never come across. Also, the system otherwise runs absolutely perfect, temps, speeds, everything is perfect.

Thanks, sorry for the length.
The graphics driver is responsible for the GPU fan speed and as long the driver isn´t loaded on a restart the fan speed is much higher.
Absolutely, and when I get to the desktop, I instantly load CCC, and crank the fan to 100%. This made it very easy to identify which fan it was without opening the case (I have opened it, to be certain no wires got near the Gpu, etc etc, lots of clearance)

When I first open CCC, it's usually between 36-49% fan speed. This morning, it was very cold in here, under 50*F, around 46-48, to be exact. The fan was making the noise, I already knew it was the Gpu fan, so when it booted to the desktop (about 10-15 full seconds from power on until I have the CCC open at the desktop, it's very quick) the fan was still making this noise, I cranked it to 100%, the fan speed up, and the noise increased proportionally, this lasts about 30 seconds at most, and then it's as if the Gpu's fan warms up, and stops making the noisy sound.

Is it normal for these type of fans to possibly make these sounds when they're cold? This has only happened 3/4 times, and "only" when it's below 50*F/8.8-10*C. The rough sound always stops after about 1 full minute. This video card warms up FAST, so I'm thinking:

Possibly it's just the cold? I don't waste energy keeping this room warm when I'm not in here, and the PC is on the floor, coldest part of the house ya know.

I'm answering my own question aren't I? Just curious, performance is perfectly normal, behavior, smart control of the fan speeds, all fine. Also, before the desktop loads, the fan does "not" spin at 100%, by the sound I'd guess around 50%, give or take. Once I hit the desktop it falls into the 30's, idle temps are about 48-52*C, but I'm sure by mid summer that will rise.

(3 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG