The online racing simulator
What would you say to
(36 posts, started )
What would you say to
this guy:
Quote :So what are you bying with LFS S2?

a handful of tracks. unmoddable game. some stupid assed autocross bullshit- cones set up in a parking lot- LAME. Terrible AI that does things that if real players did they'd be banned from the sport forever.

For $40-$60, I want a manual, good AI, a LOT of tracks and I do not want some stupid cones in a parking lot.

LFS sucks considering that there are so many other better games with better content.

Responding to a thread plugging LFS' latest updates and fixes, without any fanboying, just links for those who're interested?
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
He could at least rag on the features LFS actually emphasizes, rather than those that are barely used or needed, no?
#3 - Jakg
i wouldnt mind replyin, and if he spent £36 on LFS, he got ripped off!
AI: fair point, but that's one of the reasons it's still considered ALPHA, even if the main content is much more stable and of higher quality than many full release products. Besides that, Scawen said so himself, so this is not the usual "it is alpha" excuse.

Manual: ever heard of lfswiki?

Few tracks: come again after playing all, what, 700+ combos? Even now so many of them aren't played, how would "more tracks" make anything better?
What would be the point in replying?, why would you, or anyone else give two shites what HE thinks of the sim?.

Relax in the knowledge that the guy in question is obvious a clueless fanboy, and is missing out on the best online racing sim there is.

Fanboys, ya gotta love em.......

Dan,
Clearly the guy has never played on that handful of tracks. The smexy cars you get. So worth it.

But he needs to go back to school and learn maths. £24 is far from $60. You could guess that the current exchange rate is double and it'll be $50 (thouh it's far from that and it'd be $43.02).

As for the AI... who needs AI when you can go online with it?
He just points out about everyones pains in LFS, just in a harsh way. The autocross is discussable, but he's kinda right, I don't like to play around with it either, but that's more because of the controls for it rather than the cones. And about the price, well, if he can find me a game for the same price, with this kind of contents, that isn't 4 years old, I agree, but I doubt he'll find it. As far as I know, for more content, you can buy anywhere, you pay a lot more.
#8 - robps
Sounds like an Ars response

I wouldn't say much to him, sounds like hes' not the sort of person that would enjoy LFS anyway. Leave him to play what ever his choice of racing game is.
What would I say? Nothing. If he's bought it, played it and still dislikes LFS, then that's the way it is. Bad luck for him though, if he can't see a pot of gold when sitting on it
"Too bad them other games can't really match the actual use of said content."
lol, from what forum did you find that piece of humour?
that guy wouldn't recognise a descent sim if it smacked him in the face.

Some of his comments do have some weight, like with the AI but thats as far as it goes. AI might not be good(which is a shame) as sometimes i do like to race against AI plus cant you add them to online races? if they were good enough, online could be lot more fun. But the rest is unjust, the autocross editor is really just a bonus feature and you can have a bit of fun there. As for the tracks there are enough combos to keep me satisfied...enough cars to keep me happy too.

I wonder what sim he's coming from, my guess woul dbe f1c or rf
#13 - joen
Quote from danowat :What would be the point in replying?, why would you, or anyone else give two shites what HE thinks of the sim?.

Relax in the knowledge that the guy in question is obvious a clueless fanboy, and is missing out on the best online racing sim there is.

Fanboys, ya gotta love em.......

Dan,

:iagree:

He does have a point about the AI. To me it's not that important since LFS's goal is online simracing, but it would be nice if the AI would be better. Which I'm sure it will be in the future.

a lot comes down to personal preference. I don't consider the fact that LFS is (currently) unmoddable a downside. Quite the contrary actually.

Autocross: don't care about it either, but why would something you don't use in a sim be a negative thing? Other people like it so why would that be a problem, just don't use it then.

I say: don't bother. He doesn't seem like someone who is willing to have an open minded discussion.
Learn to live with it. Parts of the LFS community are just as bad

Quote :
Bottomline, its preety much crap, its professional because it now costs money and its online because the demo is distributed on the web, not because it allows u to play a multiplayer.

But, its only crap if u can get past the gigantic bugs, the shit ui, the ridiculous controller support, unresponsive controls and sound, then you are welcomed to the exact same netkar as before.
dreadful physics. simplistic and yet, uber incorrect. if they were so-so at least, i could comment further. no wonder the testers left...
froze my puter 2 times but i found a trick to go around dat. (this is no joke involving deleting the game)
to charge 36 euros for this is pedantic and an insult to every honest, hardworking developer out there.
this kind of crap gives bad rep to garage coders and i feel pity for the ones that got mugged in a pre-buy rush (except for doug and satorian. those deserve the product).
i thought that once he ate almost all his past words, and was forced to copycat lfs without admiting it (man if u had pride i imagine it would have been difficult), we are left with a ultra buggy , untested, unpolished, arcade sub-standard attempt of a copy. this should be stuck in a bottle in some medical university shelf. software abortion sample, tried to be something and fails miserably.
nkp gives lol a new meaning , thats for sure.

well done mussolini! now off to the fps football sim. if the ball physics are not that great u can always blame the bad pitch

ps: greets to whoever made the graphical effort in hyping this junk. he made a nice job. loved the original slogan.

Autocross is the shiznit. The MRT5 has found it's true home. Look for more layouts from me in the near future (i.e. summer).
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from ajp71 :Learn to live with it. Parts of the LFS community are just as bad

yeah, Copyright by KiDcOdEa
Gran Turismo 4 now collects dust at my house. It has far better car selection, tracks and car modifying...but to be able to beat world supercars on the Dark Forest Track, difficulty level 10 with a Toyota Trueno with 160 HP proves that it is FAR from being "The real driving simulator".

I think I summed it up.
Quote :A game lacking content and having content that is really lame- like dodging cones on a parking lot- is legit. The game really lacks content. It really is not moddable. The AI really acts like amateurs. This is all real, this is all bad.

LFS:
18 Cars
9 tracks

GTL:
25 tracks
90 Cars

GPL:
100's of cars with mods
100's of tracks with mods

EA F1 Series:
ditto

rFactor:
same

How can it be disputed that LFS is severely lacking? My point is valid. Granted the setup options are great and the physics are supposed to be good (although I disagree- I have played LFS some I feel the physics are very bad- the cars are on ice). But every sim is expected to have great setup options and realistic physics- this is the minimum standard. LFS meets the minimum standard for the new generation of sims, this is not acceptable.

I don't have time to type what needs to be to give this guy a clue, here's the thread if anyone wants to:
http://episteme.arstechnica.co ... f/39309975/m/382002078731
I'd stick around to do it, but having to actually explain something so obvious, I feel like a PR machine.
#19 - JTbo
GPL 100's of cars, huh? As far as I know, it has only those few that came with package, those same cars with new textures, those same cars with ugly wing attached to rear, then one GT40, which is not so different from basic cars and one Cobra that has not never released and most likely never will be.

Oh yes and then that 69 mod or what was it? But hardly 100's of cars as most are just repainted or otherwise slightly changed, new skin is not new car, imo. If it has new phsysics it still is same car with modded physics.

But if guy has that kind of attitude against LFS, maybe I don't even like him to get LFS, I would reply for him "yes, no any reason to buy S2" and problem solved? We have already enough me, everything to me, me first to T1 to cause carnage type of ppl, I think?
i like this game so much that i bought two copies

the mods are great the skins are better the game is great i like it.

my one complaint is peoples touchy fingers on the kick button when us n00bs spin out and hit someone else...
Quote from JTbo :GPL 100's of cars, huh?

GPL cars (with physics):

1967 - 7
1965 - 7
1969 - 7
Thundercars - 1 (7 cars, 1 physics model)

That makes 22 released cars.

Some more in development (if my memory serves me right):

1967 Sports cars
1971 Sports cars
1955 GP
1935 GP
Quote :Gran Turismo 4 now collects dust at my house. It has far better car selection, tracks and car modifying...but to be able to beat world supercars on the Dark Forest Track, difficulty level 10 with a Toyota Trueno with 160 HP proves that it is FAR from being "The real driving simulator".

I had that problem. I won the 24 hrs. of the 'ring by 60 laps. THE 'RING!
laps of race:217=2604 miles pit stops:54
The guy is definitely pointing out the stupid parts of LFS, and he doesn't understand it at all.... doesn't understand the concept of LFS, doesn't understand WHY there isn't modding at this time. Looks to me that he is COMPLETELY out of the loop.

I'll be explaining it all in the next ASS article. Maybe then he won't be so arsed with pointing out the impractical features
Really sure you want to write about LFS in ASS, I still read it but it lost a lot of credibility IMO after the bullshitting about nK, parts of which just weren't true, not even biased opinions just plain lies.
Maybe It'll be the first that has accuracy, because it sure as hell won't have a bunce of joy written all over it. You'll see

Think of LFS getting the credibility it deserves, but also explaining reasons why people would hate it, and the inside scoop why they are considered wrong by LFS fans Hard to explain, just wait and see.

What would you say to
(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG