The online racing simulator
Disconnect conspiracy
(27 posts, started )
Disconnect conspiracy
Hi LFS - Community!

I have a question:

I just disconnected from an important race (city liga) beeing in third place.

I hardly ever expirienced disconnects, especially in the last year or so.

Now I want to ask you if anybody of You has ever expierenced or heard of disconnect that were set up by other drivers over some IT - knowledge. Is that possible? Are there precedences?

Suffering paranoia does not mean, that nobody is after You, does it?

Dandy
Well, if you are really into the stuff, it should be fairly easy. Since there is a physically "connection / tunnel " between the various users, there are certain ways to exploit, manipulate and possible screw it up.

However, that's only speculations from my side, even if it's possible I highly doubt someone has made you DC
#3 - garph
It's just a disconnect. Don't over think it.

...it's more likely someone really close (as in distance) to you lagging out your connection anyway.
Sorry, I won't do it again.
Coïncidence? I think not!
Oh god. Who would be sad enough to do that?
Ahh.

That would make sense.
Disconnects in LFS are the counterpart of technical failures in the real world, so take it like a man
Quote from zeugnimod :Sorry, I won't do it again.

Ohh..was way too slow there, was about to write the same
Quote from Andreas B :Ohh..was way too slow there, was about to write the same

It was me again.

I disconnected your brain from your fingers.

Sorry.
You can Chekhov the meens of disconnect in the insim packet data by running the reply through an analyser, I pressume the stats tools out there now report the reason as the data is there.

Deliberately causing a natural disconnect is very hard to do but not impossible. Obtaining an IP address of the target and then flooding it fom a high speed source such as a web host would be the easiest way, it's a hacking method known as "denial of service". Getting the IP address of another racer would be difficult unless you have access to the host.

You could do a DOS attack via insim if you don't have the users IP, but to do this you require access to the insim password on the host. I believe this is brute forceable without detection but I've not tried.

So technically yes, it's possible. But if I was going to do that I'd boot the leader.
There is no direct connection between the clients, you'd have a very hard time obtaining other clients's IP addresses and clients cannot flood other clients via InSim. The host, however, could induce a deliberate desync (OOS).
Quote :clients cannot flood other clients via InSim

Indeed, that's why I mentioned needing the host password, but as I also mentioned i'm not aware of any brute force protection on the insim interface - although i've not tested the theory out.

However i've realised since posting this earlier that - certainly the last time I played LFS - the IP and port information of the host isn't publicly visible anywhere I can think of either - so getting that information when it's not your host would be difficult, although i'd hazard with some research you could probably get the IP of most of the major hosts and from there do a port scan.
Quote from Becky Rose :so getting that information when it's not your host would be difficult, although i'd hazard with some research you could probably get the IP of most of the major hosts and from there do a port scan.

When you're connected to the host, it's no problem at all. netstat is your friend
#17 - th84
It is odd that you are having that problem. I have a similar problem every time I attempt to join a [noobs] server. As soon as I join I get disconnected. When I try to re-join I get a "Host refused Connection" message.
isn't that how you client reacts if you're banned on a server? I never was, so I dunno
Well, uhm
After 3 weeks of training everyday for GTAL 6hrs race..
i timeouted on the last lap from 12th place
I get discos only in 24h races. My only disco previous year happened there. A year before - the same. Thanks god this year I'm seriously bored, thus not driving at all.
Don't worry, th! I get your humour.
Quote from th84 :It is odd that you are having that problem. I have a similar problem every time I attempt to join a [noobs] server. As soon as I join I get disconnected. When I try to re-join I get a "Host refused Connection" message.

go nuke some bacon and stop dragging down the seriousness of the thread hippie
#23 - th84
I'm sorry, Shotglass. I promise not to do it anymore.

I shall now go Nuke me some bacon. (which should not be confused with cooking bacon)

Thanks, Zig! :P
It'll be the CIA

It's always the CIA

They're everywhere....

<insert the little smilie hiding under table that i can't be bothered to find>
Quote from Test Driver :Disconnects in LFS are the counterpart of technical failures in the real world, so take it like a man

Time for: It's not a bug, it's a feature...
Although it's just a disconnect.

Disconnect conspiracy
(27 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG