The online racing simulator
Quote from Becky Rose :Fear is an emotion, the mental process that leads to the decision to back off and not hit another car is not emotional

As far as I'm concerned that thought process of rationalising what is and isn't acceptable is caused by the sub-consious fear inside any driver, be that a fear of hurting themsleves, others, the car or even end their race early.

Quote :
You mention a specific accident, that's the kind of accident which for me might leave me in a state of shock after the event, but in the build up to it i'll be plotting trajectories and planning how I was going to come out in front and trying to pre-empt the other drivers actions.

Well no when there's another car flying over your head you have no control nothing to pre-empt once you've ducked down that's all you can do. Which is why he felt so much fear because he couldn't do anything. Despite it not looking that big a crash from the pits it was his complete lack of control that he said really made this one of the worst he'd had.
#77 - JTbo
Quote from marsaz :http://video.google.com/videop ... 167&q=car&pl=true

This is not an F1 but still. Tyres DO sound even if you can't really see car going sideways. Looks like tyres can slip a little bit before they lose traction (still friction or whatever it is in english)

This car understeers a lot, it is FWD, so no need to go sideways when tires start to whine.

From my experience road tyres starts make sound long before losing grip, slicks are harder to hear as usually cars having slicks are so loud that tire noise can't be heard.
Quote from tristancliffe :by fudging .

OT, sorry Tris, I had to have that comment Big grin
#79 - JTbo
Oh, fear and human mind, that is just too complicated thing to discuss on racing simulation related board Wink

Proper damage modelling is what would make something called fear to sim racing, well no, but more realistically behaving drivers at least Big grin

LFS damage should be multiplied by 2, perhaps even by 3 to get that...
^^ But in a sim you still don't get the pain or the financial costs or time to rebuild.
#81 - JTbo
Quote from ajp71 :^^ But in a sim you still don't get the pain or the financial costs or time to rebuild.

Of course not, unless your homemade motion simulator goes crazy and crushes you trough ceiling, but that is maybe not likely to happen Big grin

n**** has this special mode that takes time aspect taken care of, adjust camber and wait 40mins to get job done, pffff.

We could have this financial part however as we do earn credits, but I have learned there is quite lot of ppl against from this kind of approach?
Quote from JTbo :Of course not, unless your homemade motion simulator goes crazy and crushes you trough ceiling, but that is maybe not likely to happen Big grin

Or buy a new S2 lisence every crash (Scavier would love that one Big grin).

Quote :
n**** has this special mode that takes time aspect taken care of, adjust camber and wait 40mins to get job done, pffff.

WTF? changing camber involves turning 2 nuts per corner, never more than 5 minutes a corner. Yet a full rebuild takes 10 minutes, that's realism for you :pillepall

Quote :
We could have this financial part however as we do earn credits, but I have learned there is quite lot of ppl against from this kind of approach?

NOOOOO I'd rather twidle my thumbs for 40 minutes than buy credits ISI style.
#83 - wE1l
Quote from Tweaker :Yes I also remember this. Cars were getting way faster times, and doing impossible turning maneuvers. :pillepall

I had a video of it once of someone doing absolutely outrageous times on various tracks... I just cannot agree on the fact that the times are very similar to reallife because of this, wE1l.

You REMEMBER?

This is the wr (advanced) in F1C for Nurburgring 2002.

And this is the outcome of qualifying 2002 European GP, note that back then they used 12-lap qualifying with light fuel, basically everyone carry 3 laps fuel and do a flying lap, pit and repeat this four times. So that should be very close to the maximum what the cars could do.

Worth mentioning that those top drivers in F1C tend to drive only in pro mode, which means TC is not active, I'd say with TC on it would be a safe bet that Binz would've made into 1:30s.

There are 11 driving aids available in F1C, with many of them turned on, yes, people can do much faster laptimes, maybe that's what you were talking about. And please cut it, I think talking excessively about another sim ain't that wise now that we are in a LFS forum and should of talk about the upcoming BF1.Big grin

Final words on what F1C has to do with this --- I just want a sim that allow people to drive real cars on real tracks doing similar times at each split to real life pros, experiencing most realistic car behaviors, that's what I get from F1C. In addition, please feel free to check out this cool F1C vid http://idefix.martijnbogaard.c ... ula1_compilation_Mart.wmv end of story.Tilt
#84 - JTbo
Quote from ajp71 :
WTF? changing camber involves turning 2 nuts per corner, never more than 5 minutes a corner. Yet a full rebuild takes 10 minutes, that's realism for you :pillepall
NOOOOO I'd rather twidle my thumbs for 40 minutes than buy credits ISI style.

Or like my car, takes half day, need to build custom parts etc. but certainly not to be case with formula cars. Luckily that is option that you can turn off and put on only for server when doing racing, not setups, damaging scares a lot as it spoils a day, I kind of like that Smile

Hmm, I like from credit system, of course should be serverside option, user selectable for single player, but as I said before, there is lot of ppl not thinking this way.
#85 - wE1l
Quote from silent_wind :huh just a question WE1l (outta the topic i know) , you're not originally chinese, are you ?? Smile , i'll bet you're just working there or moved there... Smile

Hasn't my weird English given away the fact that I am not a native speaker?Big grin

FYI, my Chinese nationality is perfectly original.Cool And now it's my turn to be the curious one---why u ask? Are u interested in learning some Chinese?Big grin
Quote :FYI, my Chinese nationality is perfectly original. And now it's my turn to be the curious one---why u ask? Are u interested in learning some Chinese?

le mee guess, no.
#87 - JJ72
Oh why, chinese ain't allowed to speak english correctly?
#88 - JTbo
Quote from JJ72 :Oh why, chinese ain't allowed to speak english correctly?

I guess that many ppl still think that english is not teached in china and is forbidden from chinese ppl. However they are not perhaps learn how China has changed recently, there is schools in China where students speak better english than most in London!

Things are changing and those who think that China is some 3rd world country may have little suprice Wink
F1C is horribly unrealistic. Times mean nothing. They could put a Formula One car in NFS: U with real tracks making it get realistic times yet that wouldnt make the game realstic. GP4 is 10X more realistic than F1C.
Quote :there is schools in China where students speak better english than most in London!

True, but in fairness London doesn't actually have that many British people in it.
Quote :As far as I'm concerned that thought process of rationalising what is and isn't acceptable is caused by the sub-consious fear inside any driver

If there's no adrenaline it's not fear. The lesser form of fear is fun, where adrenaline is delivered to the body but in measures it can make use of the adrenaline rather than let it take over. It becomes fear when so much adrenaline enters the body that normal decision making is suspended or effected and actions made purely by the adrenaline of the moment take place.

To say that rationalisation is fear is a missunderstanding of your mind and body and the way it works.
OK Becky I think your better at physicology than me Smile
Quote from ajp71 :OK Becky I think your better at physicology than me Smile

Not really...

You shouldn't take all that stuff from Becky too seriously.

I won't go any deeper into this, but that's mainly because I find it rather pointless to argue with people who think that winning some completely irrelevant kart-championship is more important than their health. :pillepall

No further comment from me on this...
#94 - JTbo
I was not going to say this, but what a heck, you keep me lunatic anyway Wink

You know saying "If you can't win the enemy, join him", you know from movies where hero is undertaker and certainly going to loose, but instead running away he turns against to superior enemy, flying, driving, running and attacking like has lost his/her brains on that last hit.

Do you know how to get rid of nightmare, specially if it repeats every night? Don't run away, turn against and attack against what ever there is that is chasing or if there is place that you scare and it starts pulling you don't try to escape run into that place.

Now what the f***, that JTbo has lost his last braincell you are thinking, maybe, maybe, but all those above are examples of winning fear with adreanaline and this is what you need in reallife, you need to enough strong/braindamaged to go against fear, giving s*** about what to come, then you find that you still are not close to limit and start really enjoying from racing, some never go above that line...

In sim racing, you would need really good imagination to feel this, even with finest VR-helmets and motion simulators you still know that no matter what you do you will be ok, it does not come from your thinking part (sorry, don't know these in english) but from not thinking part of brain, that is what works and solves problems when you sleep etc. Really sorry, I miss totally english words from this area Frown

It is quite interesting this human mind, but I should warn you, study it too much and you may get hooked Wink
Quote from JTbo : it does not come from your thinking part

Well... I guess that depends on the situation, which part we (at least men) think from.... Cool Razz
#96 - JTbo
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Well... I guess that depends on the situation, which part we (at least men) think from.... Cool Razz

Do we mens think? Big grin

Example, she was 2nd, at last season in finnish national formula ford series and 5th in Nez serie, now as you know that she is driving ahead of you, can you think overtaking, can you think at all.... Wink
Problem being men comes here as some parts of us are trying to overtake what we would like to do (overtake and win a race for you silly ones) easily you are too polite, can you honestly say that you could fight same way if she would be men?
This is one thing also that racers today has to face Smile

Below fear you are in control, above fear you may or may not be in control, with practise you gain control little by little.
to follow up on becky's example of her crash

anyone remember warrick's crash at the italian gp where he went round the last bend, on his side against the armco and came to rest on the main straight with cars going round him

jumped out of car and into spare for restart

going to an earlier point

anyone seen peterson in the lotus 72 at woodcote?

flat out and sideways, no lift, no brake, no underbody downforce, basic "wings" i.e. stub wings on nose and a simple rear wing shape

cant find a pic or video but painting here

http://www.automobiliauk.com/images/ronnie-jps73.jpg
Here are two things Ayrton Senna had to say about fear (according to wikipedia):

"Fear is exciting for me"

"Fear is part of people's life. Some of them don't know how to face it, others - where I include myself - learn coexisting with it or face it, not as a negative thing, but like a autoprotection sensation"

Soo, I would certainly feel a lot less fear racing Senna in a 1980s formula-1-car than Becky on a tricycle. Even though I'm sure Becky has lapped Senna many times Wink.
:ices_rofl
Quote from Linsen :Here are two things Ayrton Senna had to say about fear (according to wikipedia):

"Fear is exciting for me"

"Fear is part of people's life. Some of them don't know how to face it, others - where I include myself - learn coexisting with it or face it, not as a negative thing, but like a autoprotection sensation"

Soo, I would certainly feel a lot less fear racing Senna in a 1980s formula-1-car than Becky on a tricycle. Even though I'm sure Becky has lapped Senna many times Wink.

I would say that Senna got it bit wrong, it is not fear that what he was excited from, but adreanaline that can be like a drug... Fear is just stimulant here.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG