The online racing simulator
'Oh wow, you have a tiny guitar...' ' NO! its a ukuele.'
Hello peeps,

This is a thread simply to either introduce you to or to get you talking about the fabulous little string instrument that is the ukulele.

An introduction : (sourced from wikipedia, so some mistakes are definate)
The ukulele, (pronounced /ˌjuːkəˈleɪliː/ YOO-kə-LAY-lee, from Hawaiian: ʻukulele [ˈʔukuˈlele]; variantly spelled ukelele in the UK), sometimes abbreviated to uke, is a chordophone classified as a plucked lute; it is a subset of the guitar family of instruments, generally with four nylon or gut strings or four courses of strings.[1]
The ukulele originated in the 19th century as a Hawaiian interpretation of a small guitar-like instrument brought to Hawaiʻi by Portuguese immigrants.[2] It gained great popularity elsewhere in the United States during the early 20th century, and from there spread internationally.
Tone and volume of the instrument vary with size and construction. Ukuleles commonly come in four sizes: soprano, concert, tenor, and baritone.

For those of you already knowing of what a ukulele is this is simply a thread to have a chat about the instrument in. I myself am a amateur to string instruments but this has to be my favorite... I currently have a Concert Eleuke ukulele and am planning on buying a few more soon.

Discuss.

Oscar.
Oscar! Love you!
Ahhh, how sweet, it's like a sweet baby guitar..
When it grows up, it grows more strings.
When it reaches puberty, i'll either become a bass or a plain guitar.
My gf plays one of these. Loves the little thing.
#5 - amp88
You could at least link to a few YouTube clips showing it off...
While my guitar gently weeps. And no, it's not a guitar he's playing.
Ahhh... nice to see a good response

@ cargame.nl : I have subscribed to julia nunes too

@ staggie and pacesetter : those are the guys who got me into the ukulele playing

Anyway... i thought i would be the first to post a picture of my actual ukulele for your veiwing pleasure or simply to waste some of your free time.

here it is : http://www.ianchadwick.com/essays/ukulele/eleuke_case.jpg

Anyway, thanks all for the replys,

Oscar.
Of all the posts in this forum, I truly believe this is the best most entertaining post ever, true music does not require electronics, mozart, bethoveen, cobain, gifted players, talented musicians.
UKELELE FTW! :P I've heard about this thing, it's a nice idea
I've got a couple of cheap soprano ukes sitting around downstairs. Had to fit new nuts and lower the bridges a bit to get them playable but they sound pretty good now.

They look funny on the shelf next to my double bass.
Some friends of ours have some toy ukes around the house. When I've played them I've always tuned them in fourths, like the lowest four strings on a guitar. This thread inspired me to look up the standard tuning, which is apparently the like top four strings (4th,major 3rd,4th) of a guitar. Now that I've learned something I can go home for the day.
I love the way this thread appears on the front page as just "Oh wow! You have a tiny....."
Erik hit the nail on the head. The cover of while my guitar gently weeps is an eargasm.
Quote from Danke :Some friends of ours have some toy ukes around the house. When I've played them I've always tuned them in fourths, like the lowest four strings on a guitar. This thread inspired me to look up the standard tuning, which is apparently the like top four strings (4th,major 3rd,4th) of a guitar. Now that I've learned something I can go home for the day.

Bear in mind the G string is actually tuned higher than the C string (it should be a thinner string). You're basically tuning to an open C6 chord, with the fifth (G) on what you'd expect to be the bass string.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Bear in mind the G string is actually tuned higher than the C string (it should be a thinner string). You're basically tuning to an open C6 chord, with the fifth (G) on what you'd expect to be the bass string.

Oh, that's different than what I thought. The toy ukes seemed to have a thicker string for the bass string. I suppose on a normal uke, the thinner/tighter string for the bass would be to even out tension? In any case, thanks for the info. Makes me want to go buy a proper uke now.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG