The online racing simulator
Looking for Kingston 4GB (Dual Channel) thats compatible with Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
Hi all! A big mistake which I've done in my recent PC build is that I didn't consider what RAM would be compatible with the MB. I got the Corsair 4GB Dominator and although, I'm unsure as to whether my system instability was because of it or the CPU, its not listed as one of the compatible RAM of the MB.

Since I've always been recommended to go with Kingston, I'm trying to find some Kingston 4GB (2x2GB / Dual Channel). I've had a read through the compatible RAM list (Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4) but I'm a little confused because I've come across 3 different chips which Kingston claim are designed for AMD based systems (1.7v-1.95v / KHX1333C7D3K2/4G | KHX1600C9D3K2/4G | KHX1800C8D3K2/4G) but I can't find any of them in the compatible list of the MB and looking through the list of the supported RAM, I've found a couple different chips (dual channel - 4GB) but they're both designed for Intel systems. I've found two 1GB setups but they're not listed on the Kingston website. So can anyone help me out? Thanks!
#2 - Jakg
RAM QVL lists are pointless - if the memory manufacture sends them RAM to test it (and a fee) they will test it - but I doubt most companies will want to give Asus 50 RAM modules to find out that their JEDEC-Standard RAM works fine in a JEDEC board.

It's much like WHQL or "Designed For Vista" stickers - largely meaningless.

As long as your RAM conforms the minimum & maximum speed / voltage / timings you will be fine. If not, the *worst* that can happen is you need some other RAM just to boot and change some setings.

Example - Asus P5K boards had "incompatibility" with some OCZ chips - truth was that some cheap OCZ sticks didn't work properly at 1.8v (the JEDEC standard) and as the P5K was delivering the exact right voltage it didnt work properly.

I had some old RAM lieing around so before installing the OCZ stuff I booted up and set a bunch of stale (i.e. slow + higher voltage) settings and then put the OCZ stuff in and it worked fine, and then I could set the correct values.
Well, the MB designated speeds are 1066Mhz - 1333Mhz and 1600Mhz so are you saying that as long as I go with RAM thats within the range of 1066Mhz-1600Mhz and the voltage matches the CPU then it should work fine?
#4 - garph
Quote from Leprekaun :Well, the MB designated speeds are 1066Mhz - 1333Mhz and 1600Mhz so are you saying that as long as I go with RAM thats within the range of 1066Mhz-1600Mhz and the voltage matches the CPU then it should work fine?

Yes and no.

Yes, get any DDR3 RAM and it will work.

No, you don't match the CPU and RAM voltages, they are seperate.

Some times you might need to tweak the voltage and timings for RAM as the motherboard might not set the correct settings automatically.
Sorry, I wasn't clear about that. I meant like the voltage of the RAM matches what is required by the CPU. I meant as in Kingston say that the voltage for the RAM states what kind of system its designed for so any RAM that requires a voltage between 1.7v-1.95v is designed for an AMD system while any RAM with a voltage below that (1.65v) is designed for an Intel system.

Kingston RAM
#6 - garph
...yeah. Thats pretty much blah, blah buy this RAM as you really need it to get the most out of your Intel/AMD system balls.

You can change the RAM voltages and timings in the bios to what ever you want so don't over think it, buy what you want.

The RAM sitting in my Intel system is at 1.8v. I had to change it (and the timings) becasue my motherboard didn't detect the correct settings.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG