The online racing simulator
Audible Indicators in cars
(13 posts, started )
Hi all,

I was thinking, perhaps as a small improvement maybe it could be an option to have the indicators making the 'tick tock' sound when you turn them on? Would be kinda cool :P

Sorry if it's a silly idea, but I thought i'd share it anyway

- Tommer
There was a discussion about this earlier. A few things I remember about it was;

Some people saying race cars remove the sound ticker.
Others saying the sound ticker would exists since it is the mechanism that changes from light on to light off state as some form of mechanical reason.
Some people agreed with the idea,
others did not.
Some people said the improvement is too small, and then the response -> why say no to small improvements.

I am probably forgetting things since I had only briefly read that thread. Not meaning any harm from saying the above, not even saying I agreed with or that there is truth in the statements just saying what I remember.

That said, I think it is an interesting improvement for the road cars. Cars that are daily drivers that are track ready as well. STD, TBO LRF etc. GTR I remain skeptical about since it is a purpose built race car, designed for the track. While some track policies may allow/require indicators, I am pretty sure there are lots that don't/disallow. So my opinion here is 50/50 for the GTR classes.
Quote from blackbird04217 :GTR I remain skeptical about since it is a purpose built race car, designed for the track. While some track policies may allow/require indicators, I am pretty sure there are lots that don't/disallow. So my opinion here is 50/50 for the GTR classes.

They do have indicators, therefor they do have indicator relays.
It is a small improvement, but it should eventually be implemented. In the meantime you can just use CSR (like you should anyway, IMO).
thay should also improve that when the wheel are centerd again ingame, the indicators stop..
Quote from morpha :They do have indicators, therefor they do have indicator relays.

I wasn't saying they didn't have relays or indicators. Just stating I am not sure the GTR class should since it is a purpose built race car, not a daily driver/track car combo. That said I understand the relay (which is required for the indicator) is what makes the sound we are all familiar with. But I just stated that with the GTR class it is a toss up whether they should even have indicators (lights included) in the first place. It is kinda like the single seaters don't have headlights or indicators - because they are purpose built race cars.
moste racecars have lights due to the races that comes late at evning/nights..
#8 - bbman
Quote from blackbird04217 :I wasn't saying they didn't have relays or indicators. Just stating I am not sure the GTR class should since it is a purpose built race car, not a daily driver/track car combo. That said I understand the relay (which is required for the indicator) is what makes the sound we are all familiar with. But I just stated that with the GTR class it is a toss up whether they should even have indicators (lights included) in the first place. It is kinda like the single seaters don't have headlights or indicators - because they are purpose built race cars.

Yes, the relay made the sound that we are all accustomed now, so much that on new cars - where you wouldn't hear a thing from the relays - the tick is reproduced by loudspeakers to give the driver feedback... Endurance racing cars (and GTRs fall into that category) often retain their indicators as a means to communicate to lapping cars, but even if the relay would make a sound it would be completely overlayed by engine and gearbox noise so you couldn't hear it anyway...
but its a nice touch to the realism..

its the small details that makes the big diffrence..
Quote from tommer :Hi all,

I was thinking, perhaps as a small improvement maybe it could be an option to have the indicators making the 'tick tock' sound when you turn them on? Would be kinda cool :P

Sorry if it's a silly idea, but I thought i'd share it anyway

- Tommer

YES, YES, YES. I agree with you. It is very easy to do for developer (add the tick-tock sound), but it could be better feeling during driving. I'm normally using the indicator when I going to PIT during race or qualification, or if I want to leave to pass me with other racer. Additional sound is very good idea, and it is no hard work for developers to implement it.
Quote from morpha :In the meantime you can just use CSR (like you should anyway, IMO).

Hmm, those are all custom sounds in that clip, no? And it has brake squeal as well, how does that work? AFAIK there isn't any "braking" soundfile in LFS? Is the engine sound custom as well?
Quote from obsolum :Hmm, those are all custom sounds in that clip, no? And it has brake squeal as well, how does that work? AFAIK there isn't any "braking" soundfile in LFS? Is the engine sound custom as well?

Brake squeal is a compromise, it can't actually detect whether the brakes should squeal or not because LFS does not provide the necessary data. So what it does is squeal depending on the speed and brake axis.
Skid samples, wind and starter motor samples are custom as well, but within LFS, not CSR.

The engine sound is a V10 pushrod, supposed to sound Viper-like. I'm now using a V8 instead, though still not quite what I want. Sadly it's rather difficult to obtain good quality samples of perfomance engines
I figured the squeal would work like that. I also like the skid and wind sounds, they're much better than the default ones. I did think the engine sounded very good but wasn't sure if it was custom as I hardly ever drive the FZR.

Would you mind sharing those sounds? I understand if you don't want to, but just thought I'd ask. They really add to the game, I think.

(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG