The online racing simulator
Switch engine to DX9
(58 posts, started )
Well if the time has come that most people have 2 or more cores maybe its time for that rewrite and if that can be done why not also write in for a newer DirextX.

Because its getting mighty hard to buy a new computer with one core.

I know people are on both sides on switching to a new DX but most would agree to use more than one core.

heck the computer i salvaged from my company has dual core and it was being thrown away. Athalon 4400 slow but I can get it to play games
DirectX has nothing to using 1 or 2 or 4 cores. Sure in the last couple years buying a single core CPU has been outdated. but many people that LFS targets do not have computers within that time. Rewriting to allow multi-core cpu advantage could be easy, or it could be extremely hard; it all depends on the way programming was designed. Considering LFS started before multi-core computers really started hitting the market I'd be surprised if multi-core support slid in without any issues.

In time Scavier will naturally progress their simulation and upgrade when they deem necessary, to newer versions of DirectX and to allow use of multi-core CPUs. But it all takes time.
But why don't LFS Team get some programmers from this forum, that would work for free or for a very small pays, and they would help LFS improve faster.
Because LFS is their hobby, enjoyment and it is their choice not to want anyone else developing it with/for them.
Quote from matijapkc :But why don't LFS Team get some programmers from this forum, that would work for free or for a very small pays, and they would help LFS improve faster.

It's like if you're a master cook, preparing your most renowned meal for a big gala evening and then invite Michael J. Fox to handle the salt shaker.
Quote from AndroidXP :It's like if you're a master cook, preparing your most renowned meal for a big gala evening and then invite Michael J. Fox to handle the salt shaker.

that's just mean
Quote from blackbird04217 :DirectX has nothing to using 1 or 2 or 4 cores. Sure in the last couple years buying a single core CPU has been outdated. but many people that LFS targets do not have computers within that time. Rewriting to allow multi-core cpu advantage could be easy, or it could be extremely hard; it all depends on the way programming was designed. Considering LFS started before multi-core computers really started hitting the market I'd be surprised if multi-core support slid in without any issues.

In time Scavier will naturally progress their simulation and upgrade when they deem necessary, to newer versions of DirectX and to allow use of multi-core CPUs. But it all takes time.

DX11 is massively multi-threaded.
Quote from Androme :DX11 is massively multi-threaded.

And not just internally, the API itself is thread-safe, passing the benefits on to the developers.

Click
Quote :The second, and biggest contribution in my opinion, is what DX11 is doing in regards to multithreading. In DX10 and DX9 apps today, multithreading is very hard ... sub routines can be threaded, such as AI, physics, particle systems and such, but the final rendering is locked sychronously to the rendering thread which spits graphics commands to the GPU. DX11 alleviates this restriction, and allows for multiple parallel resource loading, meaning that to complete a frame and issue the draw batches to the command buffer (which feeds the GPU on what to do) no one particular thread will need to lock synchronously to a single instance of a rendering thread. In otherwords, investments in quads and superquads (i.e. SMT core i7) today as well as high stream processor count GPUs will reap real, tangible benefits down the road.

Switch engine to DX9
(58 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG