The online racing simulator
A hidden gem? (to me anyway)
(43 posts, started )
With all the hype and fury going on around the new patch/new car/new track etc etc, its very easy to lose sight of the current content we have.

Now, I tend to drive the "same ol same ol" cars, normally because thats what the servers and the leagues I drive in have those cars.

Tonight I was looking for something different, I noticed a server running the RAC on Aston National, now I have never driven this car in a race and thought why not.

Wow, I am shocked, what a rush , those few races I had were probably some of the most fun and aweinspiring races I have had, what a blast, the feeling of speed, the knife edge handling, I loved every minute of it.

So what you are all saying, we knew this already, well I didnt, and I say to those that havent driven it, do it, enjoy it , leave the patch chasing to the others and drive this beauty.

Dan,
#2 - kel64
Indeed, it can be easy to stick to particular cars/tracks as that is what you are familar with. Even with our current S2, there is still plenty of content there.
I loved RA as soon as I bought S2 but there are not many servers with RA.
Quote from Kajojek(PL) :I loved RA as soon as I bought S2 but there are not many servers with RA.

Very true, and its a damn shame.

Dan,
#5 - Vain
I don't know what's wrong with the RAC but I can't drive it safely even if I only drive half the speed I usually do (literally 50% - instead of 120km/h 60km/h, and the thing still spins wildly).
So I never touch the RAC.

Vain
#6 - axus
Love the car, makes every hair on your body stand up... wow. Glad you discovered it.
Quote from Vain :I don't know what's wrong with the RAC but I can't drive it safely even if I only drive half the speed I usually do (literally 50% - instead of 120km/h 60km/h, and the thing still spins wildly).

Vain

Same I just can't keep it straight. The lack of a rear ARB is a real killer, it wiggles all over the place even when I try to drive it in a straight line, although with a lot of time setting it up I managed to get around KY National without spinning. Once.

It'd be a fantastic car if it didn't exaggerate the back end going all over the place.
-
(ussbeethoven) DELETED by ussbeethoven
Maybe it was the setup, TBH, I felt exactly like you guys, maybe it was the track that lent itself to the RAC, but it was just amazing to hook it up.

I think the low speed side is a little "squiffy", and as long as you dont floor it untill the steering is fairly straight, then I was fine, although the front left tyre was a bit hammered after 8 laps LOL.

Dan,
#9 - filur
Quote from Vain :I don't know what's wrong with the RAC but I can't drive it safely even if I only drive half the speed I usually do (literally 50% - instead of 120km/h 60km/h, and the thing still spins wildly).

Vain

A cliché of course, but it's the setup. Also, speed brings stability in the RA, at times it's way more stable then, for example, the FZ5 or XRT. I start with a setup featuring massive understeer, and dial out just enough of it to properly get round the track in question.
i bet that after we get this patch you will see alot more RA drivers out there, because right now with the bug.. its nearly impossible to keep the car on all 4 wheels the whole time, your sliding the rear around at 10 mph.. so..
Quote :I don't know what's wrong with the RAC but I can't drive it safely even if I only drive half the speed I usually do (literally 50% - instead of 120km/h 60km/h, and the thing still spins wildly).

same here.
I love the RAC. So adjustable, easy to control on the throttle. It bites of course, but it'd be boring if it didn't. I hope the new patch doesn't make them too easy.
Quote from tristancliffe :I love the RAC. So adjustable, easy to control on the throttle. It bites of course, but it'd be boring if it didn't. I hope the new patch doesn't make them too easy.

agree.
yeah Danowat, we had some fun races here tonight.
Quote from tristancliffe :I love the RAC. So adjustable, easy to control on the throttle. It bites of course, but it'd be boring if it didn't. I hope the new patch doesn't make them too easy.

Accelerating isn't boring in the RAC, nor is it overpoweringly difficult. What bothers me is that ever set I've tried the back end goes zigzagging on flat, straight pieces of tarmac. Would you happen to have a cure for this?
being careful
The set I was given for As Nat was fine, no problems, although the front camber need some tweaking to stop it melting, you are welcome to try it out.

Dan,
That Resound one? Maybe it's just my wheel FFB settings but that still does the same darn wiggling action :S
Everything is fine and perfect until you find a bump on the track.

Weeeee!

With some stability it would be the perfect car in LFS.
I find the RAC isn't hard too control when you get the hang of it but I hate oversteery cars (except historics).
-
(deggis) DELETED by deggis
-
(danowat) DELETED by danowat
-
(deggis) DELETED by deggis
Love the RAC on Kyoto Nat'l.
Quote from danowat :Not sure, here it is anyway.

That's definitely more stable, it's actually possible to keep the thing on the track now. Thanks!

Having said that, the rear toe-in is maximum. While the set is great to drive, is it realistic (I'm sceptical of any value that must be put to the vey extreme)?
Indeed, I love that little car.

Tis odd that it takes 5 seconds to hit full boost... But whatever.
i like the rac for drifting ... but i cant keep the rear in shape if i try to race with it
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken

(43 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG