The online racing simulator
Budget HDD?
(14 posts, started )
Budget HDD?
Which is the best budget HDD for video recording? Atm i just have a cheap 250gb so would like a new one roughly the same time which i can record videos to, put music in, videos.. You know the jargen.

Thanks for any answers in advanced.
#2 - amp88
Internal or external (i.e. do you want one inside the case or outside it in an enclosure)? If internal what interface (IDE/SATA)? What type of video recording do you want to do?
Quote from amp88 :Internal or external (i.e. do you want one inside the case or outside it in an enclosure)? If internal what interface (IDE/SATA)? What type of video recording do you want to do?

Internal/External - Whatever's fastest (guessing internal)
Again IDE/SATA - Whichever's fastest.

And Fraps recording. Got an AMD X4 655 & HD5850 - Tried recording and was getting HDD Bottlenecking (guessing it's the writing speed of the drive? not really sure tbh.)

Thanks
You need internal and sata hdd. You can now start saving money. Good hdd will cost you ~60 Pounds. I can`t say that hdd you will buy will be greatest in whole wide world , but you`re searching for BUDGET HDD. You can buy 300-350gb hdd , but earlier or later you will feel lack of space in your pc. My opinion for you is : Samsung HD103SJ. 1TB , 32MB cache (it is important in theese days) , SATA (most fastest for the moment). Just don`t rush and you will buy good hdd. This samsung is way to good for films. Other`s will say : blablabla it`s to much gb`s for you. I can say that blue ray is released and high quality films taking much space in hdd. It`s better to buy not the cheapiest , but more expensive thing , thinking that it will serve you much longer than you expected
#5 - amp88
Quote from Derbis1990 :You need internal and sata hdd. You can now start saving money. Good hdd will cost you ~60 Pounds. I can`t say that hdd you will buy will be greatest in whole wide world , but you`re searching for BUDGET HDD. You can buy 300-350gb hdd , but earlier or later you will feel lack of space in your pc. My opinion for you is : Samsung HD103SJ. 1TB , 32MB cache (it is important in theese days) , SATA (most fastest for the moment). Just don`t rush and you will buy good hdd. This samsung is way to good for films. Other`s will say : blablabla it`s to much gb`s for you. I can say that blue ray is released and high quality films taking much space in hdd. It`s better to buy not the cheapiest , but more expensive thing , thinking that it will serve you much longer than you expected

Thanks a lot for the input mate, I'll be taking that into consideration

Quote from amp88 :Western Digital Caviar Blue - 500GB - £37.86
Western Digital Caviar Blue - 640GB - £44.38
Western Digital Caviar Green - 1TB - £64.70

Thanks for the links Amp. Very reasonable prices there and I'm book marking that website.

Thanks again to the both of you
Get the Caviar Black better.
Or get the spinpoint f3 1tb (which I have) reviews say it's the fastest 1tb drive. Bought 2 and run on raid 1 for $89 each on newegg.
Quote from anik360 :Or get the spinpoint f3 1tb (which I have) reviews say it's the fastest 1tb drive. Bought 2 and run on raid 1 for $89 each on newegg.

I got one too. It's almost 120mb/s average on it's own. Those HDD's amp88 suggested are not match for the F3 in terms of speed.
#10 - Jakg
Either get the F3 or the Seagate 7200.12 1TB drive. £60 for 1TB You can spend £50 on a slower Hitachi, but to save a tenner really isn't worth it.
Taking it all in guys.

Does anyone know what sort of improvement i will get in frames? I mean, it's not that poor at the moment, but will i be able to record at 60fps? I should really think/hope so, because it isn't CPU or GPU bottlenecking.
Okay well I'm still thinking about my purchase. I like to research a lot to get best performance/money .

Does anyone know about these SSD hdds? I mean, i could buy a 32gb one for roughly the same as a 1tb hdd but it seems that recording too this 32gb ssd hdd may be much increased performance over recording too the 1tb hdd. Once footage is recorded, i could obviously budge it over to my other hard drive to store it.

Does anyone know more infomation, i mean i've been looking around and have seen mixed ideas on this idea. Some say it's not worth it, but i'm an FPS freak and would love footage to be as smooth as it gets.

Thanks again
As before, get an F3.

I just got 2 F3 1TBs yesterday and popped them in RAID 0, 380MB/s burst, 240MB/s average read speeds. Not too shabby at all - and more than enough for video (the write speed is good too).

Budget HDD?
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG