The online racing simulator
Toe In? Toe Out?
(14 posts, started )
Toe In? Toe Out?
Hi. I am new here. I was driving cars when I suddenly come up with a question. If I want my car to steer better, what should i use on my front wheel configuration. Toe in or toe out? I know how that affects the rear wheels to slip or grip, but the front wheels?? I just don't know, so I thought I could ask you guys from some help on this. Million thanks.
A little toe out will make the initial turn in quicker. The drawback is that it'll make the car a bit less stable in a straight line.
toe out definitely helps in initial steering, although its funny because in lfs i struggle to feel the difference with the toe in the front. often i actually find the car steers better closer to a neutral toe compared to -0.3 toe out or whatever... thats just my opinion though.
best thing u can do is just try it
Shake it all about...
There is a limit to how much toe-out is beneficial. This is dependent on how much parallel steering (aka. Ackerman) the car has. More parallel steer will benefit from more toe-out. Less parallel steer; the inside tire will drag more with more toe-out.

then you turn yourself around...
#6 - mdmx
Quote from [DUcK] :toe out definitely helps in initial steering, although its funny because in lfs i struggle to feel the difference with the toe in the front. often i actually find the car steers better closer to a neutral toe compared to -0.3 toe out or whatever... thats just my opinion though.
best thing u can do is just try it

Yes the difference seems very small to me also. I think it's because of unrealistic tyre physics, and hopefully changes as well via new patch.
I my experience with Toe adjustments, and how they effect the feel of a car in LFS, using: really high diff-lock, soft front-end, and stiff rear-end makes geometry adjustments seem useless. If the car is reliant on the suspension for stability instead of the differential, geometry adjustments are much more noticeable, especially on the front end.

...and that's what it's all about...
#8 - senn
hokey pokey? wtf lol
You put your left-toe in, for stable entry turning left.
You take your left-toe out, for early turn-in response turning left.(nascar)
You put your left-toe in and you shake the steering wheel all about,
You do the wobble wobblies and you spin yourself around,
That's what it's all about!
#10 - Dac
More toe in = More responsive steering and visa versa. Toe out on the rear has the same effect but since the wheels do not steer like the fronts it will be more inclined to oversteer.
I thought toe-out in the rear induces more axial rotation. And that rotational momentum would cause over-steer.
#12 - Dac
Quote from legoflamb :I thought toe-out in the rear induces more axial rotation. And that rotational momentum would cause over-steer.

Yes that's supposed to be 'toe-out'. Will edit it. Problems with posting to early!
It could go either way actually. Putting toe-in on the rear limits the tire's slip-angle. While grip is maintained, the car is more stable. However, the car will break grip with less angle of the whole car in a corner. While toe-out will allow more angle of the whole car in a corner, without breaking grip; but make it more unstable.
#14 - Dac
Quote from legoflamb :It could go either way actually. Putting toe-in on the rear limits the tire's slip-angle. While grip is maintained, the car is more stable. However, the car will break grip with less angle of the whole car in a corner. While toe-out will allow more angle of the whole car in a corner, without breaking grip; but make it more unstable.

It would go either way depending on the conditions. Toe-out will create more oversteer in the middle and exit of a corner more so with throttle. Toe-in as you said will make it more stable in the entry but less so in the middle and exit as again as you said the reduced slip angle will cause the rear to lose grip earlier than if it had toe-out.

Toe In? Toe Out?
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG