The online racing simulator
Some noob questions about setup and oversteer
Hey

I've been playing LFS for a few days now with my new G27 and I have a few noob questions I was hoping someone could help me out with

Regarding setup in the logitech profiler, should I leave the degrees of rotation at 900 and adjust the ingame steering rotation per car? or should i be matching the profiler degrees to each car im driving at that time?

Again in the profiler, what settings would you recommend to start out with for overall effects strength, spring effects strength and damper strength and should enable centering spring be on or off?

In game I'm having trouble countering oversteer, when the back starts to slide no matter how fast i try to counter i can never pull it back into check. I'm not sure if its to do with my steering setup or if im just not fast enough with the wheel yet. Even the slightest slide always results in a spin which makes driving any rear wheel drive cars near the limit really hard.

One last question is there a setting so that if i depress the clutch the read out on the cars dash shows neutral rather than showing the current gear? The clutch works just the read out doesn't show N, im not sure if it should or not.

Thanks for the help
#2 - 5tag
http://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/W ... tting_up_a_Logitech_Wheel

Regarding oversteer: Try to setup your wheel correctly and try again. If you still seem to fail, take a slower car instead (XRG) and move onto a rallycross track (with rallycross car setup). As soon as the back gets loose you have to let off the throttle a fair bit, not entirely though.

Oh and your gear indicator works fine.
If you are new to 900° wheels (or even wheels in general) perhaps compromise and start at 500° for a few days, then gradually increase it. With bigger locks you need to be much quicker to catch and/or hold slides. The kiddies with their 350° wheels have a bit of an advantage there (and no downsides, as its hardly too sensitive or twitchy at 350°).

Or just set yours to 350° and go as fast as them; but that would be a waste of the G27...
#4 - dadge
Quote from tristancliffe :If you are new to 900° wheels (or even wheels in general) perhaps compromise and start at 500° for a few days, then gradually increase it. With bigger locks you need to be much quicker to catch and/or hold slides. The kiddies with their 350° wheels have a bit of an advantage there (and no downsides, as its hardly too sensitive or twitchy at 350°).

Or just set yours to 350° and go as fast as them; but that would be a waste of the G27...

exactly.
i have my g25@ 400° (got pissed off having to always change the rotation to match the cars)it's not too bad. i used to use 540° as that was the max i could turn without removing a hand from the wheel.
allot of drivers use 720°, but as tristancliffe said, it's best to start small and build up to 900°.
Lazy way:
Setup your wheel to 720 in the controller / profiler / logitech whatever
In LFS leave the casrs on default and setthe "wheel turn compensation" to 1.
You will get the designed rotations for each car, without further tweaking.
Drawback: You rely on the FFB for hardstops.

Correct way: Setup the wheel rotations in the profiler similar to what the car offers.

I use the lazy way with G25, so far still good.
Quote from Mille Sabords :Lazy way:
Setup your wheel to 720 in the controller / profiler / logitech whatever
In LFS leave the casrs on default and setthe "wheel turn compensation" to 1.
You will get the designed rotations for each car, without further tweaking.
Drawback: You rely on the FFB for hardstops.

Correction => Drawback: There are no FFB softstops for cars with lower rotation.

The G25 and G27 only have hardstops at 900° - any lower rotation setting in the profiler will use the FF motors as soft-stop at that rotation. If you set up your wheel like described above (profiler @ 720°, LFS wheel turn compensation > 0), then the wheel rotation ingame will always match your wheel 1:1, but on cars that have less than 720° rotation the ingame wheel will simply stop rotating at some point, whereas your physical wheel will continue rotating merrily until it reaches the profiler's 720° soft-stop.

That said, that's also the way I prefer to set up my wheel. If Scawen would code in a optional profiler rotation limit adjustment it would be great, but I don't particularly miss the soft stops to be honest.
It would probably be easier for Scawen to program in the soft stops himself, rather than work out how to communicate with every version of every profiler from every manufacturer.

The only limitation with that, would be that the soft stop strength would probably be limited by the max strength setting in the profiler, but that's not a major issue.
Yes, that's very much true. It's yet another IMO simple-to-implement feature missing from LFS. Most people also wisely use a profiler FF value equal or higher than 100% and adjust the final strength in LFS, making sure that the profiler doesn't artificially reduce the already weak forces at the steering-center (100% LFS, 40% profiler is completely different/worse than 40% LFS, 100% profiler).
thanks very much for the replies
Changing the values in the profiler made so much difference driving in game, theres alot more feel for the grip through the tires now

I might be able to make it round a lap now using a rear wheel drive car

thanks again

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG