The online racing simulator
First experience of LFS
(20 posts, started )
#1 - IKHAM
First experience of LFS
I had LFS downloaded on my hard drive about a month ago. Meaning to play it, but kinda forgot about it. However seeing as it was the easter weekend and i've got 4 days off work, i thought i'd give it a go and i'm glad i did.

The whole experience so far has been great. Despite the initial depressing feeling as I realised everyone around me was handing me my ass, i've now found some form and can actually finish in the top three. Although i'm still yet to get through a race without spinning at some point and haven't won yet, but hey I only started playing yesterday.

The other thing that has impressed me apart from the incredible detail and thought that's gone into the game, is the fellow racers. There seems to be a general feeling of sportmanship between racers. Everyone is out to race hard, but respectfully at the same time. It's really refreshing to see so many well behaved online players. It puts most other online games to shame.

I'll be sticking around here for a long time. I'm totally hooked and even though i will probably never get anywhere near those crazy WR times, i'm going to have a lot of fun trying, for sure.

Now all i need to do is get myself a steering wheel. This joypad isn't going to do the game any justice.
Your last sentance says it all. Just wait for the feeling of a close race with a wheel.. Ohhh mannn

Congrats on your purchase, and yes, the LFS community does dominate anything.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
id advise you not to play too much though ... you dont want to end up looking like kev ... or tristan ... or madman
#4 - IKHAM
Might be hard to resist. Although my job is going to see to it that I won't get to play it 8 hours a day.

I'm sure going to batter it this weekend though and i can't get enough of this well designed skin system.
#5 - avih
Welcome to LFS and say goodbye to the life you know
welcome to lfs yeah the good clean battles of lfs are the best feature.

with the updated physics patch coming out soon, we should expect for closer racing.
Quote from IKHAM :I had LFS downloaded on my hard drive about a month ago. Meaning to play it, but kinda forgot about it. However seeing as it was the easter weekend and i've got 4 days off work, i thought i'd give it a go and i'm glad i did.
Now all i need to do is get myself a steering wheel. This joypad isn't going to do the game any justice.

Welcome to LFS,
yes a wheel is a must. Consider buying a force feedback wheel especially since the FF implementation is just excellent in LFS.
Better get a wheel quick before you get good with your pad and you have to learn all over a again when you have your wheel. Havent experienced that myself (havent played with other controllers), but thats what I've heard.

And welcome to LFS
#9 - avih
Quote from Blackout :Better get a wheel quick before you get good with your pad and you have to learn all over a again when you have your wheel. Havent experienced that myself (havent played with other controllers), but thats what I've heard.

And welcome to LFS

nahh, it's part of the fun learning how to control the car again
Best part though is when you get a new pb with the new controller
#10 - joen
Welcome I felt the exact same way the first time i played LFS. I was instantly hooked on it. I'm sure you're going to have some great times here

Do buy a wheel though
Quote from IKHAM :The other thing that has impressed me apart from the incredible detail and thought that's gone into the game, is the fellow racers. There seems to be a general feeling of sportmanship between racers. Everyone is out to race hard, but respectfully at the same time. It's really refreshing to see so many well behaved online players. It puts most other online games to shame.

wish i could say i felt the same about this point.
the first thing i did with s2 was spectate a fox at west hill race there was some seriously close racing. Ive played other racing games online but ive not found anything that compares to lfs online racing.
I used the mouse, then i got a wheel and it is good fun with a wheel. Can feel so much of whats going on. I dont know ocmpared to a controller but wheels are fun.
Good to see someone else has signed their soul to the devs
Quote from Shotglass :id advise you not to play too much though ... you dont want to end up looking like kev ... or tristan ... or madman

lol just living up to my name

IKHAM welcome to lfs, i have been with lfs since s1 but i never really got into s1 due to the f1 99-02 dtm mod but since s2 two has been released i have been loyal only to this sim, sim is great, community is great and yes online races are awesome on the right servers.

Now go get that wheel, steal it if you have to and start enjoying lfs to the full the hardcore way...

mad

company policy statement: we cannot guarantee that you wont end up looking like my avatar!!!!
Welcome to LFS I have to agree that in genral your comment about respectfull drivers hold true for me .

SD.

PS Madman and Kev those new avatars are just plain scary..
Welcome. The community is on the whole very nice and friendly, friendlier and closer racing still in the leagues.

Sometimes, like Fox racing at SO Classic, you just know you are in for some big accidents and you have to accept that 1 or 2 racers will be blown by somebody elses accident, it's the nature of the car/track combo - and not everyone remembers that. All the same, it's great fun.
Yes i've already experienced this close racing yesterday. I actually managed to take the lead for the first time into turn one. What a buzz to make a clean manouvere like that. Unfortunately the guys behind were clearly more experienced and about a second a lap faster than me.

I managed to hold them up for the lap, but out of the last corner the backend slid out just a little. Of course the guy behind was climbing all over me down the straight. I held the racing line, but he went for a small down the outside into turn one.

Unfortunately there wasn't enough room and clipped me. Sending us both barrelling into the barriers. Total wrecks. But i just laughed because it was so much fun. Most memorable race so far even though i only did 1 lap. Glad i saved the replay as in future i'm sure i'll look back on it with that warm fuzzy feeling of nostalgia.
Welcome!
Quote from IKHAM :...But i just laughed because it was so much fun...

Perfect, keep it up!
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from thisnameistaken :(I think some of the more obsessive people keep half a dozen different versions lying around!).

half ?!? a dozen is about the number of p compatible version i have on my disk
Quote from richy :wish i could say i felt the same about this point.

That's pretty rich coming from a man who ties women to railway tracks.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Er... We're due a big physics patch in a few days that will break all your replays. Sorry

If you really do want to save stuff like that for posterity, then you'll have to use this version of LFS to watch them. Fortunately you can have more than one version of LFS on your computer at any given time (I think some of the more obsessive people keep half a dozen different versions lying around!).

Doh! Well i might record a video then.

First experience of LFS
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG