The online racing simulator
Circuit Guides
(12 posts, started )
Circuit Guides
I searched the forum for a thread about these but didn't turn up any results so I'm planning to make a series of them for each track (of course help would be needed or else they'd never get finished )

I'm going to start work on FE Green today (taking screenshots of the corners and getting a movie of a 1:03.xx lap).

At the moment I'm planning on having it on a web page but I think it would be easier on bandwidth and better all-round to make a flash program out of it. Now, I do not have the skills or the program to make this so I'm asking for someone (or a few people) to help create the flash program. I'm also asking for a few people to help get the content for the guides.

Please post any comments, applications etc. here.
#2 - Vain
Nice idea. I like it really. I saw a Nürburgring-trackguide some months ago and thought "Every track should have that". A picture of every corner with a mark on the turn-in point, the apex and a car currently driving the most interesting spot.
For that project I'd go for a simple html-website. No fancy stuff needed or desired.

Vain
A simple map with valuable pointers would be all thats needed, search for apex's guide to blackwood (s1 days i'm afraid) it wasn't perfect but showed you where you should be at least. although a replay would be good too.

Although you've got to remember that there are a total 414 combos of cars and tracks to make guides for, unless you were to do a general guide for each layout it looks like an unsurmountable task.

It would make more sense to make a few guides for the more novice player since it's a lot harder to learn the tracks when you'r elearning to drive at the same time.

my suggestions are: Blackwood (obviously) Fe green (good choice) and AS national/club.

It might be an idea to make a nice, simple exaple of a guide and then ask the community to make similar guides for each combo, it's gotta be kept relatively simple tho' if you make it too complicated it won't get done.

BTW you can get a nice map of each track using LFS spectate or a replay analyser (using the CMX files on Liveforspeed.net)
#5 - Vain
1. An apex guide would just be screenshoting the WR line out of F1perfview.
2. A trackguide is general for all cars. It doesn't say "1337 km/h on this spot" but "On corner exit of blackwood's T1 the inner line is dangerous because of a slight bump. One should always try to follow the ideal line or, in case of it being blocked, should be aware that grip might be lower than expected."

Vain
Quote from Vain :1. An apex guide would just be screenshoting the WR line out of F1perfview.
2. A trackguide is general for all cars. It doesn't say "1337 km/h on this spot" but "On corner exit of blackwood's T1 the inner line is dangerous because of a slight bump. One should always try to follow the ideal line or, in case of it being blocked, should be aware that grip might be lower than expected."

Vain

Of course, this was specific for the FXO because that was what was required at the time, but I am sure that some a bit less specific could be done, although I am not sure a "general" one would work to well

Dan,
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
good guide dano! nice layout and plenty of info although it was mainly related to the FXO. and the trouble with a general guide is that you'd have to make it usefull to every kind of car, from UF1000 to F08. it makes sense to have a general guide (827 combos including reversals) but you'll have to heve little notes explaining the different approaches for different cars.

Dan's guide is a pretty damn good example of what should be done although a map with several (different cars) lines illustrated (with brake zones etc) to show how it changes from car to car.
#8 - Vain
Quote from danowat :Of course, this was specific for the FXO because that was what was required at the time, but I am sure that some a bit less specific could be done, although I am not sure a "general" one would work to well

Dan,

Your guide was quite nice for the desired effect. You wanted to introduce people to FE Green/FXO and you did.
My posts really wasn't aimed at you.

But a suggestion for future guides: Try to capture screenshots where a car is driving some specific spot you want to talk about. For example in T1 you could screenshot a nice overview with an FXO turning in too early, so you can talk about typical errors while still having graphical representation of what you are writing about. That allows detailed discussion without turning the reader down with lots of theoretical text. And on a side note, it looks nice.

Vain
I was a bit of a comprimise, I did try to do something similar, but in the end settled for a less intense, "lite" guide.

The screenies (which I can't take all the credit for, Kev did the little layout in the corner ), were deliberatly meant to give an overview of the corner, rather than bombard the reader with to much info.

TBH, when I first started the guide, I though this will be easy, no problem, but it is actually quite difficult to get the balance of too much and too little info.

Dan,
Quote from danowat : rather than bombard the reader with to much info.

TBH, when I first started the guide, I though this will be easy, no problem, but it is actually quite difficult to get the balance of too much and too little info.

Dan,

Too much info is a bad thing, it would be difficult to do a really general guide without being a chore to do. It'll be an idea to do a guide for each course with sub-sections going into more detail and Road, sports, GTR and SS classes. to cover individual cars would be a nightmare, i still cant belive there are 827 combo's (not including autocross/skidpan/carpark)
Cheers Dano - I introduced myself to FE Green yesterday and was going horribly. Some good pointers for me.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken

Circuit Guides
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG