The online racing simulator
Bernie: F1 Circuits Should Have Short-Cuts
Link

Quote :Ecclestone revealed that he would like to introduce short-cuts at each circuit, with each car allowed to use the advantage five times during a race. “Then you wouldn’t get stuck behind a slower car,” he said. “I’ve tried to push the teams on this because I don’t think the efforts to increase overtaking are working.”

Way to miss the point there, old chap.

Time to send him to the retirement home
#3 - J@tko
So, you take the short-cut to overtake someone, then they just take it next lap to take the position straight back
This is not going to happen on more levels than Canary Wharf.
-
(crashgate2) DELETED by franky500 : Troll (+ replies)
#6 - JJ72
well, he is really thinking outside the box lol
Bernie never fails to surprise me with his "exellent" ideas. Even when it looks like it cant go any sillier.
He needs to stop putting his wrinkled disco stick into pies that are too hot. What a retard.
Just another one of his publicity stunts. Bernie likes being in the papers.

Either way...

Rocker. He's off it.
That's so NFS!
#11 - 5haz
I want to punch this bloke.

The best way to make racing more interesting is to leave more to chance or risk, but Bernie has helped promote a move towards a sport where everything is systematic and controlled within restrictive boundaries (so and so can only be used 'five times a race' or 'for 10 seconds a lap').

The sport is becoming more and more artificial, Its like Bernie wants to turn F1 into an equivalent of WWE, fake entertainment, but very profitable.

The reason efforts to improve overtaking aren't working is because they're doing almost the exact opposite, restricting freedom and variety even further. And short cutting is not overtaking!
Quote from 5haz :The reason efforts to improve vertaking aren't working is becausethey're doing almost the exact opposite, restricting freedom and variety even further. And short cutting is not overtaking!

I think a less prescriptive formula and a budget cap would be a good idea, but you'd have to pair it with a formula that demotes the importance of aero grip. Unfortunately you can't un-do science. Aero understanding isn't going to go away, no matter what you do. And since Senna died nobody's going to recommend ground effect as the solution.
#13 - JJ72
Quote from 5haz :The sport is becoming more and more artificial, Its like Bernie wants to turn F1 into an equivalent of WWE, fake entertainment, but very profitable.

That would make an epic parody, if I have a real time media project I might just do this one.
Roflmao, is that old man serious?
It's perfect. We're 1 step closer to real life Speed Racer!
Boy F1 must be in be so deep in shit right now that they're introducing this.
IMO F1 should start over, a mileage target, budget cap and safety criteria would be the only restricting factors....I have a hunch F1'd be interesting again
That old man should be in a residence receiving mental treatment :bananadea
I am willing to accept most answers as ways to improve but that thinking is outside the box for definate. Well so far out the box I think we need lerts back for his 'transdimensional umnbrella shaped wormhole portal' outside the box.

Since free reign stopped in F1 overtaking stopped. I agree ground effects can be dangerous but why not leave free reign on other factors. Restrict the engine to say N/A 2.5 L V8 and standard wheels/tyres but leave everything else to the teams.
man, he's messing around at the wroong place...
No words for bernie.

He's fails so damn hard with all his stupid suggestions.
:nurse: "Thaaat's it, come along now Mr E; these gentlemen will take you to a safe place."

Quote from dungbeetle ::nurse: "Thaaat's it, come along now Mr E; these gentlemen will take you to a safe place."

+9001
It's just Bernie suggesting something ludicrous to get the ball moving. Like the winner medals - I don't believe he ever actually wanted it for real, but wanted to get the points system sorted. Nobody was moving, so by forcing through something stupid they got off their asses and came up with a change.

Not that I like the new points system anyway. At least keep it vaguely close to 10 points for a win so that comparisons with history remain partially valid.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG