The online racing simulator
Proper PC rig for cheap...
(17 posts, started )
Another thread by me, this time serious

I want a new rig. Today on the horrifying LLWS race, behind 15 cars i got about 15 fps. AVG fps i get alone is 100fps, with 8xAA and 16xAF.

Counter-Strike I get 60 fps on full servers, 110fps on Benchmark.

I want a new rig, as this prebuilt POS is crap, I dont even know what PSU it got :|

I need something for cheap like 450€-600€ as i dont really have money for better atm, I know the pc i have atm is not really good but it used to ran GTA IV properly, now barely struggles and i need to lower graphics settings. Current rig:

AMD Athlon +4000 Dual Core, stock speed 2.1GHz
2GB RAM
160GB HDD
sapphire Radeon HD4670 512MB
some cheap mobo
some cheap psu
some cheap case
Sorry for not mentioning, but I would not like an another AMD CPU rig, because ive had basically enough of them.
Just got me an AMD Phenom II X2 550. Around 80€ i paid. Averages 250 odd in CSS benchmark with everything on full. This is with a Sapphire HD5750 GFX card that cost me a little over 100€.

LFS i used to get 20fps at the back of an online full grid with shitty graphics settings. Now i get 80fps at the back of an AI grid with full graphic settings!

However my mobo required DDR3 RAM and i was lucky to get that cheap.

And not wanting an AMD rig is just stupid. Go for what works at the price you want. The phenom II chips are currently better than core 2 chips on a perfomance vs price basis. I have done a fair bit of research over the past few months as i purchased my pc in the last few weeks.
Core 2 Duo E8400 (or E8500 if you will have spare moneys)
4GB RAM (if you need 8... take 8)
HDD - 2x1TB or at least one 1TB if you can't afford two.
PSU- Corsair 550W
Videocard - that very depends on what you are going to play, if you need 1000 fps in crysis you should get GeForce GTX 260 + some Tesla
You should be having absolutely no problems with that rig at all, prebuilt or not those are some decent specs for LFS.

I'd say you need to format your hardrive, or at least figure out what's using up resources. Even my computer which has a single threaded P4 3.2ghz and an AGP HD3850 doesn't run that slow.

Sounds like you've got alot of background processes killing CPU time.
if you go AMD, you could get a phenom II 945, ATi 5770, and 4gb ram system for around that amount, maybe. I that would hold you for a while.

either way, you should really not try to go lower than a q9550 or a Phenom II quad if spend a decent amount of time gaming.
Quote from DragonCommando :You should be having absolutely no problems with that rig at all, prebuilt or not those are some decent specs for LFS.

Wrong, that CPU is very weak.

I have X2 6000+ and yet I barely get over 40 fps in behind of full AI grid (I am sure it's not bottlenecked by GPU, cause fps was same when I tried it with borrowed GTX 285)
Quote from DragonCommando :You should be having absolutely no problems with that rig at all, prebuilt or not those are some decent specs for LFS.

I'd say you need to format your hardrive, or at least figure out what's using up resources. Even my computer which has a single threaded P4 3.2ghz and an AGP HD3850 doesn't run that slow.

Sounds like you've got alot of background processes killing CPU time.

Quote from Shadowww :Wrong, that CPU is very weak.

I have X2 6000+ and yet I barely get over 40 fps in behind of full AI grid (I am sure it's not bottlenecked by GPU, cause fps was same when I tried it with borrowed GTX 285)

AI isn't online though is it? When running AI your processor is having to do a lot more calculations for all the other cars, whereas online your PC is just being told where the other cars should be. It's not having to calculate their physics like it does for the AIs.

Yes but when public servers and league has about 30 cars in grid, start in middle or back i get only a small amount of FPS - take a look at this screenshot i did from yesterdays LLWS event, from my position in middle, out of 30 cars(view attachment)
Lowest FPS was around 8fps and highest 50fps
this is a clean install of LFS, with running 2xAA and 8xAF with all graphics settings full on LFS

Oh well I might just stick to Counter-Strike 1.6 and Elastomania for now.

And ignore my comment about the AMD processor, I am just thinking they are POS, because my current CPU is an AMD Athlon64x2+4000 and even when I overclock it, the results are same, no fps gain(maybe 0.1-1fps)

The GFX card is also a cheap one, I bought it for 75€ as new - It was quite cheap and powerful after i bought it but it's lost its powers quite much after 1,5-2 years or so.

So yeah, I would love a new rig, with cheap and hopefully quite powerful compared to it's price

thanks for the responds so far, i'll see what i can myself find,
nikopdr

EDIT: FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUU-, forgot the image
Attached images
pcsux.jpg
How about getting a new i3 combo? They're really cheap. Then a 5750 card. And there you have a future gaming PC.
small bump

I have been searching through online stores but basically I dont know shit about cpu + other's specs so basically all I try to find is something cheap.

I still need help on selecting parts etc, any help is appreciated.
call around, ask if you can custom order, give your pricerange, about 50 less then your actual, and get quote numbers.

i got mine with a deal of some company because once they sold a cirtain amount then the deal is over. i then got a new video card, and full lfs, and never seen below 59.9 fps

on single player i think it is about 250, that was before new video card
Quote :
How about getting a new i3 combo? They're really cheap. Then a 5750 card. And there you have a future gaming PC.

Beem3r, I can get this locally and i am looking to build a new boat to play mainly LFS on. What do you guys think about this CPU and MOBO?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/app ... =5635016&Sku=B69-4084
Keep in mind that tigerdirect.com is the American website and the prices are in USD. Check tigerdirect.ca for Canadian prices. Or better yet use canadacomputers.com because they have much lower prices than tiger. Tiger is known to have the highest prices.
That is the second person who has told me that! ok awesome thanks very much.

Does that sound like a good package? I stopped in at a shop and they told me they had just installed the first one and were going to test it. but the specs were supposively really great.

Quote :
Keep in mind that tigerdirect.com is the American website and the prices are in USD. Check tigerdirect.ca for Canadian prices. Or better yet use canadacomputers.com because they have much lower prices than tiger. Tiger is known to have the highest prices.

i got my g25 off there for very cheap
You may get 2x at most performance gain in getting a 5750. You might as well get a 4870. It will probably cost less, and you get easily 30% more. A 4890 will do you even more good! In your scenario, it isn't your GPU that can't render the picture; it is the crappy CPU that can't calculate everything. If I were you, I would get a better CPU, and keep that GPU for now. the 4670 is a good card, IMO. Getting the 5750, meh. Get a better card for the money. A 4850 may be good; they give a higher bang for the buck!

EDIT: You may not get as much performance out of an i3 as you think. Depends on price, but those things may even perform worse than an E72. W/e, you should check some benchies.

(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG