The online racing simulator
Why "Live for Speed" ?
(61 posts, started )
Why "Live for Speed" ?
Why was this name chosen in the beginning? Not that I don't like it, but everytime some friend of mine asks what's my favorite game and I say "Live for Speed", they respond in confusion: "You mean Need for Speed, right?"

And then I have to explain that LFS is a racing simulator and they go on: "Yes, then you mean Need for Speed". After explaining what a racing simulator is, they finally understand that it's a different game, but still can't get their heads around the similar name.

My question is then, what lead to the name "Live for Speed" ? Was the similarity intentional? Was it a sort of "marketing" strategy in the beginning? Or was it just the developers' way of life? You know...for Speed?
haha, yeah, it gets so frustrating! ;p
Your story matches mine 100%
IIRC is was decided via a community poll over at RSC

SD.
#4 - e.M
what were other choises?
dunno, maybe iSpeed Racing simulator Simulator of a decade..
Quote from e.M :what were other choises?

Unfortunatly it looks like RSC forum could be permently down

unless someone with a better (younger?) memory than mine can remember, I havn't a clue I think it was in late 2002 but can't be sure.

I remember voting for the logo also

SD.

Rfactor, iRacing. But that names didn't make it
In my mind, Its just a term that racing Is Life.
Live for Race!
Because you need live long virtual life to be fast
Enjoyed your story. Totally same here
need for speed, lol
I like the name - "Life for speed" - it nicely defines the game and my feeling while playing it but it is really confusing for people who hear the name for the first time and I also hate the whole explaining that no, I am not a 10-year old child playing nfs... this is something far different...
I remember only one time that a friend of mine asked me what I was playing on the wheel and I said Live for speed and I automatically started explaining and he stopped me that he knew the game

and the other problem is...when I explain it is a great simulator and they want to try it, majority of them cant make one corner properly which seems like it is very far from reality but I think the problem is they dont feel the speed because going 80kph in lfs is like going 30kph in a real car...if you dont feel the forces it really degrades feeling of speed
#16 - th84
If the vote took place today, the winner would be "Live for Updates".

"Moaners Heaven" but there was a bar in Tijuana that has the right of this name ,so Lfs was the second choice.
Kinda similar thing was asked from me too once, I said also "Live for speed" and then I get a response asking me, which one of it you're playing? I was like omg.. and had to repeat the name many times...
Quote from bavorak :...I think the problem is they dont feel the speed because going 80kph in lfs is like going 30kph in a real car...if you dont feel the forces it really degrades feeling of speed

That's because of the fov. One of the main things which help you to feel the speed are the sides of the road passing fast. The problem is, with a single screen is not possible to see the sides as you'd do in real life. Try to adjust the fov to lets say 20 degrees and drive your car at 200kph. It looks like if you were parking the car at 0.5kph. Some other games add fake effects like motion blur, inexistent vibrations, etc to compensate this lack, but we know how LFS is so we don't want that. 3 screens is a good solution

And yeah, I have the same story when I talk someone about LFS
If anyone asks generally I go for "It's called LFS, it stands for live for speed" and more often than not they pay attention to the LFS so realise its not live for speed.

And Off topic: Why does every thread have to be a dig at the development speed :banghead:
If because of the name you have to explain to people what is the difference is between a "simulator" and a "game" then you are educating them. Which is a good thing.
Quote from JasonJ :...then you are educating them. Which is a good thing.

And hard. Some of them cry when you explain them that NFS and Race Driver are not simulators
#23 - e.M
Quote from hrtburnout :Wait for Speed.

Oh snap!

this name would fit perfectly today
im not moaning just saying
I remember my friend, who always annoyed me about I am playing LFS

He called LFS = Life For S*ckers
Quote from Mrwei :Live for Race!

In this case it would be "Live To Race!"

Btw, the same thing with me. They ask what im playng, i say lfs and then theyr like "nfs?". I like this name tho.

Why "Live for Speed" ?
(61 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG