The online racing simulator
Flavio Briatore - What do you think?
Here's the latest on Flavio's situation with the result of his appeal imminent.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/h ... t/formula_one/8440675.stm

Notwithstanding the final decision when it arrives, I'd be interested to know what people here think about this situation.

In all honesty, I can't figure out whether he should be banned for life or not.

The thing is, the thought of a team and/or driver deliberately crashing a car is scary. Obviously it's potentially very dangerous and it's certainly not in the true spirit of the game, so to speak.

However, is this behaviour any worse or more dangerous than one driver 'accidentally' colliding with another, in an attempt to either hinder his progress or end his race altogether?

EDIT:

A couple of collision examples.

Schumacher and Villeneuve in 1997:

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/ ... ks-comebacks-and-regrets/

Meanwhile Schumacher has again reiterated that the greatest regret of his career is the deliberate collision with Jacques Villeneuve in Jerez 1997, which cost him the world championship and his reputation,

“I have some moments that if I could have them again, yes I would do them differently – probably 1997 in Jerez, ” he said. “I would have had a couple of opportunities to avoid all this and still win the championship, but you take your lessons and you learn from them.”

... and the infamous Senna vs Prost incident at Suzuka in 1990:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/200 ... reatest-f1-videos-part-x/

The sequel to the 1989 encounter, and to many there more shocking of the two because of the speed at which Ayrton Senna took Alain Prost out of the race. Without a moment’s hesitation or regard for the safety of Prost, himself or any of the other drivers, Senna rammed Prost off at the first corner of the 1990 Japanese Grand Prix to win the championship. It was outrageous, but there was nothing the FIA or its incandescent President Jean-Marie Balestre could do to punish him.

Senna's radical move was inspired by his dormant fury at what had happened in 1989, and fuelled still further by his outrage at having won pole position for the race, but not being allowed to exercise what had been the fastest driver’s right to choose which side of the grid he started from. Senna reasoned that if Prost gained an advantage at the start, the responsibility for the consequences did not rest with himself. Dangerous reasoning.
#2 - wild
Personally I don't see what he's going to be doing if he does get unbanned. What team would want him now?

Renault has just announced Eric Boullier as their new team principal. That's breaking news i think
As a character, he was great for F1. As everything else I despised him. If he comes back it should be in the role as a TV pundit or something (but not for the BBC!).

Pat Symonds on the other hand should be allowed back in F1 at the earliest opportunity.
TBH I think the biggest scandal was Renault's "punishment". Total joke.
Quote :By Autosport
Briatore was awarded 15,000 euros in compensation.

lol
Quote from tristancliffe :http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80743

Overturned.

So, sounds like the FIA were attempting to act on principle (or on a personal vendetta, according to Flavio) rather than in strict accordance with the rule book.

You'd have thought there was a line in the rule book somewhere saying "Thou shalt not conspire to crash thy car deliberately", wouldn't you?

Although obviously difficult to enforce due to the burden of proof, one assumes there is no such a rule, as proof wasn't even needed in this case; Renault confessed.
I like Briatori, but the thing that happend in singapore was a bit over the limit. But not /permaban. I think he should only get a fine+2nd chance
Quote from aroX123 :I like Briatori, but the thing that happend in singapore was a bit over the limit. But not /permaban. I think he should only get a fine+2nd chance

He was given compensation, which I find fairly ridiculous. The FIA are saying sorry to him, because he was a race-fixer.
I hope he doesn't do much in F1 in the future...He's better off founding a pizzeria with that accent of his.
Quote from Senninha25 :I hope he doesn't do much in F1 in the future...He's better off founding a pizzeria with that accent of his.

Quote from Senninha25 :I hope he doesn't do much in F1 in the future...He's better off founding a pizzeria with that accent of his.

he will manipulate the pizza
he should stay out of F1 whose gonna trust this scumbag now?
He's all about money, not good for sport. I'd say: GTFO.

And lol @ pizzeria.
Well, on the same principle, Schumi should have been permanently banned after hitting Villeneuve on purpose?
Quote from Kalev EST :Well, on the same principle, Schumi should have been permanently banned after hitting Villeneuve on purpose?

yes, but that would be too severe taking the race fixing into account. all schumacher did was trying to punt his championship rival out of the race, while Briatore (boss of the new "Briatori's Mozzarella" restaurant chain) got his 2nd driver to crash his car (subsequently bringing out the SC) as a way of helping the 1st driver win the race.

So Jerez 97 was just a case of "attempted homicide", but Singapore 08 had two blokes talking their way into having one of their drivers "commit suicide" for the team's own benefit.
Which one of these do you think is worse?
Well here's how I've seen this... (warning: terrible parody ahead)

In A.D. 2010, unbanning was beginning.
FIA: what happen
Paris: somebody set up us the bomb
we get signal
FIA: what !
Paris: Main screen turn on.
FIA: It's you ! !
Briatore: How are you gentlemen ! !
All your F1 teams are belong to us.
You are on the way to ruination.
FIA: What you say ! !
Briatore: You have no chance to survive make your time.
Ha Ha Ha Ha...
Paris: FIA! !
FIA: Take off every official! !
You know what you are doing.
Move official.
For great justice.

Why was he unbanned though? Briatore ordered Piquet to plough it into the wall, and unsportsmanlike conduct like that shouldn't be overturned.
ah come on! just let him die peacefully

edit: a remark for those who posted above..... its Briatore not Briatori
Quote from Senninha25 :So Jerez 97 was just a case of "attempted homicide", but Singapore 08 had two blokes talking their way into having one of their drivers "commit suicide" for the team's own benefit.
Which one of these do you think is worse?

"Attempted homicide" ofcourse. It involved another driver who had nothing to do with it. Also spinning a car in a slow corner into the wall isn't really "commiting suicide". It's not really that different from Schumi's Monaco incident... What was the punishment for that? Starting from the back of the grid in that race?
Quote from el pibe :a remark for those who posted above..... its Briatore not Briatori

OP title corrected.

Thanks.
#23 - DeKo
So, he was let off on a technicality, go figure.
From: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/h ... t/formula_one/8440675.stm

"BBC Sport understands the FIA will launch an appeal against the decision."
A waste of time?

"The new FIA president, Jean Todt, has also talked about setting up a new disciplinary process to deal with similar incidents."
Wow, good idea!
Quote from Kalev EST :"Attempted homicide" ofcourse. It involved another driver who had nothing to do with it. Also spinning a car in a slow corner into the wall isn't really "commiting suicide". It's not really that different from Schumi's Monaco incident... What was the punishment for that? Starting from the back of the grid in that race?

Why not let the Schumi/Willy incident go over? In 70's and 80's there was so much pounding and nudging people should be out of the roof screaming ban and nazi or whaeva. The only difference back then was that the cars were build stronger so nothign would explode right at contact and it was fine. Schumi was punished, and given another chance. Thats the way world spins, and luckily, orelse we should be having 60% of worlds population banned somewhere or locked in jail.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG