The online racing simulator
Private skin "theft"
(5 posts, started )
Private skin "theft"
Hey guys - I've recently created a skin for myself and a friend, based on the gaming community we participate at.

We've uploaded them so it can be seen by others, but only him and I have the skin files. How is it possible that someone else joined our server wearing one of ours? He says he found it at Google [wtf] - but I haven't put the skin file anywhere except our PC's and LFS World.

When I see custom skins on the server, I don't have a way of using them myself, even though they've been downloaded to my machine to see them.

Or am I missing something?
When you join a server everyones skins (unless you have skin downloads set to off) are saved to your LFS\data\skins_x folder as a .dds which can then be used by anyone.

Sadly there is no way of stopping people stealing skins
My skins_x folder is completely empty... and I've downloaded/seen dozens of custom skins on servers? Still don't get it.

Edit: Ah, there are plenty inside the "skins_dds" folder. I guess that's them?

Edit 2: those dds skins seem to be the default ones provided with LFS?
check skin_y folder. its for the hi-res skins in case you enabled hi-res dowload in your lfs options

PS: yes, skin_dds is default skins and your personal ones (converted from the jpeg skins)
Ah, yes - skin_y it is. Well, that's a shame that they're simply made available to use and/or modify if you know where to look.

Private skin "theft"
(5 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG