The online racing simulator
Closed diff
(7 posts, started )
Closed diff
As far as I know, race cars never use a closed diff (only a gocart does). How come that many fast setups do use a closed diff in LFS?
Loads of real life motorsports use closed or locked diffs dont they??

The reason they are so widely used in quick setups in LFS is simply down to how fast traction can be put down, even a limited slip diff has to 'spool' if you know what i mean, to start to lock, which only takes fractions of a second, but that is a fraction of a second where one wheel isn't putting power down.
Quote :Loads of real life motorsports use closed or locked diffs dont they??

yes alot of fast cars use either welded diffs or very low slip diffs to have the least slippage, like you said.
Ok, I didn't know that.
TNX
Actually, the most likely reason is that the tyre load sensitivity in LFS is flawed which is which probably makes locked diffs work better than they should. In any way, we'll just have to see what the new tyre physics patch that will come out at some point in the future improves, and if it finally rids us of this locked diff nonsense.
#6 - Nick.
#7 - senn
most race cars, afaik, use LSD/electronically controlled diffs, not completely locked. As already mentioned, LFS is a litle "flawed" at the moment, as a lot of quick setups (most notably FXR) utilize locked diffs. Do a search, there has been a few interesting discussions on this topic over the years

Closed diff
(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG