The online racing simulator
desperate for help!
(18 posts, started )
desperate for help!
I have just signed up for LFS today, coming over from GP3 due to lack of online playing....but I am having real trouble controlling the cars! everytime I touch the accelerator it applies full throttle and spins the car, and if I do make it to a corner, as soon as I turn the wheel slightly....I spin again!

I am hoping that it is merely the wheel configuration that is causing these problems, as I know from years on GP3 that I am not a useless goon on these sims, but at the momnet I feel like throwing my computer out of the window, which would be a bit of a waste.......

My wheel is a Saitek r220, can anyone help me????????
Maybe you can download some easy to drive setups (Setup section of the forum) and you might have to be more gentle with throttle.
I will, thank you....I have also re-callibrated my wheel at the control panel, and it seems to be a bit easier now.

thanks again I will keep trying!
I had the same problem at the beginning and I was quite dissapointed. I was like oh gosh I lost 40$ But then after a week I played only on S2 servers and had a lot of fun.
...you have to think about it this way: if you could easily drive all cars at good laptimes from the beginning, then there will be no learning curve and you´d be bored of the game after a few days.
since its a sim and not a game it makes further sense that it is not that easy to drive, especially the stronger cars. have you ever tried to control a car with 250hp and up in tight racing in real life?
but with some practice and the easy race setups you could gain some improvement in a few days...
just keep on racing :eclipsee_

peace mo
I must admit, that configuring the Saitek controllers is a royal pain in the arse on occasion. I'll be a case of tweaking it until its Just Right (TM), unfortunately.
#7 - Vain
When I was new to S2 I couldn't keep anything on the track. Whatever car I chose, they'd just spin wildly. The RWD cars would spin while launching them, the FWD or AWD cars would spin once I reached a corner.
Then I had to learn what "throttle control" is. It wasn't that hard to learn because I drove a RWD car (190hp) in real life, but I wasn't used to being careful with the throttle on a PC game.
Also, later I found out that the standard setups for the cars are horrible.
So in a nutshell:
Drive slow and be very careful with everything you touch. Also get new setups for the cars here. Extract them to the data/settings-folder in your LFS-directory.

Vain
Thanks guys.......I will keep at it.

I've had a couple of RWD BMW's in the past and they have been a little touchy when on wet roads...but some of the higher spec cars on LFS are crazy touchy. But like you say a little tweeking of the setups and trial and error are the order of the day.

Problem is I need to learn patience..........

If you have anymore tips or links that enhance my learning I am eternally greatful

See ya on the track..........I'll be the one in the wall!
#9 - SamH
Quote from MOSS_DJ23 :See ya on the track..........I'll be the one in the wall!

hehe! Well, at least you won't be lonely!
Welcome to S2 and gald to see another convert

Keep it between the ditches (or at least try)
I have an R220, and was wondering, when driving in a straight line, does it slightly curve to the left?
You have a button named "C" in your controller setup screen next to your steering wheel axis. Press it and it should center your wheel
Quote from Lucasinio :I have an R220, and was wondering, when driving in a straight line, does it slightly curve to the left?

I have noticed that on the oval course once...but as I was using a loaded setup...i assumed it may be cofigured that way.

I will try Hyperactives suggestion
Quote from MOSS_DJ23 :If you have anymore tips or links that enhance my learning I am eternally greatful

See ya on the track..........I'll be the one in the wall!

It can help a great deal if you fiddle with the setup a bit, since almost all fast setups are quite unstable. For the RWD cars, try using an open diff, decrease the camber in the front a bit or increase the stiffness of the front anti-roll bars. Granted, you won't be running world record laps, but it's a lot easier to control. With a few days of practice, you will learn the behaviour of the cars, and you'll find yourself catching slides much earlier, if they do happen.

I would also suggest downloading a few replays from lfsworld.net to get a better idea of the racing line. It might also be a good idea to turn off throttle help, as that can make it quite difficult to catch slides if the power is dialed back all of a sudden.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from MOSS_DJ23 :I have noticed that on the oval course once...but as I was using a loaded setup...i assumed it may be cofigured that way.

I will try Hyperactives suggestion

I'm afraid that I'm running a R440 (original design), and in the last 4-5 years of using it, I've been unable to fix that. Its definately got progressively worse as its aged as well.

Its a real shame, as Saitek produce some pedals that last by far longer than the popular alternatives, but the wheels truely suck.
girlfriend borrowed car today, just got into it and ive got the real life version of this thanks to some a**ehole bumping it in JJb car park, gits bent dented wing, bent steering arm and moved rack in its mounts.

now wheres that c button in a renault ?
Moss, I am coming in on this a bit late, but: one thing I can suggest is making sure that you use the option to display the pedal input signals as little bars in the lower right corner of the screen (somewhere in display options). This will make it easier for you to tell whether the problem is spiky inputs from the Saitek wheel and pedals, bad calibration of the pedals, or just your own ham-footed driving (). If you're seriously getting a kind of on-off use of the accelerator, then it's probably one of the first two.

I find these pedal input displays are great for letting me know when my pedals have slipped out of calibration and I'm not actually getting full throttle when I have my foot all the way down.

I used to have a Saitek years ago and had to bin it once the potentiometers on the pedals became insufferably noisy. This might be your problem, who knows.
Quote from jtr99 :Moss, I am coming in on this a bit late, but: one thing I can suggest is making sure that you use the option to display the pedal input signals as little bars in the lower right corner of the screen (somewhere in display options). This will make it easier for you to tell whether the problem is spiky inputs from the Saitek wheel and pedals, bad calibration of the pedals, or just your own ham-footed driving (). If you're seriously getting a kind of on-off use of the accelerator, then it's probably one of the first two.

I find these pedal input displays are great for letting me know when my pedals have slipped out of calibration and I'm not actually getting full throttle when I have my foot all the way down.

I used to have a Saitek years ago and had to bin it once the potentiometers on the pedals became insufferably noisy. This might be your problem, who knows.

Thanks mate I'll see if this helps..............although I am hoping that the new patch will address the somewhat slippery nature of this sim.

Thanks again for the advise.

desperate for help!
(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG