The online racing simulator
FPS Spike's
(15 posts, started )
FPS Spike's
Hi there,

I have had LFS for about a year now. And am enjoying it fine. I have been using it over 3 different operating systems. Xp Pro 32, Vista Ultimate 64, and newest Windows 7 Ultimate 64.

All have played LFS fine with massive FPS while either starting with full grid or in middle of race or whatever. The other day I started up LFS and thought I would mess around on AS4 with the computer controlled A.I and 32 cars. I was in my Win7 boot while doing this. So I started at the back of the grid, waiting for the race to start. I was getting about 350 - 400 FPS. The race started then I noticed that the FPS would drop to 40 and then shoot back up to 350-400 again. The spike in the FPS would cause I slight pause while doing this and made driving impossible. So I installed another copy on another drive and it did the same. I even installed it on my htpc with win7 U 64 and it worked perfect (making me think it's not win7)! So I thought maybe something had happened and I would re-boot. Same thing happened again. I then booted into vista and ran it from the same directory it ran perfect. I then booted into xp and again perfect!

I have installed nothing new; I have also done no updates. So I'm kind of lost as to how this could just start doing this. Booting into xp to play the game doesn't bother me. But the fact that win7 was going fine and now started doing this is a pain in the backside!

Something is telling me that a driver has become corrupt and is causing this. When I get home tomorrow I will test some things to see what I could be. And will post back to let people know.

I'm not looking for answers, just to help other if they get the same thing happen to them.

Hope all is well

Steve

P.S Here is what I have tried so far.

While in my win7 boot, I have lowered all visual settings in LFS to minimum. Have turn on and turned off sli for my cards. Have turned V-sync off. Have installed new copy of LFS on another drive even installed it on server and ran it over network. Updated video card drivers. Sound card drivers. Checked that cpu isn't maxing while playing. None of them sorted it, infact the reducing of the visuals in LFS made it worse.

What I will do tomorrow is update the profiler for my race wheel. try without the wheel or any USB devices plugged in. check all temps while playing. check for viruses. Remove kasperski and test (encase there is conflicts). Not sure what else at the moment, but if it come to mind will write it down.
you could try turning on vsync or the FPS limiter.
nah it was on in first place.

anyway I have found the problem. but i am unable to find a fix as of yet!

it's the logitech profiller!!! I noticed that it only happened when i either shifted with the h-pattern or used the clutch and the brake at the same time. it doesnt do this in my xp install. so will now have to find a way to sort it

wish me luck
#4 - dadge
don't use the profiler. job done. i had a similar problem and switching off superfetch solved it.
ok then,

so how can i still use wheel without it? meaning setting all the FF and turn ratio's and so on....???

i wouldn't mind not using it, but need the settings.

cheers for your replies anyway
400 FPS, though i was good getting 94
#7 - dadge
Quote from nairnmonster :ok then,

so how can i still use wheel without it? meaning setting all the FF and turn ratio's and so on....???

i wouldn't mind not using it, but need the settings.

cheers for your replies anyway

windows control panel/game controllers. i have the G25 (DFP before that) and only ever installed the drivers. i've never used the profiller.
Ah, thanks!

This should solve my problem - get a similar issue, thought it was just down to my wussy PC - but now I think of it, it didn't happen before I got the Logitech FF joystick for a shifter.

Will try removing the profiler see if that fixes my problem aswell!

Cheers
Quote from nairnmonster :I was getting about 350 - 400 FPS.

400 FPS in full grid ... That a powerful machine you have there. I have 2 FPS when full grid A.I.
OK I removed the profiler and still have the problem

If i push gas, brake, clutch down slowly it's fine. soon as i push it hard and fast it get the little spike!

dont know what changed, but i think i will just have to use my xp install. im not doing another re-build of win7 just for lfs. I love the game but not that much!

i wont give up too soon though, might just find the answer!

cheers for all the help

aye spent a months wages on an upgrade, so it's a beast!
#11 - sotQ
I have the same problem - didn't have it earlier... I'm running Win7 RC 64-bit, I've limited my FPS too 100 and whenever there's other people driving, I get those fps spikes from 100 to 40 or so and back. Don't get them if I'm alone, though. I have Logitech Profiler in use, but I'm gonna install full Win7 soon anyway so I cba to do any tricks now.
aye, anyway i have just given up. i'm using my xp install and will leave it at that! ok xp doesnt let my system run at the same kind of speeds. but at least i can play it fine!!
#13 - sotQ
Seems like not using Logitech Profiler solved my problem. I now have stable 100 FPS as usual...
I run 3 OS on my gaming PC
W7 64 (7100 eva)
XP 64
and XP home.

I get the same peformance in LFS in all 3

I have never used that silly logitech profiller

Nairn do you think there maybe remnants of the profiller software that need manual removal?
I would suggest a registry search for logitech, but it would not help if you have other logi devices.

SD.
also, your soundcard driver could be an issue. i researched this error as it was affecting my recording (DJ). i bought a new soudcard and it solved the problem (slightly). after further research, i found that turning off the indexing on win7 and also superfetch completely stopped the lagging.
it may take a few seconds to load something due to superfetch being switched of but at least i'm dancing
i probs didn't need the new sound card but meh, i have one now and i only paid £25 for it.

FPS Spike's
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG