The online racing simulator
Quick Mic Question
(28 posts, started )
Quick Mic Question
Sorry for the noob question, but is it possible to use a usb logitech mic in game to talk to others? An alternative to typing would be great.

If you can, which mic are you guys using and do you sugggest? I was thinking a logitech just cause I am a major fan of there products.
No, there is no ingame voice chat. You have to use some third party voice communication software, like TeamSpeak, Ventrilo, Skype, etc. if you want to chat with others, but of course the others also have to use those services then.
Do you know if anyone has posted it in the Improvement Suggestions forum yet?

I think it would be a great addition to the game, that iRacing uses.
It's been suggested, but it's a stupid idea. I don't want to hear 10 year olds screaming when they realise they can't drive. And why should Scawen waste time implementing something in LFS that TeamSpeak and Ventrilo can do better?

It's a racing game, not a chat game, and Scawen should (and does, generally) concentrate on that aspect.
Quote from tristancliffe :It's been suggested, but it's a stupid idea. I don't want to hear 10 year olds screaming when they realise they can't drive. And why should Scawen waste time implementing something in LFS that TeamSpeak and Ventrilo can do better?

It's a racing game, not a chat game, and Scawen should (and does, generally) concentrate on that aspect.

Agreed
Good point tristancliffe, but wouldn't it be nice the just have the simplicity of being able to plug in and talk?
Without having to download another program, and do all the non-sense to set it up?

I say non-sense cause i'm not familliar with TeamSpeak or Ventrilo
Voice commands on the other hand would be very useful, perhaps even with a simulated pit crew. Would definitely be a lot less dangerous than F12
The non-sense (or nonsense) you speak of is trivial. Downloading takes seconds, installing takes seconds, configuring takes seconds. Buying the mic in the first place takes minutes or hours.

Adding it directly to LFS would be adding Bloatware, and chances are it would be very good Bloat either. How would Scawen effectively be able to complete in terms of connection quality versus Vent or TS, whilst also trying to code a simulator?

Morpha:

"Change tyres. No, change tyres. C H A N G E T Y R E S. Delete. Backspace. Undo. I said FECKING CHANGE TYRES. No I don't want to retire. No I don't want to share my se... okay, you sent my fecking setup. Stop it. No, not the pit crew - you carry on. Just change my tyres. Sod it, I'll do a Lewis and drive on canvas".
Alright, you win. Lol

But could you point me in the dirrection of mics to buy?

I really do love logitech, but I have always owned Turtle Beach for 360.
Quote from 2High2Shift :Good point tristancliffe, but wouldn't it be nice the just have the simplicity of being able to plug in and talk?
Without having to download another program, and do all the non-sense to set it up?

I say non-sense cause i'm not familliar with TeamSpeak or Ventrilo

Plug mic/headset in, install TS/Vent, put in server details, select push to talk button, and talk? The only difference is that iRacing handles the voice server stuff, but you pay them $x amount per month for the privilege.

Any mic/headset over say £10 will be adequate tbh.
Do you the know the conversion of £10 to U.S. American Dollars?
Google says ~$15, like most things you get what you pay for so you don't want to go too cheap otherwise it might be of crap quality.
#14 - Jakg
I use some crazy el-cheapo Plantronics Xbox headset with a £0.97 USB soundcard. If that sounds ok on TeamSpeak, anything will be fine.
Except you sound ike you've been vigourously masturbating all the time...

>.>
Excellent mic quality, then.
@2High2Shift - Keep in mind, though, that even with Teamspeak and/or Ventrilo installed you still won't be able to just hop on any server and talk with the people on that server. Some servers have their own TS/Vent server setup to which you can connect (some require a password which you can obtain by registering on their forum), but the majority of pick up servers in LFS don't have such a server.
I've thought about whether this would be a good implementation before. Quite frankly I think there is enough mic spamming in games that don't require as much concentration as a racing sim.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Except you sound ike you've been vigourously masturbating all the time...

>.>

Thats because he is vigourously masturbating all the time!

You've seen his picture?

Show me a guy that age that says he doesn't masturbate all the time(even if he does have a hot girlfriend) and I'll show you a liar.
a bluetooth dongle and a incar hands free earpeice works a charm. the codec in ts is not the best codec in the world so a lower quallity mic is not an issue.
I love my freaking PS3 headset actually with Teamspeak, a lot nicer to use.
having a virtual soundcard also means you can use programs like VDJ quite well. you can use a second sound card too but usb is cheaper.
the other night i was messing about with VDJ and caught myself mixing some U2 into some Black Eyed Peas. the strange thing was that it sounded really good.
I dunno, The worst part of the U2 concert I went to was the Black Eyed Peas opening. I would have killed to be at the concerts that Muse opened.
but the best part was knowing that it was their last song (BEP). it was old (good) U2 also. the song was "Sunday Bloody Sunday" the intro was to be fair rocking. it made the mix easy.
I just can't stand them. Yeah the music is tolerable, but I just can't get into it. I was more pumped for the first few songs that U2 played, that it made the standing in line for the good floor spot for 5 hours worth it.

Quick Mic Question
(28 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG