The online racing simulator
Help me to choose a brand
(75 posts, started )
Well, I'm studying transportation design and I have to start with a new project. It consists on designing a car for a brand which has never produced a car before. I feel like to design a car like the KTM Xbox or Ariel Atom, but the only brands in which a car like this fits are motorbike or combat airplanes companies. Theachers told me is better to avoid them, since a Ducati car, for example, is too predictable because everyone can imagine a car with Xbow style, in red and golden rims; and combat airplanes are "related to war" so is not a good idea for some sensitive people.

I did the same last year and I chose Razer, but I'm not happy at all with the result so I wouldn't mind to choose another brand related to computers and take it like a second attempt.

Organizations and architectural companies or designers are also possible to choose.

So, if you can give me some ideas could be great. Please don't take this like a small and useless homework for school because a good, professional, realistic and viable project can give a me a job in the future

I have some ideas in mind but before deciding I'd like to hear other alternatives

Thx
Durex?
#3 - aoun
Logitech?, Microsoft?. Maybe something in the technology department as it can merge well with the mechanical department.
#4 - JJ72
Quote from NitroNitrous :KTM Xbox

'
HAHA

I'll suggest something that has to do with precision, engineering and maybe speed, probably a watch maker. (actually swatch did involve in the smart car)

Or from a totally different concept, where car is a daily accessory or furniture, maybe a philippe s+arck car? or a droog design car (would be very cool).
#5 - aoun
Apple iCar

We have a winner with the apple iCar...

/thread
As I was scrolling down I thought to myself, just use Apple, and there it was already suggested. iCar should be a cakewalk, do it.
Lynx (Axe) might be a good one, just because they have the right kind of image for an Xbow style car. You could have an advert that plays on the fact that cool cars don't get you chicks, but then have a Lynx (Axe) car drive past covered in hot women hanging on. That or any energy drink company like Monster or Red Bull.
#9 - JJ72
Quote from TagForce :We have a winner with the apple iCar...

/thread

not as good as the IKEA car.

Quote from JJ72 :not as good as the IKEA car.

I work at IKEA, I have had customers returning electrical products saying they are faulty because they put the batteries in the wrong way, and people can't put together products that only have 2 screws. So letting an IKEA customer put together an entire car would be like leaving your pet kitten in a blender and asking someone with a compulsion to push buttons to look after it while you pop out to the shops to get a pint of milk.
How about Saitek, the joystick manufacturer?

A car in the same style as their Cyborg range of joysticks would actually end up pretty similar to the Ariel Atom I imagine. It could even mirror the configurability of Cyborg joysticks (the fact that you can move parts around so it suits your purpose) to reconfigure itself for different situations.

iDrive?

Used for my project last year in Promoting new "young persons car" in Graphic Designs.

Got complimented for it.
Quote from danowat :Durex?

First brand that came to my mind Not enough serious and not viable at all

Quote from aoun :Logitech?, Microsoft?...

Thought about both. The problem with Logitech is that they produce high end and expensive stuff but also generic, cheap and crappy, so a Logitech car should be a car for everyone. I find Microsoft kind of boring

Quote from JJ72 :'
HAHA

LOL :banghead:

Quote from JJ72 :...a watch maker. (actually swatch did involve in the smart car)

I don't know too much about watch makers and don't like them at all (I use my phone for checking the time )

Quote from JJ72 :Or from a totally different concept, where car is a daily accessory or furniture, maybe a philippe s+arck car? or a droog design car (would be very cool).

That guy who made that useless juice squeezer? In case I choose a brand with that kind of design would be LianLi probably

Quote from aoun :Apple iCar

Easiest idea ever. Is the example that every teacher uses for the lesson. Besides I hate Apple

Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Lynx (Axe)

Do you mean this Lynx or Lynx is the way you call Axe in your country? I'll think about it...

Quote from ATC Quicksilver :...Monster or Red Bull.

Red Bull is too "frayed" but Monster was suggested by a friend and I liked it. I'll keep it in mind.

Quote from JJ72 :not as good as the IKEA car.

I've seen that before. Would not be the car I have in mind..

Quote from Crashgate3 :How about Saitek, the joystick manufacturer?

I consider Saitek as a low end and cheap gaming accessories brand but the idea is really nice. I'll check what other companies are producing similar products

Quote from DevilDare :iDrive

Is that the Apple car?

Thanks a lot for your ideas, feel free to add even more. I have to make my decision for next Monday and prepare an initial research
if you were to think about a watch manufacturer try breitling as they already are connected with aerobatic planes so it could give you a few more design hints to play with.

since this isn't a real world commision why not turn the whole project around and first design the car you want to design and then find a brand that fits it afterwards and tweak the design if needed.

on a less serious note how about LEGO
-
(Shadowww) DELETED by Shadowww
Quote from tinvek :if you were to think about a watch manufacturer try breitling as they already are connected with aerobatic planes so it could give you a few more design hints to play with.

That's a nice idea, I'll investigate

Quote from tinvek :since this isn't a real world commision why not turn the whole project around and first design the car you want to design and then find a brand that fits it afterwards and tweak the design if needed.

That's not the point of the project. I have to take the values of a brand and be able to transmite them into the car.

Quote from tinvek :...on a less serious note how about LEGO

That's a really good brand for a project like this, but my Korean mate chose it last year

Quote from Equinox :Bang & Olufsen (Audio systems - http://www.bang-olufsen.com/)

Amazing stuff there, I love it, but I think a car like the want I'd like to design does not fit at all... A car for that brand could be cool though

Quote from Equinox :Swarovski Crystal (Crystals etc. - http://www.swarovski.com/Web_GB/en/index)

They already have a car
Moen
What about Boeing or Lockheed? You could make a pretty sweet car from these.
Quote from mhartma5 :Moen

Could be a nice car from there, but for a clean and minimalistic design I have other brands in mind

Quote from BlueFlame :What about Boeing or Lockheed? You could make a pretty sweet car from these.

Lockheed was in my mind until I spoke with the teachers and told me it's related to war (F22, F117, etc...) Boeing would be a kind of bus instead of a radical car just for fun because of the commercial aircrafts, and in case I design something inspired in their miitary stuff is the same problem with Lockheed...
If you want to design something that feels combatty / motorbikey but dont want to draw directly on combat or motorbike brands - then go for a brand that associates itself with these things...

Gilette immediately springs to my mind, they have those jet aeroplanes on their TV adverts and things: Plus, as they're supposedly the best a man can get you dont need a boot for the shopping, and can install a beer can holder
What about a watch company: Rolex or Cartier or maybe a luxury yacht manufacturer, like Riva?
Quote from Dik Dolan :What about a watch company: Rolex or Cartier or maybe a luxury yacht manufacturer, like Riva?

Ayup Dik, not seen you in winVroc for a while
It's true that Gillette uses airplanes on their adverts but I always wonder why Eaven using Gillette razors myself for some reason I don't see a Gillette car attractive... but I'll think about it

Rolex has been taken. Cartier and yacth brands are too luxury maybe, I think a car for them should be a big sedan or an expensive coupe like Bentley Continental...
Ayup=)
I'm lurking in there now

(75 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG