The online racing simulator
Game lag & FPS
(24 posts, started )
#1 - Hahmo
Game lag & FPS
Now. The thing is that i posted this somewhere else already but seems like it was wrong place to post and it didnt get moved here so i post this here again. The laptop im using: Fujitsu Siemens Amilo, Windows XP Version 2002, Genuine Intel(R) CPU, T2050 @ 1.60GHz and after that again 1.60GHz, 111gt memory.

The thing is, that the best fps ive ever had so far is about 11-12~. Settings should be okay, and this is with multiplayer and with single player. The lag starts, when i play with other players on multiplayer. For example, the start. Fps gets as low as 2-5. Driving is just not possible, and i hate that. When the start is over it gets back to normal because so many cars is not so close to me. The best fps during the race is about 8.

With singleplayer, i get the same 11-12~fps. When i play with even 1 A1 driver, the lag starts. It doesnt matter is it 4 or 20 A1 drivers, the lag is still the same, so this shouldnt be because of my internet, right? This has been annoying me for the 3 months ive been playing the Demo version of this game and now i have decided to buy a S2 license, and i will get a new computer soon, too, so we'll hope that the new computer wont have the same lag.
E: oh and yeh, when i press the R button which is the button that shows the back of the car, then there is not lag at all :E

Any suggestions why this lag appears. Like i already said, this laptop is a bit broken, so it might be the reason. But still, any ideas?
laptops don't have the video card that is necessary for any intense 3d graphics rendering.
Quote from bunder9999 :laptops don't have the video card that is necessary for any intense 3d graphics rendering.

Actually some laptops have GTX 280M, which is enough even for GTA IV and Crysis.
Thats the problem, video card isnt really meaty enough to run LFS properly.

My old 256mb card used to struggle, and even my 512mb radeon one still dips from time to time.

Just try turning the detail down, run a smaller res, make sure its in 16 bit mode and not 32, turn off haze effect, sky, aa/af down or off, etc...

This also isnt a program bug, its a slow gfx card symptom lol
#5 - Hahmo
okay.. the new laptop im getting runs GTA: san andreas very well.. cuz its my dad's old laptop. so it should run LFS properly?
probably will be better than the other one, but it might have the same problem, just to a smaller extent.
Oh yeah, another thing to think of too, it isnt necesarrily always the graphics card that causes low FPS, as i have 512mb card which is well over what is needed and i still get FPS hits with a lot of cars,but its the CPU that is the bottleneck of my system, as the gfx card is capable, but the processor cant feed it quick enough.
a T2050 should be able to smoke my lfs machine cpu-wise, and i get around 25-60fps with a XP2000+/384/6600GT.
#9 - Hahmo
The problem is still that the laptop is broken, so i think that really is the problem. I just wanted to hear information from others who probably knows more than i do..
As mentioned mate, all you can do is turn stuff down at the expense of quality, but you should theoretically get a little performance boost.
And also like i said, settings should be okay = everything is turned to low quality.
#12 - 65D
Live For Speed frames per second with my singatures computer.

Graphics and resolution is 1280x768

South City/Start with 10-30 players @ 17 fps
South City/Racing @ 40 fps
All other tracks/Start with 10-30 players @ 20 fps
All other tracks/Racing @ 45-60 fps

Always with top-down @ 70 fps
I seriously can't get how you managed to get 2 000 MB of RAM :s
.... the computer is still broken, cant you just get it
2 gig i guess, although techinically 2gb isn't 2000mb, its 2048mb.
btw, i can almost be 100% sure that the reason for the lag is the actual computer(laptop or whatever you want to say.) After the thing why this went a bit broken, it takes 30-60seconds to open mozilla, or any kind of program.
Quote from Hahmo :btw, i can almost be 100% sure that the reason for the lag is the actual computer(laptop or whatever you want to say.) After the thing why this went a bit broken, it takes 30-60seconds to open mozilla, or any kind of program.

a 4000rpm hard drive would do that...
Quote from bunder9999 :a 4000rpm hard drive would do that...

5400rpm 500GB drive is faster than 7200rpm 250GB (for example).

It's all about density, not speed.
#19 - 65D
Quote from danthebangerboy :Thats the problem, video card isnt really meaty enough to run LFS properly.

My old 256mb card used to struggle, and even my 512mb radeon one still dips from time to time.

Just try turning the detail down, run a smaller res, make sure its in 16 bit mode and not 32, turn off haze effect, sky, aa/af down or off, etc...

This also isnt a program bug, its a slow gfx card symptom lol

The amount of memory does not indicate how fast a grapghics card is. It is easy to buy a very slow 512MB card from nvidia or ati.

They cheap ones have often only 64bit memory access and usually run at much lower clock speeds. -> cheap memory, low gpu speeds-> use of chips on outside of the wafers which can only do low speeds.
This is my laptop and i can run LFS in windowmode on multiplayr play windows media player and in 64bit NO problems no lag yr internet can also b a big factor in how bad the lag.

Manufacturer: Gateway
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T3200 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 4024MB RAM
Hard Drive: 119 GB
Video Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
Sound Card: Speakers (Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221)
Speakers/Headphones:
Keyboard: USB Root Hub
Mouse: USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface:
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Quote from KillaBOFC :This is my laptop and i can run LFS in windowmode on multiplayr play windows media player and in 64bit NO problems no lag yr internet can also b a big factor in how bad the lag.

Manufacturer: Gateway
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T3200 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 4024MB RAM
Hard Drive: 119 GB
Video Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
Sound Card: Speakers (Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221)
Speakers/Headphones:
Keyboard: USB Root Hub
Mouse: USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface:
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium

lol'd.

Those things can't run LFS at over 30 fps.
Quote from Shadowww :lol'd.

Those things can't run LFS at over 30 fps.

yea they can... my old laptop used to have one and ran around 40-60
new laptop has a ati3100 and does 50ish pretty average
never tried them online with 30 cars though, only use them when im away with no internet

Game lag & FPS
(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG