The online racing simulator
Oh god no! save Spa Francorschamp
(26 posts, started )
I just read this article on Virtual R and reading it makes me sad.
Stupid citiecents of Malmedy and Spa how could they!!!.

So we might not be able to realy do something but sighing the pettion is the leats we can do.
So we shal unite and stop this crazy people form closing down one of the most beatyfull tracks in the world.

The article can be found here

Click here to read how to save Spa

Here is a copy and paste of the text on virtual R for lazy people.
But honestly lazyunes wont save Spa.

This is not exactly sim-related news but very worth mentioning as the future of one of the world’s finest race tracks is in jeopardy.

Local residents are threatening the existence of Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium’s Grand Prix venue, with their noise complaints. Even though Spa has hosted racing since 1921, noise seems to be an issue all of a sudden as the residents have managed to get a court decision in their favor.

It’s time for the motorsport community to speak up and voice support for this great track. Featuring the legendary Eau Rouge corner, Spa is one of the very few race tracks have managed to save their historical flair despite modern developments. Over 21.000 people have already joined the petition and you can too – It’s free and easy.

Link to the petition to save Spa
#2 - 5haz
When the GP came back to Spa, the govt granted Spa a virtually unlimited license to run races virtually whenever they want, duing the week, during the night. Inevitably Spa took advantage of this.

What was taken away was Spa's right to host races all the time from what I've heard, so it will be limited to a number of race days a year, just like other tracks. Spa will not have its license to hold races taken away completely.

This is from what I've heard, I've also heard that the ruling was overturned and that this is all pretty old news now.
Indeed sad news. Seeing SPA go would be very dissapointing.

But for peaks sake..... Petitions, especially online ones, barely do anything....

Lets just hope for the best....
If someone just could build a time machine and show these people the economical consequences of closing down the circuit.
That's rather amazing to see that it took 85 years for these people to realise that there was a racing circuit in their neighborhood
What good is belgium to the world if they haven't got Spa
*grabs his Walloon-hitting-stick and travels 50km south*

I bet it's the same kind of people who voted to ban smoking in bars.

"We're 60 year old and bored. We're not having fun... THEY CANT HAVE FUN EITHER!"

Signed.
Quote from Fastwalker :

I bet it's the same kind of people who voted to ban smoking in bars.

Wow, I totally agree, imagine all those people getting affected by passive hearing and walking about all day totally stinking of the rotten sound those cars make.

Great comparison.
Quote from Bawbag :Wow, I totally agree, imagine all those people getting affected by passive hearing and walking about all day totally stinking of the rotten sound those cars make.

Great comparison.

Well actually 'quality of life' is a main point in both arguements. They are very similar. And both groups are fully intent to put other people out of business and out of a job for their 'own benefit'.
Quote from Mustafur :What good is belgium to the world if they haven't got Spa

Chocolate?

+1 Fastwalker, those selfish oldfarts are destroying our fun.
Hmm,

Is it real this time?

Last time it was just overstated bs.
we have a similar effect here on anglesey, there's an action group called PAWB (People Against Wylfa B) who are against the building of a new nuclear power stationon the island, which is fair enough they've as much right to campaign against it as others have to try and get it built. what gets me is the strongest opponent of the new station locally, spent 25 years working in the old plant and was totally behind it until the moment he retired. i'm sure if they said his pension would be stopped if there was no nuclear plant on the island he'd soon be backing the calls to build a new one. also generally whenever there is the possibility of any new industry on the island there's always complaints about how it'll spoil the beauty of the place and inevitably most of the complaints are from people who are retired and / or moved to the island from big towns etc.

the next week the same people are complaining that the communities are dying and there are no local shops etc, could it have something to do with the fact that so many younger people have to move away to find work ?
Hey! There is superleague formula on the page, game, download :P
Quote from Mustafur :What good is belgium to the world if they haven't got Spa

Maredsous Tripple?

I see a future where most racing classes have quite large mufflers.
Quote from Fastwalker :I bet it's the same kind of people who voted to ban smoking in bars.

Well, but that actually makes sense and should be forbidden everywhere.
ok ok bad example maybe

you get my point
#19 - 5haz
And waffles, and hosting wars.
Question is, who moves into a house near a racetrack and then complains about the noise? It's been there for like 80-odd years so it's not like it was built around the current residents or without them knowing about it - they CHOSE to live there.

Bed made, time to lay down.
Quote from Dajmin :Question is, who moves into a house near a racetrack and then complains about the noise?

Wankers that's who, there was someone who moved into a cottage next to a farm and complained that the cockerel was waking them up, they complained THAT much that the authorities did completely the wrong thing and asked the farmer to get rid of the cockerel.
There is a term too for these people (other than "wankers"): NIMBY
#23 - 5haz
Quote from BlueFlame :Wankers that's who, there was someone who moved into a cottage next to a farm and complained that the cockerel was waking them up, they complained THAT much that the authorities did completely the wrong thing and asked the farmer to get rid of the cockerel.

And this is perfect example of why democracy is bad.
lol, Zolden is not near that good than the OLD Spa
Local residents feel they aren ... come out to support Spa.

“The 'most beautiful circuit in the world' is a real economic tool, which gives work to a significant amount of people and provides a lot of publicity and a dynamic image of Belgium all around the world. We are sorry for the people who don't agree to be integrated into the local life, but we are for the continuity of the circuit – and we will fight to preserve it!”

Defend Spa-Francorchamps

So we have some YIMBYs!?

(26 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG