The online racing simulator
Dead VGA Adapter
(7 posts, started )
Dead VGA Adapter
In the back of my PC, I have two DVI sockets into which I have plugged a DVI-VGA adapter, which powers my main monitor. Now, I have a spare monitor lying around which I want to attach. However, I don't want to have to buy another DVI-VGA adapter because it'll take forever to get here/cost a lot/both.

In the back of my PC, I also have a VGA socket which appears to do absolutely nothing. I don't know what I'm supposed to do with it, or why it's actually there. Is there any way I could activate this socket so I can plug my spare monitor in there? Or is this just a bit of hardware not attached to anything?
#2 - Jakg
The DVI ports are down at the bottom and the VGA port is at the top, on the left hand side (if you were looking at the PC from the rear). I opened up the PC and it looks as if they're attached to something, but I really don't know much else.

Further info: Running Vista, with an ATI card.

Thanks for the info so far Jak.
#4 - Jakg
What motherboard do you have?

It's onboard graphics you've got, and according to geeman you can run onboard / dedicated ATi stuff together (which somehow works for me on 7 at least)
Inspired by your cheap product that you posted, I've gone ahead and ordered an adapter from eBay for a mere £1.50 inc. P&P. But until then, it would be nice to know how to do it, for the learning experience as much as anything else.

My mobo is, I quote: "Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L Intel G41 Motherboard"
#6 - Jakg
G41 = Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500 (DirectX 10)

The only way you can get it to work is using 7 as far as i'm aware.
Quote from Jakg :G41 = Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500 (DirectX 10)

The only way you can get it to work is using 7 as far as i'm aware.

Well, I'm getting W7 but that'll arrive after my adapter. Thanks for the help anyway. If this forum had rep, I'd be reppin' ya'll.

Dead VGA Adapter
(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG