The online racing simulator
Is CTRA back up? [ No :o) ]
(137 posts, started )
Hi all,

Before you start the flame war, please read this.
I have stumbled upon CTRA's (apparently inactive) website. Surprise of surprises, it was running, and it had all stats, even the latest races (before closure) were showing! Thing is that the points aren't showing (except in rankings) and you can't log in.
If you think all this is bollocks, then check it for yourselves: http://www.raceauthority.com/

Hell, I'll even put a screenshot for those hard-to-change minds.

I'm not doubting anyone with these last sentences (at least that wasn't the intention).

Cheers
Attached images
seeit4urselves.png
No.

Sam has been using it as part of his portfolio to get other jobs AFAIK.
Pity. LFS isn't half as good without CTRA.
Do you know about any league with more or less 10 drivers? Because in a 15+ driver league I'd lag to death.
Not to mention I give people a hard time trying to get past me.
I'll only join a league when I get a proper PC and spend a bit more time racing.
Quote from Senninha25 :Do you know about any league with more or less 10 drivers? Because in a 15+ driver league I'd lag to death.
Not to mention I give people a hard time trying to get past me.
I'll only join a league when I get a proper PC and spend a bit more time racing.

Exactly the same here!!
what's CTRA?

it's long forgotten past, so deal with it.
#7 - VoiD
What's all this idiot rant "LFS is not half as good as when CTRA was up" etc etc, there are LOTS of good servers but you lazy whining kids just whines without backing up your statement.
Shut up allready, leave the forum, go racing and then open your mouths.

Canot belive this forum is filled with so many whiners, that whines on absolutely everything jeez! LR, FM, GTR server is just some of them, and there are tons of other servers to play on. The only reason why you liked CTRA was because it had active admins and because your ego-meter did rise when you got more points.

LR - absolutely the same thing. GTR (not sure one the first part of the name) offers fast paced racing in the gtr cars. FM servers handles the formula racing, and they all doing it pretty damn well.

So for love of god and this forum, stop whining about CTRA's death when you don't even know what other servers LFS have to offer.
TVE needs a group hug
Absolutely not, I am just very irritated by all this whining on forum allready. Why can't people just.. well be cool and have a cool time instead of whining at every possible opertunity?
Also, the ones that whines about the servers are usually the ones that have not tested more than roughly 5-10% of the servers in LFS.

So sorry for going so hard on you, but please back up your statement before you whine. Saying that LFS isn't the same without CTRA is a lie.
Quote from JPeace :i disagree strongly, i think CTRA got out of control with mass playing, crashing (not purposfully but due to people spinning and mass pile ups) etc.

I think that lfs is good with leagues etc, if leagues didnt exist, lfs would get hugly boring quickly. having said that, there are plenty of decent hosts, you just need to look a little and try it.

For once i agree with James (OMG)

I used to be addicted to CTRA SS Servers. Since it closed it has open the doors for many other types of racing for me - leagues/pickup racing/different combos etc.

It was a good system when it worked but highly addictive. Going cold turkey was a good thing tbh.
Quote from Intermediate07 :Mh just join some leagues

Do you know any with quali laptimes around 107% of WR and no need for regular races?
Quote from Senninha25 :Wasn't it 25 drivers in the only race I entered?

Well last round was postponed because we only had 5 drivers :doh:
Quote from JPeace :i disagree strongly, i think CTRA got out of control with mass playing, crashing (not purposfully but due to people spinning and mass pile ups) etc.

hire some moars admins and rent some servers(really cheap, i read 2 47slot servers cost only 6 pounds or something!)
The costs is not the problem, the biggest problem is keeping it clean. As soon as the server gets known, it attracks all sort of crazy bastards on it, and it's completely ruining the server if it's not moderated 24/7.

It's like a fulltime job keeping a populated and popular server clean
Yes, except the CTRA was more than just some servers and admins. There's the software itself for race managment/stats. Then the Website. You'd actually need a dedicated server hosted with lots of storage to keep the vast quantity of replays saved (every race was saved at some point).

A bit more expensive than 12GBP and some admins. Requires time for software development, hardware rental, datacenter space, etcera.

It's easy to say "yeah, just replace it in 5 mins"... but coming from ground zero, the CTRA was a lot more complex than you think.
= It's a bitch, don't botter
Quote from The Very End :The costs is not the problem, the biggest problem is keeping it clean. As soon as the server gets known, it attracks all sort of crazy bastards on it, and it's completely ruining the server if it's not moderated 24/7.

It's like a fulltime job keeping a populated and popular server clean

admins could take shifts or something, plus how many admins would u need to keep everything neat and tidy? plus u could report some bastards to the admins using replays!

(well if we start getting some false accusations then we could implement a rule, that false accusations are bannable)
Yes, but then you have admins sitting there all the time, and admins making irrational decisions because they dislike someone.

The CTRA had a great system, you file a report, then all admins can take a look, and if something happened in error, it can be re-evaluated by a different admin. It needed no actual in-server time.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Yes, except the CTRA was more than just some servers and admins. There's the software itself for race managment/stats. Then the Website. You'd actually need a dedicated server hosted with lots of storage to keep the vast quantity of replays saved (every race was saved at some point).

is the software deleten somehow? user can report themselves if they want.
i see raceauthority.com is still up.
Trying to make up to 46 people (spectators counted) behaving is not an easy task, and good luck beeing the only admin trying to clean that mess up

Also, it's too much work. If there had been only one server it could go, but having several made the tast too hard. Then they also had to check all the reports manually... darn, that must have been a nightmare, I mean.. I got like 100 reports against me, just to check my replays would need some dedication from someone

It grew too big for the team to handle, unless you plan to pay someone for the work it won't happen again.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Yes, but then you have admins sitting there all the time, and admins making irrational decisions because they dislike someone.

The CTRA had a great system, you file a report, then all admins can take a look, and if something happened in error, it can be re-evaluated by a different admin. It needed no actual in-server time.

report the irrational decisions maker-admin and lose his license to ban someone.
The server software is safely locked away on a server far far away.
The actual website is up because SamH is using it to get jobs, so it's a good portfolio item.

You fail to grasp what anyone is saying. The website is in a frozen (and incorrect intentionally) state, People can't log in to prevent people from filing reports and such. THe software does still exist, but even if you did get a hold of it, servers and such are hard-coded in, so you'd never get it to work on your own.

EDIT:

Also, someone who may be acting "irrationally" at any given moment could think they're being rational. Without a database either to track who has been banned or not, you have nothing better than a public server with admins. No points or stats or a reporting foundation. The database to track every action of admin and users, is a good thing as it allows things to be assessed when everything is cooled down. not "OMG TVE HIT ME... admin goes /ban TVE 999".

(137 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG