The online racing simulator
Stereoscopic 3D screenshots
(35 posts, started )
#1 - JJ72
This idea is nothing new, but I don't remember it being applied in LFS screens, so I spent a coupe hours for some little experiments.

Ever wonder how LFS will look in "real" 3D? It looks awesome! And you don't need any special tools or glasses, although it does take some training.

Here's how to do it:
1.Try to cross your eyes, if you are not familiar with it, put a finger 20cm in front of you, look at it, then gradually move it towards you.

2.Now look at the picture, but don't focus on it, you should see 2 ghost images coming from the 2 pics, if you move your focal point, those ghost images will move closer/further to each other. (again you can use your finger to help yourself out)

3.Once the two ghost images come together, you are on focus. Now maintain your eye muscle and try to look into the picture formed in the middle.

4.If you lost focus, just put your finger up again, the distance between your eye and your finger should be constant.

5.Keep trying! I think the result are really worth it.

*And here's a prize for those who can master the skill.
http://a.imagehost.org/0441/4971605rog.jpg
Attached images
bf1.jpg
fo8.jpg
igtc.jpg
igtc2.jpg
igtc3.jpg
rb4.jpg
so.jpg
xrr.jpg
I follow your step, it won't work.
#3 - JJ72
Troubleshooting time

The problem being? you can't combine the ghost images? you cannot look at the pic while not lose focus? the image is blurry?

ideally you should be about half a metre to the monitor.
i just cant do crosseyed pics
make them parallel for people with normal eye control abilities pls
i did it :P
It's easy once you get the hang of it.

The "prize" was very nice, oh and the screenies were cool too, although I think people are struggling to focus because the two viewpoints are closer to 30 cm apart rather than the 10(?) or so cm that they should be.
If you can't cross your eyes, you can do a gif file from those 2 images with 2-4fps i guess. Friend of mine did an experinemt with it:
#8 - STF
Quote from DaveWS :It's easy once you get the hang of it.

I agree, once you do it, and learn how properly, with no stress on the eye muscles, it`s like riding a bicycle.

This helped me for "cross eye", parallel was a natural, which I found rather strange since everyone complains how hard that is illepall. Now I can do both almost instantaneous.

All of them are great, really cool, but I have issues with this one.
Focus on the XRR's left sideskirt. They are different, my eyes go crazy focusing on that one, it flashes sometimes .
So is my right eye's vision when I get out of it (you know what i mean), if I keep focus on it for more than 10 seconds. It's ok after a minute, but it never happened with other images..
#9 - JJ72
Quote from DaveWS :It's easy once you get the hang of it.

The "prize" was very nice, oh and the screenies were cool too, although I think people are struggling to focus because the two viewpoints are closer to 30 cm apart rather than the 10(?) or so cm that they should be.

That is relative, the closer the two view points are the less perspective you get, this is about the happy medium I decide on.

the reflection on the XRR and the curn on "eau rouge" can be a bit problemetic, but that can be solved by photoshopping it away if I want to.

I haven't figure out how to do parallel ones yet, lemme look into it.
Quote from JJ72 :I haven't figure out how to do parallel ones yet, lemme look into it.

all you have to do is switch the left and right images with each other
and consider that parallel images cant be as wide as cross ones
#11 - JJ72
oh it's that simple.

converted the above to parallels, no crossing eyes required, just shift your focus.

if you cannot move the ghost image close enough, stand back or shrink the image.

Attached images
bf1p.jpg
fo8p.jpg
igtcp.jpg
igtc2p.jpg
igtc3p.jpg
rb4p.jpg
sop.jpg
xrrp.jpg
Quote from LFSn00b :Hope you dont mind JJ72, tried this with one of your images

EDIT: lol, it looked faster when i was editing it

Um I see problem there. You need to move camera a bit to side and not to rotate it around object. Because in stereo cameras both lenses are side by side, like this

Hope you understood what I meant Good luck
Quote from JJ72 :That is relative, the closer the two view points are the less perspective you get, this is about the happy medium I decide on.

But the fact is your eyes are ~10 cm apart, so if you increase that distance, you are screwing with the amount of "perspective" your eyes would see in the real world...

Edit: iFast also brings up a very good point why your images aren't working that well.

Edit2: Had a somewhat crude go myself, see attachment.
Attached images
3DLFS.jpg
wow, cool. I'm going to make pictures like this by myself

Btw, i don't get those gif's, they don't look like 3d to me at all.

I think it's possible to make lfs 3d with video glasses and 2 custom views for each eye.
#15 - JJ72
Thanks of the info, now lets find out how can I get an exact 10cm movement in LFS.....

iFastLT: You certain they are 100% parallel?
Quote from JJ72 : iFastLT: You certain they are 100% parallel?

Yes, had a lesson in photography (club I guess) about 3D photography.
Some more pics that I found on the net:

wat? do i look between the pics or ftw?!
Quote from JJ72 :iFastLT: You certain they are 100% parallel?

nah as you can (ironically) see from his own example pics for the flickering 3d pics the camera should rotate round the central object in the picture to get the best effect
the biggest problem appart from getting the main object of the scene centered both in 3d and in the jumpiness (you dont want the subject matter to jump about) is to get the framerate just right as don can attest after his humourously failed attempt at utilising the effect in video
http://don.vn.cz/temp/videos/3dtimelapseepicfail.avi

for cross eyes or parallel pics its almost completely irrelevant where and how you place the cameras since the brain will figure out a way to make sense of it all
also since you need to make the images qute small to be able to focus your eyes appropriately a wider spacing between the camera positions helps with increasing the effectiveness of the 3d image that is otherwise lost in its small size

anyway here are a few parallels i made quite a while ago... hope you like ridiculous looking evo2 wings
Attached images
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-4.jpg
Untitled-11.jpg
Untitled-13.jpg
Untitled-18.jpg
Quote from iFastLT :Yes, had a lesson in photography (club I guess) about 3D photography.
Some more pics that I found on the net:

thats wacky
can you explain those pics

Did a test :P
[edit]:
1 more try

[edit2]:Started liking it

LOL @ flat spectators in wannabe-3D pic
#22 - JJ72
Quote from bmwe30m3 :
Did a test :P
[edit]:
1 more try

[edit2]:Started liking it

I can see nothing.
#23 - SamH
Quite fun! I needed to wear my reading glasses to get my eyes to focus on the first images, but once I'd done that it worked well. I also needed to be aware of the tilt of my head, so that as my eyes drifted out, the two images were level and my eyes latched.

Did my own screenie from a race today:
Attached images
tst_bl1.gif
#24 - 5tag
Quote from SamH :Quite fun! I needed to wear my reading glasses to get my eyes to focus on the first images, but once I'd done that it worked well. I also needed to be aware of the tilt of my head, so that as my eyes drifted out, the two images were level and my eyes latched.

Did my own screenie from a race today

That is a very good one. The two pictures must be taken at the distance our two eyes have to each other which ist approximately 6 centimeters and in the game that is very little difference.

Also regarding the parallel pictures: As I said our eyes are circa 6 centimeteres away from each other. Now if you want to watch a stereo picture with parallel eyes for obvious reasons each of the shots should be no much bigger than 6 cm in width. Else your eyes must be no more parallel but kind of dispearse which is very hard to do.
Wow, i never realised how easy this is!
I always used to struggle with the technique, but now i can focus within a second

Tip: Close your eyes a bit, it helps with me. It also helps me focus on only the center picture, and blurs the 2 originals next to it The girl was nice too

I have a video about LFS in 3d, but it's done with the iZ3D driver.
PS. I'll be back with an awesome screenshot, i remember it being awesome and super 3-d, so ill brb Screencapping

(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG