The online racing simulator
Had an idea!
(8 posts, started )
#1 - Dac
Had an idea!
I was just thinking today at work about how far racing sims can actually get to the 'real' thing. And at first i thought ok so you wont be able to experience the G-force or at the very best get around 1 G with a pivoting seat.

So after a few google searches thats pretty much all i found, seats which tilt backwards and forwards to give the impression of the forces the car is under.

Then i thought, what exactly do you miss sitting on a chair rather than in an actual car. Simple, knowing what each of the 4 wheels is doing. Which means you need to know the suspension movement for weight distribution (instead of imagining it) and bottoming out, and the vibration and noise each wheel creates depending on where abouts it is traction wise. The effects of G-force are neither here nor there, you dont really want or need it to have full feedback from the car its basically a wasted by-product.

So i had an idea, how about putting a racing seat on a stand with 4 corners each representing the wheels. Each corner would have its own struts reacting independently to give you the suspension movements (or weight distribution), with facility to vibrate or shake with the help of a speaker to give an accurate sensation of the tyre load.

Does anybody else agree that that would give you total feedback of what the car is doing?

Thanks,

And yes im not that naive to think that this hasnt been done before and somebody is going to post a link of something similar to end the thread
#2 - JJ72
ain't that the basic idea of all motion sims?
#3 - Dac
Quote from JJ72 :ain't that the basic idea of all motion sims?

Not sure what you mean?

All the current racing simulators ive seen so far just replicate the forces with the movement of the seat in a general fashion. Not delivering 4 separate movements/vibrations etc to the seat.

As far as i can see (ive never actually used one of these things) no attempt has been made to give feedback about what the tyres are doing. Which i believe are totally different things.
#4 - CSU1
It would not be practicable as the rig would need to be quite large in your design...

TBH it's bordering on insane and your missus will no doubt be bemused by the loss of a sitting room.

If you've got a garage or open space go for it why not?
I heard of people using two butt-kickers, one on each side connected to left and right channels. Maybe 4 of them (5:1), might be easier than building 4 actuators.
I was actually thinking of something similar,

Feel every movement of the car!

Great fun, feel the G- forces! 100% real!

And then you hit a red and white barrier - I, personally, don't want to experience THOSE G's.

I think that is exactly why it's only very slight tilting.
Quote from brandons48 : And then you hit a red and white barrier - I, personally, don't want to experience THOSE G's.

That's nothing compared to car reset at 720 km/h
The problem is that such a seat would be expensive, and it would be so close to driving a real car that you would rather do the real thing rather than play a game which simulates the real thing.

Had an idea!
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG