The online racing simulator
Round 3 - Race Format
(35 posts, closed, started )
Round 3 - Race Format
just had a quick question about the autox track for round 3. how will pit stops work? last time i messed with that layout the stalls didnt work and trying to even start multiple cars was a nightmare.
Well, since the car is not refueled when reset, the race can only be as long as the tank would hold. I'll get some fuel data from this track and we'll come up with something to make a race out of. Would people want qualifying heat races to funnel into a longer feature race, or qualify only 15 drivers and run a long race? Which would you racers like to do?

PS, kinda sucks that lizard didn't have anything for the AU tracks in the calendar.
I would say heats and a main just for the fact it would cut down on the amount of cars on the track at once. some people have problems with objects and any contact on the track would end someones race cus the barrier collision in lfs is crazy. lol
Heats ftw.
Just throwing out an idea:

Friday: Qualifying

Saturday:
Heat 1: Odd Qualifiers (25 laps) (top 6 advance)
Heat 2: Even Qualifiers (25 laps) (top 6 advance)
LCQ (Last Chance Qualifier): Everyone who did not make it through the heats plus the people who didn't qualify (15 laps) (top 2 advance)
Feature: 14 total drivers / 75 laps

Each heat would take under 10 minutes (if all green, lets say 15 with cautions), LCQ would take about 5-7 minutes, and the Feature would take 25-35 minutes (depending on cautions). So if all runs smoothly we can be done within 1h 15m. Sound good?

As for the pits: They are only made for people with severe damage. Autocross has those ridiculous barriers that sometimes can destroy your car, so I made a small pit area where you will be allowed to reset in a pit stall to fix your car. It's not a way to change tires, because the direction the car resets in LFS I could only add 4 pit stalls, so not everyone could dive in under caution.
Can we go the 75 laps with enough fuel though? Need to find that out.
I really don't see anyone surviving a collision with a barrier enough to gimp back across traffic to a pit stall. even so it would be quite fair to allow some cars to use it and some not just because they may or may not be more damaged. should be all or none. or race with even fewer cars but that would be pretty gay. i do however like the idea of the multiple heat races and giving those who dont qualify for the first two a second chance.
No no, what he meant by that is that the pits are just for repair, and a majority of people would probably run with their damage than try to make a pitstop and go down a lap because of it. If someone is so severely damaged after the barrier bug, we may ask them to spectate for the greater good of the other racers. But first we would probably throw a caution so everybody can slow down and not hit the racer, giving them enough time to get to the pitlane.
Oh ok.. that makes sense then. :P
Quote from PMD9409 :Just throwing out an idea:

Friday: Qualifying

Saturday:
Heat 1: Odd Qualifiers (25 laps) (top 6 advance)
Heat 2: Even Qualifiers (25 laps) (top 6 advance)
LCQ (Last Chance Qualifier): Everyone who did not make it through the heats plus the people who didn't qualify (15 laps) (top 2 advance)
Feature: 14 total drivers / 75 laps

Each heat would take under 10 minutes (if all green, lets say 15 with cautions), LCQ would take about 5-7 minutes, and the Feature would take 25-35 minutes (depending on cautions). So if all runs smoothly we can be done within 1h 15m. Sound good?

As for the pits: They are only made for people with severe damage. Autocross has those ridiculous barriers that sometimes can destroy your car, so I made a small pit area where you will be allowed to reset in a pit stall to fix your car. It's not a way to change tires, because the direction the car resets in LFS I could only add 4 pit stalls, so not everyone could dive in under caution.

Supercross-style
heats are good.
Thing is though, I ran a few laps and got ~ 0.7% of fuel / lap, so I'm thinking that 75 laps for the feature might be too long in terms of fuel. If anybody can get me some more fuel numbers when they go on the layout to practice, we'll be able to confirm the fuel mileage for the track and get some final lap numbers for the race.
idk how long the tires will last
Quote from burnsy1882 :Thing is though, I ran a few laps and got ~ 0.7% of fuel / lap, so I'm thinking that 75 laps for the feature might be too long in terms of fuel. If anybody can get me some more fuel numbers when they go on the layout to practice, we'll be able to confirm the fuel mileage for the track and get some final lap numbers for the race.

Use y0 math skillz!

0.7% a lap is well over 100 laps!

Tire tread should be fine, it's all about keeping them babies from burning.
lol, right, 146 laps would be a long race. Anyhoo, ok, lap numbers sound good. We can't make it official yet though cause not everybody has voted yet, but it seems promising.
what do u mean by lap numbers sound good?
The numbers that Phil proposed, they feel like a good length of time for sprints and the feature. Please propose a format if you've got something on your mind, we've still got more than a week to go to finalize the race format.
oh ok ty=]
test race today?
are the heats and feature race still a go?
Ah, very sorry I'm late. Yes, those will be the race format. Two 25 lap sprints to determine the grid for the feature 75 lap race.
25 laps? ohhh i thought it was 15
Going to attend to a regional rally tomorrow so I'm not sure if I'll be back for 18:00 UTC.

On his side, Lims his taking part in the LFS Endurance Series so won't be there(AFAIK).

Now I don't know about Falke
#24 - Zay
are the races starting at 17:OO UTC just like qualy?
2 Questions
Have we had quli already
Time check until heats starts?
This thread is closed

Round 3 - Race Format
(35 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG