The online racing simulator
#1 - SamH
Formula 1 Gran Premio Santander d'Italia 2009

Monza
Race Date: 13 Sep 2009

Number of Laps: 53
Circuit Length: 5.793 km
Race Distance: 306.720 km
Lap Record: 1:21.046 - R Barrichello (2004)

Timetable
Fri 11 September 2009
Friday Practice 1 10:00 - 11:30
Friday Practice 2 14:00 - 15:30

Sat 12 September 2009
Saturday Practice 11:00 - 12:00
Qualifying 14:00

Sun 13 September 2009
Race 14:00
Attached images
italian_track.gif
I hope Fisichella has a good weekend, would be a shame to see him go backwards after the last race. Especially since the car he has should be better than the Force India.
#3 - 5haz
Getting a reputation is one thing, keeping it up is another.

Remember that although F1 cars are very similar now, Fishy will still be stepping straight from a car with certain handling characteristics, to another car which may handle completely differently, with no testing thanks to the utterly stupid ban.

I don't expect too great results from him at this race, but I think if Ferrari give him enough of a chance he will be up there (you could say the same for nearly any driver on the grid though I guess).
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
#4 - 5haz
Mercedes may have their eye on Brawn...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/h ... t/formula_one/8241220.stm

Quote :Car giant Mercedes-Benz is in talks about buying a shareholding in championship leaders Brawn Grand Prix.
The German company, which owns 40% of McLaren, is considering taking a major interest in Brawn.
McLaren, the team world champion Lewis Hamilton drives for, said they were "supportive of our partner's plans re engine supply of other teams".
Brawn refused to comment while Mercedes told BBC Sport that "our company is not in a position to comment".

Brawn (and F1) desperately need someone to invest in them, so this could be great news if Brawn want to stay at the top.

Merc certainly aren't denying it though. Maybe they'll just shut Brawn down and transfer their assets and important staff to their 'works' team, Mclaren.
#5 - amp88
Fisi's been built up so much the only thing that's going to satisfy the Tifoso is pole and a win. If that happens I'll eat my hat. He had years in the best car and years in a very good car and he just couldn't produce the results on a consistent basis. People seem to have very short memories.
Cool, never knew LFSF had a F1 thread~ I really hope Mark can get back in form... results were not so impressive last two races... and to think that I was tipping him for the championship~ Apparently, the KERS cars should have an advantage with Renault reintroducing it for the race. Makes sense as this is a fast circuit.

Anyways, what does everyone think about the refueling ban? I think it's ridiculous to get rid of it... isn't it one of the most important factor in race strategy? I mean, how much could it possibly save?!?!?
#7 - amp88
Quote from rich_hobo94 :Apparently, the KERS cars should have an advantage with Renault reintroducing it for the race. Makes sense as this is a fast circuit.

Monza has to be one of (if not the best) circuits for KERS. It's not just that it's a fast circuit, it's the fact that there are quite a few long straights after slow to medium speed corners. We've seen KERS is most effective when being used out of those types of corners.

Quote from rich_hobo94 :Anyways, what does everyone think about the refueling ban? I think it's ridiculous to get rid of it... isn't it one of the most important factor in race strategy? I mean, how much could it possibly save?!?!?

I think it's a good idea. Mid-race refuelling was removed from F1 in the past for safety but was re-introduced for the 1994 season. The way it has worked since 1994 is that the fuel rigs are all supplied by a firm called Intertechnique with no design or manufacturing input from the actual F1 teams. From the start there were problems with the quality of the rigs (including machining swarf being found in the fuel tank) which caused the huge pit fire in the 1994 German Grand Prix (NOT the removal of the fuel filter by Benetton which a lot of Schumacher-haters like to think!).

Since the re-introduction in 1994 there have been several pit fire of varying degrees of seriousness and the inherent increased danger of refuelling to pit crews wasn't well received in the pitlane. Teams had to spend money re-designing their cars to cope with a much smaller fuel tank (in 1993 the cars had to hold the full race fuel load whereas in 1994 they only needed to carry about half a race load) and on things like more safety equipment (fireproof gloves, racesuits, helmets, goggles etc) for their crews. The refuelling ban should also put more of an emphasis on driver skill because the car is going to change a lot more throughout the race. As the fuel load decreases the driver will have to adapt their technique and mindset to cope with the weight.
It will probably have the obvious negative effect on race excitement, however.

Fastest guy gets pole, fastest guy gets fastest laps when on identical fuel loads to everyone else, fastest guy wins.

It's not quite that simple because, like amp says, there will be the added skill required to look after the tyres while the fuel is heavy. But they'll have all that figured out by round 2 so I'm not optimistic for any increase in race excitement.
Also looking after your tyres will be a big thing.

Ferrari or Mclaren will win this or maybe Alonso.
Quote from Mustafur :Also looking after your tyres will be a big thing.

Ferrari or Mclaren will win this or maybe Alonso.

Wait wait wait, i skipped that class about the new season, i know about the no refuel, but there will still be pit stops right? For the tires atleast?
Quote from Boris Lozac :Wait wait wait, i skipped that class about the new season, i know about the no refuel, but there will still be pit stops right? For the tires atleast?

Correct, they can still stop for tires. :P
Quote from evilpimp :Correct, they can still stop for tires. :P

So what's the point of the rule then, they refule and change tires at the same time (refueling takes a bit longer).. Ok, the qualis will be more interesting and relevant, but still.. am i missing some other major reason?
Lol yeah you are missing it and it's in your face. Read Amp's post :P.
Pit stops are going to be very interesting next year. I assume that now because fuel weight isn't a factor, everyone is going to running as few stops as possible. Or are they?

Will the time gained by running on fresh rubber offset the time it takes to pit and change the tyres?

How is qualifying going to work? Three sessions, all with race fuel? No sessions with race fuel, and a full tank on race day?

Also, what's the deal with regard to teams having to use both tyre compounds, like this year? Does that mean at least one pit stop will be compulsory? Imagine a last place driver conserving his tyres for a whole race, and overtaking everyone in the pits...

As for Monza, I can't wait. Hope it rains.
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
Quote from dawguk :
Also, what's the deal with regard to teams having to use both tyre compounds, like this year? Does that mean at least one pit stop will be compulsory?

Yes, the two compound rule is still in effect for 2010 unfortunately.
Liuzzi FTW!
Quote from Intrepid :Liuzzi FTW!

Because he is a former world karting champion?

A win for Liuzzi will be extremely interesting, mainly because the guy has never been even within spitting distance of a podium in F1, and has been slagged a lot.

But for me, I'll be watching Fisichella and Ferrari very closely. Italian track + Italian driver + Italian team? I think I'm already hearing the Tifosi from here, on the other side of the planet.
Quote from samjh :Because he is a former world karting champion?

A win for Liuzzi will be extremely interesting, mainly because the guy has never been even within spitting distance of a podium in F1, and has been slagged a lot.

But for me, I'll be watching Fisichella and Ferrari very closely. Italian track + Italian driver + Italian team? I think I'm already hearing the Tifosi from here, on the other side of the planet.

The distant cries of "Forza Fisi!". Yeuch.
Quote from rich_hobo94 :
Anyways, what does everyone think about the refueling ban? I think it's ridiculous to get rid of it... isn't it one of the most important factor in race strategy? I mean, how much could it possibly save?!?!?

Quote from amp88 :
I think it's a good idea...... The refuelling ban should also put more of an emphasis on driver skill because the car is going to change a lot more throughout the race. As the fuel load decreases the driver will have to adapt their technique and mindset to cope with the weight.

I must admit, I liked Brundles answer when he was asked that question. To paraphrase, "If they want to be Sunday drivers they should go race some other series. F1 is about ultimate pace, not tyre management"
I have to say, that I disagree with Brundle in this case. Rocket cars racing down the salt flats is all about ultimate pace.

F1 is all about forefront technology racing cars, trying to get around a piece of tarmac before the others. The fastest straight line car isn't always the winner *shrug*
#21 - 5haz
By 'Ultimate pace' Brundle means getting around the piece of tarmac before the others, he doesn't mean straight line speed. Backing off to conserve tyres and fuel is not trying to get around the tarmac before everyone else.
It is - if not backing off ruined the tyres and caused them to lose the race. Sometimes it's quicker to go slower.
#23 - 5haz
But when there is the option of tyre changes and tyres which can last long enough if the car is good and the driver is smooth (smooth, not slow), there is no excuse.
Indeed! Shame the FIA are keeping the artificial double compound rule for next year.

People complain there isn't enough passing on the track, and too much in the pitlane. Then they complain when the passing opportunities in the pitlane are decreased.....

I for one am very happy refuelling is being banned, as it added nothing to the 'show' or the excitement (unless you like seeing cars/mechanics/drivers on fire), and discouraged drivers from having a go on track.
Quote from tristancliffe :Indeed! Shame the FIA are keeping the artificial double compound rule for next year.

People complain there isn't enough passing on the track, and too much in the pitlane. Then they complain when the passing opportunities in the pitlane are decreased.....

I for one am very happy refuelling is being banned, as it added nothing to the 'show' or the excitement (unless you like seeing cars/mechanics/drivers on fire), and discouraged drivers from having a go on track.

It added a dimension of strategy to F1. And can you really say you'd rather have no passing than passing in in the pitlane due to strategy decisions? I can't say that. Some people might say this rule change could suck any excitement there is left in F1, out. I'm not going that far yet because I won't put-down this idea until I've seen it in action. It's just one of the possibilities.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG