The online racing simulator
ATI Eyefinity (ATI's triple head video card)
I searched the forum here to see what you guys thought about the new ATI Eyefinity Technology rumors going around the internet. I didn't find anything so have you guys heard about ATI's supposed all in one triple head video card? This should bypass the need for expensive TH2GO type devices as well as bypassing the need for software solutions like SoftTH that can be flakey at times and hinder over all performance. If this thing pans out, I am going 3x 24 inch 16:9 monitors at 1920x1080 each. It is supposed to be new with the 5800 series cards soon.

*Edit - Here is a link for you guys: http://vr-zone.com/articles/mo ... nology/7518.html?doc=7518

Any thoughts?

- Jay Odom
Sounds very good. If I had the room and money for several monitors, I'd try this.
It's an ATi product which should be an indication of great quality.

/sarcasm
If it's proven to be good, I'll certainly be getting it for my next card (I currently run a GTX285 & 9500 and SoftTH for my 3 screens).
the good thing i can see with this is that it should work on all monitors as the TH2Go does not support all monitors should also work out a lot cheaper all I have to do now is save up
matrox did this a while ago, maybe ATI will learn from their mistakes.

i wonder why nvidia or ati have not figured out how to do this with SLI/x-fire. with a multi-card setup you have 4 DVI ports at hand.
The third link explains why this wasn't really possible until now, without using hacks like SoftTH. The 24 screens running a flight sim looks super impressive. There's some graphics horsepower to run that resolution.
#10 - Jakg
Holy. Shit. WANT.

**** knows how much it will cost, though :'(
Bet you'd lose your limb touching that while it's running.
But what the hell, 40nm? How did they do that?
#12 - jmkz
Quote from rc10racer :

incorrect comparison; the man who posted this results ONLY posted 43fps in Crysis VH DX10, not other details were added about which benchmark he ran, and neither did he put in a GTX 295 or HD 4890 CF in this system; so takes the "comparison" numbers with a truckload of salt.

The HD 5870 will be $399
The HD 5850 will be $299

http://www.madshrimps.be/vbull ... 0-pricing-revealed-66208/
to be launched, most likely a soft launch with few samples in stores, end this month 22/23 September, larger availability expected early October.

regarding the Eyefinity edition of the HD 5870 (used to run the 24 display demo) it will be for late 2009
I was just waiting for something like this, I knew it would happen eventualy, now I just have to start saving.

I won't be running more than three monitors though, since thats all I need, but with 24 you could get a pretty cool setup going. Having a whole wall as just monitor would be awsome, sure it's more expensive than a projector at first, but most people don't take into account that monitors last longer than a projector bulb, and those are very expensive.
5 22" screens in a proper 180 degree semicircle would be fantastic for driving games.
its wouldnt unless they give you an option to use a different projection (which they wont)
Yeah, you'd need the game to render from 5 cameras. Some (mentioning no names *coughLFScough*) don't even do 3.
Quote from rc10racer :

May I ask what all those cables are at the back of that card?
Also : 2x power cables? wat...
Quote from Quint999 :its a six monitor version & they are mini display port outputs ( as used on Apples) , the only way they can fit 6 ports on 1 card.

i've read the 1st batches of 5870's will only have 3 ports, the 6 port ones will come later. the nda should be lifted 23rd sept so all will become clearer.

4870's / 4890's have 2 power cables, most hefty ati and nvidia video cards require them at the moment

My 4850's have one.
Quote from jmkz :
The HD 5850 will be $299

http://www.madshrimps.be/vbull ... 0-pricing-revealed-66208/

3850 was ~150ish (euros) a bit after launch (130(euros)? 180(euros)? i don't remember)
4850 was ~150ish (euros) as well (ditto)

5850 wouldn't make sense to be more than twice that.

also, what makes me even more sceptic is that the story was removed.

$200, ok... $220 i can understand... but $300... i would be very surprised.

EDIT: ah, i just checked... 300usd is 200euro so the prices are more or less OK :P
4850 launched at $200 and 4870 at $300. However, even 4870 only matched gtx 260 at the time. since 5850 is supposed to beat gxt 285, and 5870 > gtx 295, with nothing from nVidia coming until at least Decemberish, the prices look very logical (and much more reasonable than nVidia's launch prices for the gtx series).
And I think that table is not quite correct, most sites list 1600 stream processors.

Anyway, just wanted to post a funny video that's been going on, one of those Hitler scene parodies, well, it's funny for those who are somewhat familiar with the latest development in the GPU market.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR45ja_fNzU
#21 - jmkz
and it doesn't matter really. whether it's one or two or eleventy yellow cables, it still sucks power from the same circuit. the PSU determines if there is enough power.

i have no idea why they insist with putting more plugs... maybe because one individual cable is not rated for above 10 A? (random number) so we need four to get 40 A to the card?

just thought about it. what do you think?
I think there's a good reason for it.
Maybe for overclocking? No idea to be honest.
Quote from george_tsiros :
i have no idea why they insist with putting more plugs... maybe because one individual cable is not rated for above 10 A? (random number) so we need four to get 40 A to the card?

Probably more to do with the amperage rating for the circuitry that divides the power up to the different cables inside the PSU. You could probably make a PSU that can run the top-end cards from one cable, but there wouldn't be much point, as they all just have plugs for two cables.
i was more or less right then, it has to do with power distribution.
Any know if it is possible to connect 5 monitors in horitzontal?

ATI Eyefinity (ATI's triple head video card)
(50 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG