just some ideas:
1. you need a nozzle, to straighten the airflow. You want thrust, not noise.
2. a three wheeler. Less friction than four.
3. rather long design to keep it going straight
4. for the fast one: everything as light as possible
5. for the longrange one: put weight on the wheels, use them as flywheels, so that it keeps going once its running
6. keep the nozzle in the middle of you chassis, or above the rear axle, to eliminate "lever arm of a force(?)" effects if the nozzle is not 100% straight
7. CDs work well as wheels