The online racing simulator
Vista help
(32 posts, started )
Vista help
Ok since i've moved from my old computer running XP Prop 32 bit. Now I have a nice new computer running Vista Home Premium 64bit.

I need a bit of help to get all of the features down.
#2 - Jakg
is there a question in there at all?
He's asking for (general) tips maybe (which he could find better elsewhere).
disable UAC (use google) that will get u started.
Vista bad, 7 good.
Quote from LFSn00b :Vista good, XP better, 7 best.

XP better than Vista? Is your PC from early 90's?
Quote from Shadowww :XP better than Vista? Is your PC from early 90's?

No but imho xp is better than vista, because everything runs without a problem on XP.
I don't see the fuss about the UAC, once you have you pc setup you'll hardly even see it anymore.

What is more important from my point is not being logged in with a user of the administrator group all the time. Activate the Administrator and change your normal one to the user group.
Quote from Stefani24 :No but imho xp is better than vista, because everything runs without a problem on XP.

Everything? Really?
Quote from Stefani24 :No but imho xp is better than vista, because everything runs without a problem on XP.

No but imho vista is better than xp, because everything runs without a problem on Vista.
xp ran smoothly on my core 2 duo...just perfect not a single problem i could recall...then i got quad core with vista...oh that headache("windows explorer has stopped working and will now restart"- every day same old message, + for some reason i found that awfully lot of programs i used on xp, didn't work anymore.), then i put on 7....weeee, like being back on xp again, good fast...all working again, with a lot more eyecandy though
Quote from Shadowww :XP better than Vista? Is your PC from early 90's?

So ME mark 2 is wonderful is it ?

Try Ubuntu 9 or OS 10.5 to see what Vista could have been.

XP has always been a far better choice than Vista for most sites, far lower machine specs for good performance, runs all the software and it is supported by MS for a while yet, so why change what works well ?

MS seem to have finally got things sorted with Windows 7, and it seems to actually work out of the box.

I'm running 3 test systems ( 3 Ghz Pentium, iMac Core 2, Dell Core 2 ) and it outperforms any previous version of Windoze on all of them.

7 will be worth updating to but I suspect only Home Premium or Enterprise ( or wotever ) will be worth bothering with.

Most people require a basic system which actually works, doesn't cause agravation, and doesn't require a completely pointless systems upgrade just to run the operating system.
Quote from Racer X NZ :....
Most people require a basic system which actually works, doesn't cause agravation, and doesn't require a completely pointless systems upgrade just to run the operating system.

Amen to that..

Vista has been flakey as hell on a completely new machine.. just got progressively more unstable. I ended up completely reinstalling the OS and it was fine for about 3 to 4 months and now I get the occasional BOD and spontaneous restarts. There are no dodgy programmes, no Virtual Machines etc installed... nothing but WHQL certified drivers yet it's still unstable.

All that and it makes a reasonably spec'd machine feel slugish.

I never had any such issues with XP unless I started installing beta drivers.

I've got W7 as a dual boot. First thing I noticed was how much quicker it was than Vista. No unexplained "thinking about it" pauses before getting on with opening an application or installing a package. On the downside, I have already experienced my first crash on it, (so I am now entertaining the possibility that I have a very intermittent hardware issue), but either way it's more stable and quicker then Vista ever was. So much so, that I'm giving serious consideration to buying it when it's released and that would be a first for me !!
Quote from Racer X NZ :So ME mark 2 is wonderful is it ?

Try Ubuntu 9 or OS 10.5 to see what Vista could have been.

Worst linux ever, where you need to kill xserver, install build-essentials and learn how to change permissions just to install 3D driver? :3
XP - works but kinda old and not that good looking anymore
Vista - Good looks, good performance (can't understand people who constantly blame Vista, mostly its their own stupidness). There is even service pack 2 available for Vista.
Windows 7 - Very good

Bill Gates and Microsoft rock!
-
(-NightFly-) DELETED by -NightFly-
Quote from Eleanor SpeedGT :XP - works but kinda old and not that good looking anymore
Vista - Good looks, good performance (can't understand people who constantly blame Vista, mostly its their own stupidness). There is even service pack 2 available for Vista.
Windows 7 - Very good

Bill Gates and Microsoft rock!

Stupidity.
But still none of the GTAs work here properly, and all of a sudden my itunes stopped working.
You call that stupidity?

yeah, except for stuff that only runs on vista.

Everything of mine runs no problem on vista. Just got to have a little more knowledge

Used by an average user, Vista Sucks.. but used by an expert user who has no concern in security...... vista at least runs how i want it to. XD
Quote from Stefani24 :Stupidity.
But still none of the GTAs work here properly, and all of a sudden my itunes stopped working.
You call that stupidity?

yes.

Again, I've had No problems whatsoever. (Had to do quite a bit of tweaking here and there... but hey, I have the time. ^_^)
Vista 64 Ultimate has been a-ok for me for a year now.
Quote from Shadowww :Worst linux ever, where you need to kill xserver, install build-essentials and learn how to change permissions just to install 3D driver? :3

wierd system u got.
worked without any problems (and in a matter of few mins) for me.
Quote from Stefani24 :Stupidity.
You call that stupidity?

GTA III works, GTA Vice City works, GTA San Andreas works, GTA IV works, iTunes works. What I am doing wrong?

Vista help
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG