The online racing simulator
Help with Linux (Ubuntu 32bits)
(12 posts, started )
Hello everyone.

Ok, so I downloaded some version of Ubuntu from the official website and I'm trying it out right now. I've already updated it. However, there are plenty of strange things that I just don't get it:

- How come it won't open my nVidia drivers for Ubuntu? File format is .run and it asks me for a program to open it.
- Also, how do I change resolution? My monitor can do up to 1680x1050 but I just can't find anywhere to change resolution from 800x600. Visual effects also don't work. System is running with "None" and I can't enable either "Normal" or "Extra".

I'm posting this from Ubuntu, and, until now, I prefer Windows. Can anyone help me change my mind?
To install driver, you need to go to System > Administration > Drivers (don't know if it's precise name, at least it was in 8.04)
usually u wanna use .deb files on ubuntu (easier than windows installers...).
but u can use .run too.
just open up a console, navigate it to the place where the drivers are and do:
chmod +x <drivername> [enter]
after:
./<drivername> [enter]

then u should be led through the install setup.
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :usually u wanna use .deb files on ubuntu (easier than windows installers...).
but u can use .run too.
after:
./<drivername> [enter]

To install driver manually, he needs build-essentials, knowledge how to temporarily disable GDM/XServer, etc. Mine method is more sophestical
From what I remember from Ubuntu, don't bother with drivers downloaded from a website.

Just let it nag you that it needs drivers and install them from the window it brings up.

It'll say some blah blah blah about non-open source drivers, ignore that and install, then log out and log back in.

You can't change resolution or enable effects because you don't have the drivers installed. Don't think with your Windows head, you don't need to go in search for the nVidia drivers as Ubuntu pretty much serves them up on a platter for you if you click the right (and it's very obvious which one to click) thing.
well, if so theres always the ubuntu wiki
havent used ubuntu in ages, also never had to manually install graphic drivers so no idea.

btw, visual effects wont work until u have graphic drivers installed.
resolution should be in the same drop down menu.
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :usually u wanna use .deb files on ubuntu (easier than windows installers...).
but u can use .run too.
after:
./<drivername> [enter]

How do I open a console?

Quote from Shadowww :To install driver, you need to go to System > Administration > Drivers (don't know if it's precise name, at least it was in 8.04)

There's only "Hardware Drivers", and it doesn't allow me to install new drivers, just to modify already installed drivers.

Quote from Syfoon :From what I remember from Ubuntu, don't bother with drivers downloaded from a website.

Just let it nag you that it needs drivers and install them from the window it brings up.

It'll say some blah blah blah about non-open source drivers, ignore that and install, then log out and log back in.

You can't change resolution or enable effects because you don't have the drivers installed. Don't think with your Windows head, you don't need to go in search for the nVidia drivers as Ubuntu pretty much serves them up on a platter for you if you click the right (and it's very obvious which one to click) thing.

It said "searching for drivers", didn't say anything else and then said "can't enable effects".
I managed to change resolution, though. System > Preferences > Display
Quote from Velociround :It said "searching for drivers", didn't say anything else and then said "can't enable effects".

Well, of course it won't let you enable effects if you didn't install the driver

Quick Google found this;

1) Open Synaptic Package Manager
2) Search nvidia
3) Installed all the 177 that are not yet installed (except those with the -dev suffix)
4) Made sure nvidia-settings is installed as well
5) Restarted
6) Went to “Hardware Drivers”
7) Activated 177
Quote from Syfoon :Well, of course it won't let you enable effects if you didn't install the driver

Quick Google found this;

1) Open Synaptic Package Manager
2) Search nvidia
3) Installed all the 177 that are not yet installed (except those with the -dev suffix)
4) Made sure nvidia-settings is installed as well
5) Restarted
6) Went to “Hardware Drivers”
7) Activated 177

1) Ok
2) Ok
3) Ok
4) Ok
5) Ok
6) Ok
7) "No proprietary drivers are in use on this system."
It shows no drivers at all on "Hardware Drivers"
gezmoor, 8.04, 8.10, 9.04 and 9.10 can install drivers automatically.
Quote from Shadowww :gezmoor, 8.04, 8.10, 9.04 and 9.10 can install drivers automatically.

Including propietary ones?

If so, fair enough I stand corrected.

(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG