The online racing simulator
GT Academy Winner Scores First Race Win
http://www.gtplanet.net/gt-aca ... er-scores-first-race-win/

Quote :Despite spending the majority of his driving career in front of Gran Turismo, GT Academy winner Lucas Ordonez and teammate Alex Buncombe scored their first race victory at the Zolder circuit in Belgium last week, behind the wheel of the RJN Motorsport Nissan 350Z.

Not bad at all....
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
This Lucas kid already has single seater and karting experience (according to GT Planet) so I don't get what the fuss is about. take any half decent racer and stick a load of cash in them, put them in a series not many people have heard about and they may just win occasionally Had he came in with no experience racing then maybe it would be impressive, but in perspective... nah. good marketing tool though!
Quote from Intrepid :This Lucas kid already has single seater and karting experience so I don't get what the fuss is about. take any half decent racer and stick a load of cash in them, put them in a series not many people have heard about and they may just win occasionally

It's still different to endurance racing, look at Stephen Jelley for instance, and how bad he's done....
Quote from pacesetter :It's still different to endurance racing, look at Stephen Jelley for instance, and how bad he's done....

It may different but it sounds like GT just didn't wanna risk putting an inexperienced racer in their car. They found someone that could drive OK, had real experience, and who happened to enter the competition. This kid might be a very good driver, but all this has proved is you can take someone who apparently already has a decent amount of experience racing, and with enough cash injection can make them win GT4 races.... something not entirely that remarkable.
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
Lucas's team mate Alex Buncombe is an experienced racing driver and not the dude they selected to race with him so I am not sure about your point?

The organisers have chosen the driver who already had previous experience, and thus null and voiding the whole value and purpose of the competition. Even though maximum respect to Lucas for getting the drive. Luckily for GT they had someone that had previous experience or they wouldn't have any racing.
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
Quote from carey :My point's that the inexperienced people involved in GT academy drove like rookies, with some of them even depressing the clutch whilst cornering to start with! So if one of them would have been placed in the original 24hr event, they would have been slow, and possibly binned the car along with whatever other carnage they caused. Your disappointment about them not placing a pure online gamer in the car is somewhat baffling, as they wouldn't have done such a good job as Lucas, and we wouldn't be having this conversation as they wouldn't have continued racing with them.

I didn't express disappointed, and it actually confirms what I already believe about these type of programs anyway.

However, the whole point of the program is defeated by the fact they've put someone in the car who already has experience. All the program has proved is that you can pick someone with a prior experience in motorsport, plug a load of cash into them, and they can win GT4 race against whoever races in that class. wow ground breaking stuff... not
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
WTF has Stephen Jelley got to do with anything?
Quote from boothy :WTF has Stephen Jelley got to do with anything?

Bad example, what I meant was that single seater racing is completely different to what Lucas is at, ok, maybe it's not Touring Cars, but a 350z endurance racing car is different to your average clubman single seater.
Quote from pacesetter :Bad example, what I meant was that single seater racing is completely different to what Lucas is at, ok, maybe it's not Touring Cars, but a 350z endurance racing car is different to your average clubman single seater.

Well you don't know the full story behind Jelley's experience so it's hard to tell how bad, or good he has done.

However my point was the GT Academy ‘world’s first virtual to real life racing driver’ has only proved that you can take an already experienced driver and get them in a car capable of winning GT4 races (who he's actually beating I do not know they could be nobodies)

Racing karts and single seaters provides a driver with 20x more skills and knowledge than playing GT5 alone. I thought the project was about finding a sim racer and taking them to real cars. This doesn't appear to be the case however
Quote from Intrepid :Well you don't know the full story behind Jelley's experience so it's hard to tell how bad, or good he has done.

However my point was the GT Academy ‘world’s first virtual to real life racing driver’ has only proved that you can take an already experienced driver and get them in a car capable of winning GT4 races (who he's actually beating I do not know they could be nobodies)

Racing karts and single seaters provides a driver with 20x more skills and knowledge than playing GT5 alone. I thought the project was about finding a sim racer and taking them to real cars. This doesn't appear to be the case however

Okay sorry mate, didn't really get you, and my example wasn't really the greatest.. I think I'll stay quiet now
I think, for any sim gamer who was thinking about trying it for real, it would be crazy not to get some karting experience. Anyone can do it provided normal health, and it's cheap as chips in local clubs or arrive and drive (copared to the money you will have to spend to race cars), and it's hard to win at provided competent competition, so you'll get good at racing. Big cars just seem easy compared to karts.
anyone attempting this, this year?
also does the g25 work on ps3? in the academy demo?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG