The online racing simulator
general rant about posting files for leagues and events
i know this is going to sound a little out there, but it's kinda bugging me...

for the love of god, please stop posting word documents and pdf's for leagues and events... not everyone has office or adobe, and both formats are known for having exploits and viruses embedded in them. they're just not good formats for sharing things.

ok, i'm done now.
Or, and this might sound incredibly complex, install a virus scanner. Then when you download something it'll tell you if it's infected. Not all the time, granted, but 99% of it.

MS Office is the most used office package on the planet, so it's not shocking that people use it. I prefer OpenOffice these days, but that's just me. Even then I'd still share stuff in .doc or .xml format so that I knew most people could use it.
but is it really that hard to post the info right on the forum? or on another website? i mean, they're typing it all up already, and a web browser is more prevalent than a office suite.

edit: OOO relies on java, and hence i refuse to install it.
Because Java is evil, obviously

I guess it depends. If they only post on one forum, then writing it out neatly in BBcode is probably just as easy as formatting a word document. But if they post on a load of places then maybe it's easier to just post a link to a file on all of them. Maybe they haven't thought of doing it once and C&Ping to other forums, I don't know

They should have a website though, that would solve both problems. Have the rules up there, no external files and they can easily update it with results and photos and replays if they wanted to. Can't get a top-level domain for free these days, but there's plenty of decent subdomains around that would look a bit more professional.

I think laziness is the answer. Or maybe habit. Or maybe both.
Quote from Dajmin :Because Java is evil, obviously

Didn't you know Professor Java is a synonym for Dr Evil? :drevil:
What about a seperate forum is started for every league where you have to sign up with an e-mail adress which then gets spammed until the world ends?

SCNR.
Quote from bunder9999 :a web browser is more prevalent than a office suite.

I used to use this argument when I sent my CV to non-technical companies, last time I was unemployed. It's rather sad the number of recruitment staff that will throw a MASSIVE strop if you say "my CV is over there" or "my CV is attached (as a html file)".

Makes me sad
Quote from zeugnimod :What about a seperate forum is started for every league where you have to sign up with an e-mail adress which then gets spammed until the world ends?

SCNR.

you just had to rub that in my face again, didn't you?

for the record, FunRacingLeague is still sending me crap. I didn't even participate in the MRT cup like I had planned to...
Quote from Dajmin :
I prefer OpenOffice these days, but that's just me.

Open office is the work of SATAN. The foulest, most un-user friendly thing that has ever set foot on my computer. I nearly commit suicide whilst making the programme for the Kyoto 250 with OpenOffice. It is the stuff of the devil.

Every time I tried to do something in OpenOffice Writer that would have been easy to do (or actually possible to do) in MS Publisher, I had to find the most epic work arounds. I had to attempt to move a picture 3243 times before it sat where I wanted it to be, I had to make a plan of attack to retrieve something buried on the page under a picture, without f*cking up the entire page, I couldn't rotate a picture, let alone have text wrap around it.

AAAARGH

As a result, I refuse to make another programme for a New Dimension Racing event unless someone buys me Publisher or better software
#10 - Jakg
Quote from JO53PHS :Open office is the work of SATAN. The foulest, most un-user friendly thing that has ever set foot on my computer. I nearly commit suicide whilst making the programme for the Kyoto 250 with OpenOffice. It is the stuff of the devil.

Every time I tried to do something in OpenOffice Writer that would have been easy to do (or actually possible to do) in MS Publisher, I had to find the most epic work arounds. I had to attempt to move a picture 3243 times before it sat where I wanted it to be, I had to make a plan of attack to retrieve something buried on the page under a picture, without f*cking up the entire page, I couldn't rotate a picture, let alone have text wrap around it.

AAAARGH

As a result, I refuse to make another programme for a New Dimension Racing event unless someone buys me Publisher or better software

http://www.software4students.c ... erprise_2007-details.aspx
Quote from JO53PHS :I nearly commit suicide whilst making the programme for the Kyoto 250 with OpenOffice. It is the stuff of the devil.

At least I'm trying guys :rolleyes:
Quote from bunder9999 :both formats are known for having exploits and viruses embedded in them.

If you're worried about rules documents from league organisers containing viruses then you're in the wrong leagues.
Quote from JO53PHS :o_O

indeed, who would want office 2007? its fugly and slow as all hell... and whoever came up with "the ribbon" should be shot.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG