The online racing simulator
900degrees Steering Sensitivity(sad)
I don't know if I'm the only one who is expriencing this.......I'm just feeling that wheel sensitivity(G25 @ 900 Degrees) is a bit higher than real car. I play lfs for years and still feel as the same as at the first time I started using my G25 with LFS since Aril 2007.

It's like when you drive in real life you have to turn your wheel for 75-100d for L corner, but in lfs with G25 you have to turn only for 45-75. I'm sure my settings are correct and I recalibrate my axes since 2 years ago and nothing is different. I'm sure I'm using full 900 Degrees with correct ratio to the left end and right end of steering.

But when I use my G25 on other games, they are just fine. But I love LFS so I play only LFS for years and when I'm driving the real cars I lose my driving confidence because I have to turn my wheel more than playing with G25 in LFS. I don't drive real car often, I drive in LFS more. And I don't want to stop playing LFS, so I started this topic for any helps that would cure my bad feeling.

Am I feeling this way alone? I would appreciate for any suggestions....
Thanks

ps. sorry for my english
the average car has a bit more steering degrees, so the g25 is a bit more sensitive
Any adjustments? please.....I already know that cars got 1100d or more, but isn't there a way to do something about this?
Just set the steer lock lower so it fits whatever you perceive to be correct?
Quote from AndroidXP :Just set the steer lock lower so it fits whatever you perceive to be correct?

You are my life saver. I never noticed before that lower this will less first circle steering sensitivity. I though this will make my max steering degree lower. So I never set it below than 720.

Now I set it to 630 and it's fine........Thanks

I wonder if there will be a gaming wheel available @ 1100-1200d.
i would get that wheel
they i would have to change my name
Quote from Dark-Master of XG :I wonder if there will be a gaming wheel available @ 1100-1200d.

Probably not any time soon. The Force Feedback motors are too slow to handle 900 degrees properly as it is. Having even more degrees would make it worse.

Also outside the hardcore simming community (quite small minority) there is not really a demand for more degrees. 900 degress came popular because it had the Gran Turismo series' backing.
Real cars have 720 degrees steering.
Quote from geeman1 :Probably not any time soon. The Force Feedback motors are too slow to handle 900 degrees properly as it is. Having even more degrees would make it worse.

Also outside the hardcore simming community (quite small minority) there is not really a demand for more degrees. 900 degress came popular because it had the Gran Turismo series' backing.

Thank you for info.

Quote from Eleanor SpeedGT :Real cars have 720 degrees steering.

For mine and my known person's, japanese cars. I got 11xx, I think.

You just pulled that "fact" straight out of your arse didn't you

Sorry, they don't. Thay have more than 1000 degrees of steering.
All cars have a different turn rate on the wheel when compared to different models. A Mazda RX7 doesn't have the same steering turn rate as a truck.

I'll give a perfect real life example. My real life car has a maximum turning lock on the wheel of 3.8 turns, That is 1368 degees! For a low speed tight left hand corner I need a full turn of steering lock to get around it. Basicly any kind of corner requires quite a bit of a turn on the wheel.

Another example. Mitsubishi Gallant VR4. Has IIRC 2.5 turns of steering lock. 900 degrees same as a G25. To turn that thing required very little steering lock, around a quarter to 3/5th's of a turn to make the same corner.

It's all reletive. The steering sensitivity when using a G25 feels very much like a sports car's steering rack and is quite fast.

To the opening poster. Something you may not have realised is that many cars have a variable ratio steering rack so they may be very slow around centre and then get more sensitive as you turn further or vice versa. If you find that steering is just too sensitive in LFS around centre you can go into the logitech profile and adjust the sensitivity.

To do this make a profile for Live for Speed. Once that is done click on Steering Wheel as one of the controls and it'll pop up a window that lets you change the sensitivity, dead zone and range of that controller axis. Decrease the sensitivity and it'll make the wheel less sensitive around centre. As you turn further you will get more steering input as you turn further and further.
Quote from Crash Dummy :All cars have a different turn rate on the wheel when compared to different models. A Mazda RX7 doesn't have the same steering turn rate as a truck.

I'll give a perfect real life example. My real life car has a maximum turning lock on the wheel of 3.8 turns, That is 1368 degees! For a low speed tight left hand corner I need a full turn of steering lock to get around it. Basicly any kind of corner requires quite a bit of a turn on the wheel.

Another example. Mitsubishi Gallant VR4. Has IIRC 2.5 turns of steering lock. 900 degrees same as a G25. To turn that thing required very little steering lock, around a quarter to 3/5th's of a turn to make the same corner.

It's all reletive. The steering sensitivity when using a G25 feels very much like a sports car's steering rack and is quite fast.

To the opening poster. Something you may not have realised is that many cars have a variable ratio steering rack so they may be very slow around centre and then get more sensitive as you turn further or vice versa. If you find that steering is just too sensitive in LFS around centre you can go into the logitech profile and adjust the sensitivity.

To do this make a profile for Live for Speed. Once that is done click on Steering Wheel as one of the controls and it'll pop up a window that lets you change the sensitivity, dead zone and range of that controller axis. Decrease the sensitivity and it'll make the wheel less sensitive around centre. As you turn further you will get more steering input as you turn further and further.

Great info and very useful! Big Thanks
Quote from Dark-Master of XG :Any adjustments? please.....I already know that cars got 1100d or more, but isn't there a way to do something about this?

My car's steering wheel turns almost 4 turns lock to lock, meaning that it's just short of 1440 degrees, though my car isn't designed to be sporty, it does the job well and I hardly notice the steering anyway, on the track (if ever) I wouldn't notice the amount of turns because you only use about 1.5 turns anyway.

The cars in LFS all do 720 degrees or less, not _real_ cars, unless they've been given a new steering rack.
You can also reduce the maximum steering lock. That way you have to turn your wheel more to get around a sharp corner, which is what you seem to want.
Now I'm using 630 steering lock for XR GT Turbo with 900d turns !! It fits my handling.
Quote from The Moose :You just pulled that "fact" straight out of your arse didn't you

indeed, both the Ford FOcus as the Seat Ibiza do 1080 deg here.
most cars are more like 960deg
#19 - Woz
Quote from legoflamb :most cars are more like 960deg

Most cars ar 1080 tbh. Very few road cars will have anything like 900 lock.

The other thing to take into account is that man LFS sets have max lock available set for steering while many road cars are less than this.

So couple much more rotational lock and also less turning lock and this highlights why it feels like this in LFS.

Best setup at the mo for G25 is as follows
720 steering lock in driver and LFS
101% FF in driver
??% FF in LFS (adjust to suit but 30-40% is good)
Wheel turn comp in LFS set to 1

Now you wheel turn in LFS and on the G25 will match 100%.

I asked for road cars with 900deg lock in LFS ages ago and Scawen said not easy at the time because the need for new animation along with invalidation of replays.

Now we have the major update and a real car like the VW lets hope most road cars move to 900+ natural lock
4 Turns lock to lock in a BMW e30.
Quote from Woz :
I asked for road cars with 900deg lock in LFS ages ago and Scawen said not easy at the time because the need for new animation along with invalidation of replays.

The animation shouldn't be a problem anymore, since the Scirocco seemed to have 900 degree steering with hand animation at the game convention last year.
#23 - Woz
Quote from Matrixi :The animation shouldn't be a problem anymore, since the Scirocco seemed to have 900 degree steering with hand animation at the game convention last year.

Good news. Means we can really use all 900 rotation along with wheel turn comp 1
Quote from Woz :Most cars ar 1080 tbh. Very few road cars will have anything like 900 lock.

I guess I shouldn't have been so general. My astro van and my miata both have around 960. I shouldn't have generalized.

That sounds about right for the FF for me as well except i run 105 in lfs and 110 in the drivers
Quote from legoflamb :
That sounds about right for the FF for me as well except i run 105 in lfs and 110 in the drivers

You like a rough workout, don't you
My table, along with the wall, would come undone if I ever went anywhere close to that FF strenght.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG