The online racing simulator
Computer help, graphics card/xp or vista advise
Guys,

I was wondering if someone could help me, I am buying a new computer with a graphics card, and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what graphics card works best with lfs?, also would it be better to run lfs with vista and wait for windows7 and use my free upgrade or use xp?

Thanks
#2 - WSR
Hi,

Absolutely any decent (even intergrated Intel graphics chipsets), or better (cards from Nvidia's GeForce range or ATI/AMD's RADEON range) will work fine with LFS.

As far as I know, there's not really a best card for LFS, as it itself is more CPU dependent.

However, as a rough estimate, Nvidia's Geforce 6 series or better (7/8/9/GTX 200 series) or ATI/AMD's RADEON HD 2 series or HD 3 series/HD 4 series/etc should be fine to max out LFS at good frame rates.
Hi N Murray

If you have a large monitor and/or want to play LFS with good framerates (60+) with all the settings that make LFS look best, you would be better getting a high range GFX card (ATI 4870 for example) I prefere the image quality of ATI cards over Nvidia, but thats just me.

As for the OS LFS runs just fine on XP, Vista and W7 so that part of your question is down to what you are most comfortably using

Good luck

SD.
That isn't 100% true. You could generally do fine with something better than a 7900GT which is around the 8600GTS region (ATi HD2600, X1900) with high resolutions. Generally, anything with 8800 in front of it will work, given you are at high resolution. I for one, am pulling of 3072 x 768 (I am rendering 3 1024 x 768 monitors, but running on two) where I pull off 40 -50 FPS at highest detail (stock LFS, no add-ons) with a 7600GT (stock) and a E2180 @ 3 ghz.

So as long as your CPU isn't crap, anything like (in respective series)

- 8600GT +
- 2600xxxx +
- 9500GT +
- 3650 +
- 4550+

should do fine. If I am correct, LFS is still using DX8 shaders. Thus a 4870 is just overkill. A 7600GT is around the power of a 8600GT / 9500GT with nominal shaders, which is 1/4 the power of a full fledge 8800GTX, which is 20% less powerful than a 4870 (I Think). Thus, even if you are doing, lets say 5040 * 1050 or whatever, you should be fine with a semi - last or last generation graphic card king, or a current day mid - high - end card.

All in all, you don't need like 2 4870s in cFx, or 3 GTX285s in SLI.

- Depends on your settings...

EDIT: Yes, a card in the 6 Series should do fine too. 6600GT, 6800 xxx for single monitors or old multiple monitors.
i doubt one can buy a (normal, complete) system today that can not run LFS quite nicely.

let me see some of the cheapest possible, current generation, stuff on a greek e-shop...

AMD ATHLON II X2 245 2.9GHZ DUAL-CORE BOX
ASUS M4N78-AM
GIGABYTE RADEON HD4550 GV-R455D3-512I 512MB PCI-E RETAIL

yup. it won't go nuts, but it will play lfs quite nice, no?
i'll let someone else create a list like that for a intel/nvidia system
#6 - dadge
LFS plays fine with a 7600GT too
Quote from george_tsiros :i'll let someone else create a list like that for a intel/nvidia system

AMD/NV system in my signature never dropped under 60 fps (VSync), even with 32 cars. I have hi-res textures, Lynce's pack, full AA/AF, etc etc. And it was pretty cheap aswell.
I had frame rate issues on my old GeForce FX5500. It was alright, but did chug sometimes. So that's about as low as I'd ever go for LFS. A GeForce 6 series or above will have plenty of juice.

As long as your CPU can keep up, of course
I got a radeon 4850 for 60 pound granted i dont have a bog std CPU etc but i can run LFS at 500FPS

A
Generally, it should never be a problem. But if you are actually running high resolutions, basically anything as high as 1920 * 1080 , or multi- monitors, having a stronger card with sufficient dedic. ram, and SPs, pipelines, etc, would be good. This comes in handy especially when running in high player servers. Could be a CPU thing, but when it comes to something like 12 - 13 players, I drop to maybe a 20 - 30 frames. If you plan to run stuff like, F@H, or torrenting, or playing music, you'd better have a bit more than posted.

Other thing, if you are running Vista, don't expect to pull it off with something like a 4200Ti, or what not. I doubt it really. Current IGP or low - end GPUs should always be able to pull it off. Even an EEE PC should do the trick; but then agian, you are running at like 800 x 480 or 1024 x 600.

Never a problem with current computers though, and if anything, you can lower detail, or resolution. It becomes a problem with games using current - day shaders, such as FSX, if you are into flight sims. In such, you may need something like a current or last gen king to do the job.

Graphic cards come in cheap nowadays anyways. I remember when I first built my PC which was only 3 - 4 years ago, where a mid - end GPU like a 6600GT would cost like $200 where, nowadays, an mid - high to even the near top models cost that much. I can buy myself a 4850 for merely $100!
Quote from GenesisX :or torrenting

If you use right torrent client (rTorrent), you won't notice it's using CPU at all.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG