The online racing simulator
Best Budget Shifter?
(15 posts, started )
#1 - JJ72
Best Budget Shifter?
My G25 shifter is now terminally ill (it jumps between gears) and I am seeking a replacement, however I am at sea with what should I get since I didn't really follow the latest hardware developments.

my budget would be around 120 euros, looking for something solid and durable.

(actually would it be stupid to open up and try to fix the shifter? as I have heard it might be down to simple conductivity issues.)
#2 - amp88
Quote from JJ72 :(actually would it be stupid to open up and try to fix the shifter? as I have heard it might be down to simple conductivity issues.)

If it's out of warranty then you've got nothing to lose by trying to fix it. Some issues with the shifter are easy to fix. Chances are someone, somewhere has had the same issue so you could find a step by step guide to fix it if you can identify the issue.
#3 - JJ72
yeah I've spend the last 30 mins looking at it, I think I am gonna find my friends who does R/C and see if they can fix the wiring (if that's the problem).
I've been having the same problem with my G25 shifter for quite some time now. I've been wanting to get a Lightning SST shifter but I don't have that kind of money at the moment

As for trying to fix the shifter myself, I don't know the first thing about that kind of stuff so I think it's best to keep my hands off of it. It sure frustrates the hell out of me, though, and has cost me quite a few positions and races.
Quote from JJ72 :My G25 shifter is now terminally ill (it jumps between gears) and I am seeking a replacement, however I am at sea with what should I get since I didn't really follow the latest hardware developments.

my budget would be around 120 euros, looking for something solid and durable.

(actually would it be stupid to open up and try to fix the shifter? as I have heard it might be down to simple conductivity issues.)

My best advice if you don't want to try and fix the one you have is to save a bit more and get a Lightning SST. It is a superb shifter. I own one and I can tell you it is awesome. Use the paddles while you save up. It is worth it. It is tough, feels super smooth and is ultra precise. The SST will cost you 168 Euros shipped. A bit more then your 120 budget I know, but I believe you would find it worth it. I have used the Actlabs and it feels junky. No offense to anyone that has one, but the SST is a far superior shifter.

- Jay Odom
#7 - JJ72
Thanks I will look into that.
Quote from jbirdaspec :My best advice if you don't want to try and fix the one you have is to save a bit more and get a Lightning SST. It is a superb shifter. I own one and I can tell you it is awesome. Use the paddles while you save up. It is worth it. It is tough, feels super smooth and is ultra precise. The SST will cost you 168 Euros shipped. A bit more then your 120 budget I know, but I believe you would find it worth it. I have used the Actlabs and it feels junky. No offense to anyone that has one, but the SST is a far superior shifter.

- Jay Odom

The SST is very good for super fast H-box shifting in competative racing. It's very well made, extremely strong and looks great with a custom knob . The only down side for me is that it does not feel realistic in comparison to any real life H-box shift arrangement that I've ever driven. It's maybe too precise for me. Still well worth the money I would say though
I agree with the Scotsman

I like the SST shifter but It's not notchy or lose enough for me. Way too smooth Imo.
#10 - JJ72
so what you mean is it does not have enough of a "gated" feeling?
It has a gated feel and the H-Gate works very well. It doesn't take that much getting used to, but the gear change feels more like your moving an electrical switching lever than any mechanical transmission that I've ever tried.
#12 - JJ72
Decided to order one
nice
Quote from AlienT. :nice

Taken advice from a scotsman under the influence of god knows what....
hmmm dubious
Quote from SpikeyMarcoD :Taken advice from a scotsman under the influence of god knows what....
hmmm dubious

he was taking a "break" at the time

Best Budget Shifter?
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG