The online racing simulator
Feeling for the limit
(13 posts, started )
Feeling for the limit
Hey folks,

I know I'm not strictly a beginner, but seeing as it is probably a question a beginner may ask, i'll stick it in here

Is there a way of getting the feeling of the limits of the front tyres through the FFB in LFS? After a bloody long session trying to learn KY3r for the GTAL race on Saturday, I have started to realise that their isn't really much feel through the steering wheel, other than the feeling of losing rear grip (loose wheel in countersteering direction)

I have never felt the front of the car respond to me at all in LFS, and because of this, I haven't really got a feeling for where the limits of the front end are. I don't know how much grip I have, how much more I can push, etc.

If anyone has any idea, pop it in here

NOTE: Using G25, will post my setup when I get the time.
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
Well it's paying more attention to iRacing that has prompted me to mention this. I just can't feel what's going on. I have NKPro by the way and I can feel the car under me.
Type of car / tyre / track surface, wheel settings, FF settings, etc, etc.

But it's true that LFS FF doesn't feel very good.
#4 - dev
I use sound as a reference, because when heavily under-steering I have the same feeling on the wheel as when I have full grip. IRL you can turn the wheel with one finger (no power steering) while heavily under-steering (at least in all I have driven).
I've never had a problem. I can feel everything I need to, right down the sidewall flex of each tyre... On the other hand, I don't like nKP's FFB all that much, as it never feels like a real car.
I don't think you should over estimate what the FFB does; it is just a combination of the tire and suspension that resist slip angle in a certain way. So as you apply steering FFB will get heavier, possibly feeling weaker again as you steer more.

If the back goes sideways, the car goes in 'yaw' which also puts the front tires at a slip angle and thus you feel the force feedback wanting to apply opposite lock.

The main thing is not to let the FFB clip. There is a maximum strength FFB value that the sim can send to the wheel, but this has no relation to the in game FFB strength setting. So even when you set the in game strength to 50% you are very likely to overload the FFB and you loose fidelity.

It depends on the car and the setup (caster mostly), but I recall in LFS I rarely exceeded 20 or 25%.
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :
It depends on the car and the setup (caster mostly), but I recall in LFS I rarely exceeded 20 or 25%.

What about the wheel's own driver settings? Will that alter the fidelity or no?
Quote from tristancliffe :I've never had a problem. I can feel everything I need to, right down the sidewall flex of each tyre... On the other hand, I don't like nKP's FFB all that much, as it never feels like a real car.

How about iR ?
Haven't palyed nKP with any FF wheel, so can't comment.
Quote from MadCat360 :What about the wheel's own driver settings? Will that alter the fidelity or no?

Absolutely, I did a 'force measurment' test on the G25 above 95% there was no measured increase in force. This is probably within the margin of error but you can be sure that if you set the logitech software to more than 100%, you're adding to the risk of loosing fidelity.

Basically you can probably use profiler settings of 120% but then in game you might need 10% whereas if you use the profiler at 100% you might need 20% in game. These are just some examples, the numbers are probably wrong.
hmmm, no feeling for the front tyres. do you get that in all cars/setups or just this combo?

i love ky3r ( apart from the chicane, i prefer it to the normal direction ), having spent hundred of laps around there in the fzr a well tuned set is essential.

do you lack feel in all corners are does it get worse/better at high speed?
Quote from Keling :How about iR ?
Haven't palyed nKP with any FF wheel, so can't comment.

I didn't play iR for long enough or recently enough (there were a lot of flaws in the physics in the early days I gather) to make a fair comment. But I wasn't that impressed at the time to spend such a daft amount of money on a racing sim to not be able to race when it's convenient for me with suck-ass "Safety Rating" bullshit.
#12 - JJ72
Feeling the grip and load in LFS actually should never be a problem......well it's actually a factor of other forces (road texture, vibrations etc) being too weak in LFS.....

turn spring and damping to 0% in your wheel setup, 0 centering spring as well, then load a stock UFR on any SO track, the feel should be quite obvious.
FFB isnt God, it can't give you all.

Just open your eyes and ears and you'll notice understeer. You can hear tires squeaking of course and see how car isn't holding the perfect line. It tends to go straight.
Problem is, too early turn in point or just bad setup.

In case that car is having too much power on front wheels, like FXO, you will always have exit corner understeer. Some ppl might hate this, some ppl like myself could take this as a challenge.
What you want to do then is be very smooth with your throttle and see how much pedal you can use before you get mad wheelspin and car going straight out. Again use your visual senses as first and hearing as 2nd, ffb as third

I hope that helps

Feeling for the limit
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG