The online racing simulator
Hd3850 psu?
(15 posts, started )
Hd3850 psu?
Got a HD3850 agp version and think i need to replace my 220w 12v-5a psu !

Graphics card box says 450w min with 30amp 12v .

Would be nice to pick it up at a high store retailer today , but that might be asking a bit much.

Any advice peeps?

EDIT - Picked an OCZ at local pc store
lol, 450w 30amps is minimum for HD4850 But yea, 220w is not enough. For future proof - take 450w and it should work out.
the 3850 is a 65W card. Peak.

think about it.
Think it has more to do with the Amp's rather than Wattage.
Quote from Turbo Dad :Think it has more to do with the Amp's rather than Wattage.

considering the voltage supply of every card is the same (12V from the 4/6/8 pin and whatever else it gets from the pcie slot) what difference does it make to talk about a card's power consumption in watts or say that it demands that many amps?

also, you will almost never hear that a 4850 is a 10A card. but you will hear that the 4850 is a 120W card.

besides, when talking about power (measured in Watts) you can't talk about amperes.

in the end, the 3850 is a 65W card. peak. if the 220 psu were of good quality it would be OK under certain circumstances.
Why do sapphire ask for 30amps then?
Some cards draw more amps than others?
you can say that a card draws that many amps, or consumes that much power.

it's a one to one relationship.

30amps at 12V is 160W.

it doesn't have to do more with the "amps rather than the wattage". it's the same thing.

it's the two sides of the same coin.
Quote from hazaky :lol, 450w 30amps is minimum for HD4850 But yea, 220w is not enough. For future proof - take 450w and it should work out.

450W isn't minimum for HD4850... 2 Cards use a little bit more then that, so I don't think one of them uses 400ish W.
a 4850 peaks out at 150W

so ~15A on the 12V rails is ok.
Just received my 3850 sapphire AGP
and I love it. I only installed 9.7 hotfix. Last upgrade for a while considering I'm running quad core 6700 with low latency cas 2.0 DDR 400. I upgraded generic power supply to 650W, 35A, 12V rail. No problems. Maxed for eye candy give 92-93 FPS in all views. Now to figure how to get GPU temp in taskbar and make the fan adjustable with riva tuner. ATI tray tools do not work and CCC does not show fan output.
the one with the fan that blows the wrong way?

i would change the cooler, if i were you. not that that card puts out any amount of heat that should worry you, but it's a prime candidate for passive cooling.

as always, accelero s1rev2 (only problem is i don't remember if the agp version that you have is supported or if the pcie-agp bridge chip needs extra care)
Noted..........
Just tried new ati tray tools, ver. 1.6.3.9 beta. Works perfectly. GPU temp, fan function and usage are displayed in the same position when I was using older 1XXX series. Now to reload 9.7 hotfix without CCC.
CCC-C-C-Combobreaker!!!

Hd3850 psu?
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG