The online racing simulator
LFS Crashes Loading Server List
(13 posts, started )
#1 - Loz16
I'm having a problem with LFS Crashing my whole PC, forcing a restart.

It happenes usually loading the server list, but has happened before on loading up a test session.

I thought it was something to do with my Firewall/Antivirus (AVG 7.0 i think), so i used to disable my Firewall to get round the problem. I wanted to play tonight, so i disable my Firewall, but the game crashes when trying to connect to the master server list.

I'm not sure if its the Firewall/Antivirus conflicting with LFS, or something to do whith my PC being upgraded and it not supporting them. I'll post my specs...

Intel E8500 3.16GHz.
8GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 PC2-8500C5 (4x2GB).
Asus/nVidia GTX 295 Graphics Cars.
Mine did that a few times, and it turned out that something to do with my firewall had popped up on the desktop that i needed to click on for it to continue but i obviously couldn't see it so LFS just hung.

Start LFS, press shift+f4 to put it into windowed mode, then try it.

It may not be of any use as you said you disabled your firewall, but it does at least let you see if anything comes up that needs clicking on.
#3 - Loz16
I managed to add an exception to my Firewall for LFS, it worked, and loaded up most of the servers on the list. Unfortunatly, my computer gave me a BSoD for no apparent reason. My old computer used to do it all the time on some games (GTR Evolution being most prominent).

It seems something may not be getting along with LFS. I narrowed it down to my Antivirus, or maybe one of my PC Components. Or Windows Vista 64.
Do you have other fullscreen 3D games to test for your computers stability?

Alot of people are reporting issues with the 295 gfx cards.

SD.
#5 - Loz16
I've been playing games like Crysis, Sims 3, Flight Sim X without problems. And rFactor to a lesser extent, but that does crash slightly (Display Driver stops working).
#6 - Loz16
Bumping a little bit...

It seems my PC despised LFS for some reason. I did a re-install yesterday, but the Crash on the server list still occurs.

I changed my Motherboard and CPU in my PC recently too.

I can't actually get the car on track online due to this problem.
#7 - Loz16
Sorry for the triple post.

The problem was with AVG. I just un-installed it and the server list loads properly now.

I'm unsure as to why there was a problem/conflict though.

[EDIT] It turn's out that un-installing AVG gave a fluke result. It's now flat out refusing to load the server page, it just freezes the PC when i click the server list button.
Quote from Loz16 :Bumping a little bit...

It seems my PC despised LFS for some reason. I did a re-install yesterday, but the Crash on the server list still occurs.

I changed my Motherboard and CPU in my PC recently too.

I can't actually get the car on track online due to this problem.

Did you reinstall again after you changed the mobo and cpu?

You still using that same gfx card yes?

Quote from Loz16 :
The problem was with AVG. I just un-installed it and the server list loads properly now.

I'm unsure as to why there was a problem/conflict though.

[EDIT] It turn's out that un-installing AVG gave a fluke result. It's now flat out refusing to load the server page, it just freezes the PC when i click the server list button.

Have you checked windows firewall is allowing lfs to access the internet?
have you replaced AVG with another AV program? some have "live scan" apps that constantly check for threats you might need to allow lfs in those too.

Does your single player game work ok, with you +10 or +20 AI cars on track?

You might be able to system restore to the point where you loaded AVG this should allow you to install some other AV more sucessfully.

Good luck

SD.
can any one help with my problem? i cant get more than 5 sec out of lfs online.. it crashes(well like time-out) on any server.(i made a separate thread tho,but nobody wrote stuff related to this problem..) halp!
edit: yeah i checked gpu temp,its normal.
Quote from SparkyDave :Did you reinstall again after you changed the mobo and cpu?

You still using that same gfx card yes?

Have you checked windows firewall is allowing lfs to access the internet?
have you replaced AVG with another AV program? some have "live scan" apps that constantly check for threats you might need to allow lfs in those too.

Does your single player game work ok, with you +10 or +20 AI cars on track?

You might be able to system restore to the point where you loaded AVG this should allow you to install some other AV more sucessfully.

Good luck

SD.

I re-installed LFS yesterday to see if it rectified the problem.

I'm still using the same Graphics Card.

I will try adding LFS to the Windows Firewall exception.

I haven#t replaced AVG either, just un-installed it.

System restore may be a bit tricky considering i have a new CPU and Motherboard, unless that doesn't matter.
Quote from Loz16 :
System restore may be a bit tricky considering i have a new CPU and Motherboard, unless that doesn't matter.

If you have changed major hardware (mobo) it really requires a reinstallation of your OS, although windows looks like its running fine it usually has just "made do" with the drivers installed before your mobo change, and installed new ones for things it recognised as different.

does your LFS offline work ok?

SD.
It could be port blocking by your isp,used to happen with me with Tiscali
I had to wait two weeks until they stopped, try and find out if anyone else is having problems as it's usually highlighted on your isp's forums
Quote from SparkyDave :If you have changed major hardware (mobo) it really requires a reinstallation of your OS, although windows looks like its running fine it usually has just "made do" with the drivers installed before your mobo change, and installed new ones for things it recognised as different.

does your LFS offline work ok?

SD.

Didn't know i had to re-install my OS. I'm a bit in the dark as to how to re-install and keep all my stuff on the PC. Maybe Vista works different.

And LFS does work offline fine.

(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG