The online racing simulator
I was thinking of adding my results and set about re-installing my XP64 yesterday, however after numerious bootloader problems I ended up reinstalling all my OS's onto seperate drives (not partitions on same drive) today, I'm still restoring stuff now

Hopefully Ill be able to post some results soon

SD.
I'm sorry to hear that. I've come to hate computer problems. It's just not fun to keep fixing them any more. I keep my OS's of different drives as well and it works like a charm. I had Linux on same drive as Win 7 RC1, and it died too when I killed Win 7. Both were for evaluation purposes so its not something I'm sad about.

Cheers with all the installing etc.
I did it for a laugh as I also run multpile LFSsss.

My computer is a Q6600 @ 2.4GHz, 3Gig RAM, Vista HP 32bit, and NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS (512MB) - Windows Performance rating thingy of 5.4, let down by the graphics.

Results:

All instances were windowed 640*480, with the default config file save for the final test where I reduced the AA/AF on each one. I extended the time on one just to see what difference that would make.

LFS x 2
Frames: 1900 - Time: 30000ms - Avg: 63.333 - Min: 35 - Max: 105

LFS x 4
Frames: 685 - Time: 30000ms - Avg: 22.833 - Min: 16 - Max: 42

LFS x 4
Frames: 1930 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 32.167 - Min: 18 - Max: 55

LFS x 4 (2xAA,4xAF)
Frames: 1128 - Time: 30000ms - Avg: 37.600 - Min: 19 - Max: 66

Ok, did another test with my original cfg, (changes from your cfg --- no aa/af, compressed stuff, draw trees off, low res shadows, main for rubber and flags, multiplayer speedup @ 113m and 0.50 LOD, v-sync was on - though I don't know what difference it would make...)

Results:

LFS x 4 with my cfg
Frames: 1372 - Time: 30000ms - Avg: 45.733 - Min: 26 - Max: 63

LFS x 2 with my cfg
Frames: 1600 - Time: 30000ms - Avg: 53.333 - Min: 37 - Max: 64

LFS x 2 with my cfg minus v-sync and frame limit
Frames: 2636 - Time: 30000ms - Avg: 87.867 - Min: 35 - Max: 181

Make of that what you will!
And one kinda related point about temp_mpr - if you timeout/disconnect or the session restarts, and you have replay auto-save enabled (which I assume you do since the IGTC rules say the admins should have it enabled ) then if you are viewing temp_mpr in another LFS window the temp_mpr file will be overwritten, so when you exit the replay in that LFS, you have lost the replay forever! So, taking a copy of temp_mpr is highly recommended before you start opening it in another LFS!
Thank you for your testing, boothy.

Your CPU has ~37% lower frequency than mine, but only ~18% lower FPS rate, meaning yours is performing better per Mhz - thats not what I get if I compare with stats from the unofficial LFS benchmark site.

I think I'll give up on this, because I'm not understanding any of it now. The GPU drivers are shit (many ppl are complaining about GTX 295 drivers), and I can see the performance in ACDsee and Photoshop is "random" - but random in a way that it's either lacking in same fashion always or über smooth.

The OpenGL settings in PS CS4 have VSync enabled (looks smoother when panning), but quite often it drops to 30 clean. Not 20, not 35-40. It's either 30 or 60.

I'm still interested in more ppl doing this test though, as more tests would make it easier to see the bigger picture regarding performance across different systems.
Oh my, oh my... I feel like it's Christmas - I pretty much solved my problem :elefant:

I just tried running 12 instances of LFS - FPS was crap with that many, sure, but regarding the responsiveness of the computer (which was by far the most annoying and biggest issue), it felt like it was 90+% responsive.

I just marshaled the 8h IGTC race last Saturday (before I fixed the problem). Chatting on IRC on the side was painful with just 1 instance running - 2 felt like.. well, doesn't matter - just go watch my Youtube video and imagine having to chat with that kind of updates. Jikes!

Although I haven't been looking hard lately, I found it to be difficult to Google the issue - but I finally found something - so here it is - and I found it when I wasn't looking for it :hypnotize
http://forums.nvidia.com/index ... iew=findpost&p=570733 (post #2. I can't seem to link directly to it).

Who would ever had though that?? Really? Now that I know exactly what the problem is, I also know that I actually saw the first symptom some 1-2 years ago, when I bought a new mouse. It lags badly whenever I render. So bad that I eventually made a .bat file to always start the 3D app with lowest priority - because if not, then once the render had started, I often had to wait for it to complete before being able to do anything with the PC - but the mouse lag is complete gone too. I just rendered 8.000.000 polys and PC was like.. gimme more. I need polys nom nom!

I've had major sound stuttering issues too (which actually were what I was trying to look for when I found that threat - I had completely given up on solving the "LFS issue"). I had them first time when I installed Vista some 10 months ago. then on Win 7 TC.. a little tiny bit on CP 64 - none at all on XP 32 and I just installed Win 7 final tonight.. stutter as hell, which made be go look for a solution again again.. but sound stuttering is completely gone now after the fix (LFS behaved as before too on Win 7 - so it's not a Win 7 thing!).

3 seemingly different issues, but they are all caused by the same thing.. and yaya "now I can see how they connect". So great to be hind sighted

...imma go dance now :monkey:

Oh btw - that app thingy you can test with - before solving the issue: Bars were about halfway up to yellow or even red occasionally. In idle mode. Holding down F5 on desktop = constant red bars.

After the fix: barely come up half way up to yellow line - with F5 or whatever. Epic win!

Edit: an important note - in the guide it's mentioned to set the PCI Frequency to more or less than 100. I fixed my issue by setting it to 90 - more than 100 didn't work for me.

Performance issue with multiple instances of LFS running
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG