The online racing simulator
Please give demo users a break
(83 posts, closed, started )
#1 - Zay
Hey everybody,
In my half a year of playing on lfs I have noticed that demo users are treated very rudely and badly by some users of s1 and s2. I am not saying that everybody treats them badly ,but like I said,some people do. Chances are,those people who treat demo users badly were probably a demo user once themselves to. I was a demo user once. Just because they are demo users doesnt mean they cant have the respect that S2 users do.Some demo users could be more talented or as talented as some S1 and S2 users, so please stop treating demo users badly.

Keep in mind though, that I dont want demo users posting on this thread saying stuff like "ya losers stop treating us badly" or treating S1 and S2 users with disrespedt either.
They're not contributing to the well-being of the developers of a fine racing simulator, instead choosing to take advantage of the generously-provided feature-rich demo. Thus the animosity.
Eh, the only real problem with the treatment of demo users is their noobish mentality sometimes.

If I see a demo user I dont automatically switch my "animosity" mode. But if they (on the track) act like a complete muppet or spam "ZOMG ADD NFS CARS CAUSE DRIFT R0x!" then you can sure bet I will feel justified to respond in an unfriendly way.

I dont bite But I will if your purpose here is to annoy, take advantage or spam
#4 - Zay
Ok I am sorry if people read this thread as being unfriendly. I was just trying to point out a fact and just try to get people to treat demo users a little better
Quote from lizardfolk :Eh, the only real problem with the treatment of demo users is their noobish mentality sometimes.

If I see a demo user I dont automatically switch my "animosity" mode. But if they (on the track) act like a complete muppet or spam "ZOMG ADD NFS CARS CAUSE DRIFT R0x!" then you can sure bet I will feel justified to respond in an unfriendly way.

I dont bite But I will if your purpose here is to annoy, take advantage or spam

on top of that, i'd just like to add, that there are a BIG chunk of demo users who are so EFFING lazy that they won't do anything for themselves...

some examples:
  • "how do i make a server", and neglecting to read the LFS manual.
  • "how do i make a server like x-random-cruise-server", and neglecting to peruse the insim dev subforum.
and then there are the demo users who:
  • don't search...
  • repeatedly bump their thread because they didn't get help in the 2 minutes they waited...
  • post 5 threads because they didn't get help in the 2 minutes they waited...
  • post team announcements...
  • ask for people to make them skins...
  • and then ask S1/S2 users to upload them to LFSW...
  • ask about tweak without realizing they can't use it...
  • ask about XRT or other cars they can't drive...
i'm sure there's more, but i'm drawing a frustration-blank right now...

at any rate, i don't dislike demo users, but the mass of stupid sheeple does throw people over the edge... i've even prodded the moderators/devs several times to make the files category read-only to demo users...

i'm a pretty easy guy to get along with, but don't be a moron, and learn to help yourself or at the very least, use your brain.

</public service announcement>

edit: before i leave this, demo users aren't the only people who perpetuate that mal-behaviour though... especially those who upload demo user's skins to LFSW... i hope those users get their skins purged, and denied the ability to upload any more.
Honestly the demo users have been treated quite well, and it's been getting better and better.

But every now and then you just get demo users that.. want to much without giving any support of any kind, whether that be just buying a license, or even helping out the community with something in general.

Just be polite and kind and everyone else here will too. Over the years though a stereotype has come to be that demo users enjoy taking and never giving back, also many have been rude etc.
#7 - Zay
Yes,and I will agree with XCNuse.The demo users also have to start being polite to the licensed racers.
Well the point is... it makes no difference whether you'll get a license after a week or 3 years as long as you'll get it. Cause either way developers will get exactly the same amount of money, so there's no point for S2ers to be complaining about Demo users getting "more than they deserve" and not supporting the developers. Bearing in mind that they're not the developers and should mind their own business.

Loads of you do not understand the concept of not being able to afford stuff (Yes that does exist, it's not made up just to scare wee children!) and there's other reasons too... (and no, you do not always have to know them!)

And there's a sense of "we don't care bout your opinion" just because someone's a Demo user... (Being S1 is like being half evil)
#9 - Zay
Quote from Electric Eye :Well the point is... it makes no difference whether you'll get a license after a week or 3 years as long as you'll get it. Cause either way developers will get exactly the same amount of money, so there's no point for S2ers to be complaining about Demo users getting "more than they deserve" and not supporting the developers. Bearing in mind that they're not the developers and should mind their own business.

Loads of you do not understand the concept of not being able to afford stuff (Yes that does exist, it's not made up just to scare wee children!) and there's other reasons too... (and no, you do not always have to know them!)

And there's a sense of "we don't care bout your opinion" just because someone's a Demo user... (Being S1 is like being half evil)

I couldnt have put that in better words myself. I totally agree with everything you just said.
Ever think the "problem" (whatever it may be) isn't demo users/licensed users but more a problem of kids being kids?

I'm 37 years old and had been racing LFS for 4 years and racing PC sim racing since 1995. I've never attacked people in forums or in online games, nor do I recall the many other folks around here in adulthood attacking people. I do see many many petty little bickering between children not just on this forum but on all forums of all subjects.

Children like to feel superior to others, aka demo vs. licensed users. That's the bottom line. It's never going to go away as when the children of today mature and grow up, a new batch of children take their place.

I have an 8 and a 5 year old, and every day I hear the same bickering, only on a different subject. It's just kids being kids.
Quote from mrodgers :I have an 8 and a 5 year old, and every day I hear the same bickering, only on a different subject. It's just kids being kids.

OT
Slap them across the face and tell them to grow up and get a S2 license already!

.. well .. it usually works here at least
/OT
I dont have anything else to say that everybody treats everybody a bit rudely. Its true, i was demoer too one day and that rude treatment is right for demo ppl - i guess. lolo.

I just woke up, so i dont know whats my point in the text.
i was a demoer recently and i was treated with respect, and i am a kid...like xcnuse said, if you give respect you will get respect, or was it he thinks demoers are treated quite nicely. i was still treated nicely for the most part, but i did my part, searching, making my own skins, not doing illeagal stuff (pirating the game), and being nice.

if it wasnt for the very end i would still be a demo user, and people wouldnt know the difference, unless they read my tag/sig. because i am never on any server, and i am usually only on the forums browsing and such.
Quote from logitekg25 :because i am never on any server, and i am usually only on the forums browsing and such.

lately, same here.

Anyways, yea its true - when u respect others then u will get respect back too. In other way, i dont get the point of this thread.
actually a little addon about the respect thing...sometimes when you say something, it is either a noob thing to say and you get yelled at, or you do not know the way of lfs, and suggest something that s2/1 players do not aprove of...like look at the improvement suggestions forum, the first one or so, it is about money or something, just read it.
EDIT: right here: clicky please
The only real solution is to make demo time-limited.
End of story, it works with pretty much any other game out there.
Lets take my latest example, I played Battlefield 1943 on xBox 360 and it has 30 MINUTE time limit.
I managed to do few matches and it was really cool and fun game.
Now, you see, if there wouldn't be this time limit, I would be still playing it and HONESTLY i would buy it much much much later on when i've had enough of demo.

So, developers, PLEASE make it time limited, it works wonders.
#17 - 5haz
T'is far better than it used to be.

What I don't get are the S2 users who let pathetic small things such as a demo user asking a common question annoy them so much, its like they think buying S2 gives them the right to have a stick up their arse. Just ignore it and it'll go away.

Or.. or.. or.. or, you can try this: "The best way to put an end to a stupid question is with a polite and sensible answer". There really is no need to get all upset and anal over a forum thread.

I laugh at all you fools coming up with ideas for the final solution to the demo problem. (Godwin's law!)
Quote from 5haz :Or.. or.. or.. or, you can try this: "The best way to put an end to a stupid question is with a polite and sensible answer". There really is no need to get all upset and anal over a forum thread.

I laugh at all you fools coming up with ideas for the final solution to the demo problem. (Godwin's law!)

That is so true... answering the question or at least staying quiet is always a better solution than flaming and telling whoever it is that he is stupid.

Time limit on LFS license? I don't think that would change anything, if there was a time limit on LFS I'm 100% I wouldn't have bought the game after it expired, nor even bothered getting S1 license like I got now... (Thanks to my mate for it)

As I said earlier on, it makes no difference whatsoever when you get the license as long as you get it, is it so hard to understand that... It also sort of amuses me be to be honest to see people defending LFS almost as if they developed it and think people shouldn't play THEIR game free of charge! Lighten up! His name is Scawen and he's the man that makes up rules, he says it is unlimited, then it is! Accept it!
#19 - 5haz
Demo time limits can usually be easily worked around by simply uninstalling, completely deleting then reinstalling the game.
Quote from 5haz :Demo time limits can usually be easily worked around by simply uninstalling, completely deleting then reinstalling the game.

Not really, it can also be user based. Like every user can play for 30min. And maxiumum amounts of accounts from 1 IP address is 1. That should work for fine. Also, some games trial times are in the registry, basically u clean ur registry and u can play the game agian.
And again... there's always a way around something! Always Having a limit wouldn't benefit LFS, so there's no point even to bother.
#22 - 5haz
Quote from hazaky :Not really, it can also be user based. Like every user can play for 30min. And maxiumum amounts of accounts from 1 IP address is 1. That should work for fine. Also, some games trial times are in the registry, basically u clean ur registry and u can play the game agian.

True but a most limited demos I have played are offline, and by 'completely deleting' I mean clean it from the registry too, I had Paintshop Pro Demo for a couple of years this way.
Quote from Electric Eye :Loads of you do not understand the concept of not being able to afford stuff (Yes that does exist, it's not made up just to scare wee children!) and there's other reasons too... (and no, you do not always have to know them!)

Sorry, I just had to pick this up. Are you honestly saying there are people out there who can afford a computer capable of running LFS, an internet connection and enough time on their hands to actually spend their day racing online, who cannot afford a 24£ one-time payment for an S2 license? Seriously? I don't see how that is possible, I just don't see it. Surely the internet connection isn't much cheaper than 24£ per month and no sane person would live a life with less than the value of a single month of internet as their financial safety marigin, if that makes any sense at all.

As I'm sure I have said in multiple threads already: "Don't want to spend" is not "Cannot afford".
I thought someone was gonna reply saying that! Too late to edit my previous post now.

I didn't mean people who haven't got money at all, I meant folk who live on the margin. And, this is me assuming, but I don't think it touches you personally, please correct me if I'm wrong ("Austria is one of the 12 richest countries in the world in terms of GDP (Gross domestic product) per capita").

Of course you somehow afford broadband and pay for it every month... but if you're living from one payment to another, you prioritise things(Food, water, heating etc...) and you might not have any cash left to spend on games, and if you do get some cash left there's always a lot more important things you may require to get, or pay for.

So technically you could argue if it's "don't wanna spend" or "cannot afford", circumstances can be different, it's argueable but the fact is you might constantly not have the money for it.

Don't forget that the price of LFS license in some countries can easily be pretty much 1/8th of your monthly wage! Rather than 5 hours of work on minimum wage (here in Scotland)
#25 - WSR
(Sorry for posting in this thread, as I am demo at this time)

The issue lies in electronic transfer of money, (provided those goods were bought with physical cash), where people may physically have the money, but are paranoid about getting their credit card account details stolen, especially when a lot of reports in news are about people intercepting packets of data on wireless networks in banks, homes, etc.

Demoers who say they can't "Afford" 24 euros, or what ever it may converted to in their country even when they have a computer capable of LFS, etc, etc, may be paranoid about people sitting outside their house, with a laptop, and a packet sniffer, waiting for them to send some funds through the internet.

Either that, or they are still kids who use their parent's internet and computer, and whine when their parents will refuse to use their credit card for something the kid wants to buy on the internet.
This thread is closed

(83 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG