The online racing simulator
AVG Free has become a nag monster...
(80 posts, started )
#51 - vari
Quote from Shadowww :UAC DOES prevents your PC from being infected. It shows if app needs admin rights, and if it does while it shouldn't, you can just click No.

App without admin rights can do NOTHING to UAC-enabled system.

That's like saying that a normal user can't write any files to the disk which is just false. System files may be protected, others not so much. I think you should read this http://www.tweak-uac.com/am-i-at-risk-if-i-disable-uac/

'Think of it this way: everything you can do with your computer as a standard user, a virus can do too'
Well yeah but if virus messes up your user profile you can jsut create new user instead of reinstalling whole system.
#53 - vari
Even if the damage would be limited to that (which it won't)... System can be easily replaced, invaluable documents (maybe you don't have any, many do) that you didn't have time to backup yet, can't.

It's dangerous and irresponsible advice to tell someone that they don't need an AV because UAC takes cares of everything if you ask me.
i actually didn't remember if i had any antivirus installed, so i searched....and i was suprised when i found perfectly working nod32 from my system .
Quote from NitroNitrous :So, even if I have some malware, as long as it works fine, I don't care.

I hope you don't do online banking. Because your PC certainly will keep running fine if you have a keylogger. Your bank account won't, though.
Quote from zeugnimod :I hope you don't do online banking. Because your PC certainly will keep running fine if you have a keylogger. Your bank account won't, though.

I've been playing with keyloggers, they're cool. I get the password of my sister's hotmail account when I was 12
The UAC in Windows 7 is the most hideous thing ever to appear in my life, i would rather have my computer set itself on fire than have it switched on.
Quote from NitroNitrous :I've been playing with keyloggers, they're cool. I get the password of my sister's hotmail account when I was 12

I'd call that moronic, not cool.
Well, I agree, but I was just a kid
I understand people who use antivirus and when I repair my friend's computers I alwways install one, but you also have to understand some people don't need it and we're not crazy
Quote from danthebangerboy :The UAC in Windows 7 is the most hideous thing ever to appear in my life, i would rather have my computer set itself on fire than have it switched on.

You are doing it kinda wrong then.

I actually switched UAC back on after reading Shadowww's post. But then I noticed at start up that only 1 of my desktop gadgets was loaded and Objectdock didn't load because of it. So... I turned it off again That's the only thing I noticed, though, it didn't pop up a confirmation dialog on every other click of the mouse like the Vista UAC seemed to do, so it seems like it's improved quite a bit in Win7.
If ObjectDock doesn't supports UAC which appeared in 2005 (Vista release), then IT is faulty.
Use RocketDock instead
Quote from bunder9999 :after i uninstalled it, my "system" memory usage went from 75mb to 5-10mb. that doesn't include the 4 or 5 other exe's it runs. some of those were using up to and exceeding 30mb a piece.

plus, my atom doesn't lag on boot anymore, for a while there i had to log out and back in just to get the taskbar to display properly.

bump.

i don't know why i reinstalled avg 9 on my atom (thankfully it doesn't lag like 8.5 did), but it's nagging everyone again.

http://forums.avg.com/image/freeforum/ww/116111/2787

so what should i replace it with? people say avast and avira are good, but i've never used them.
I used them both and both have few minor flaws, especially Avira is pretty annoying 'cause it displays an ad window every now and then when the computer is on idle. I don't know how's the latest Avast is, but when I was using it it never failed me. It has decent interface, only the updater might be a bit less intrusive...
Microsoft Security Essentials ?
How do words like "Microsoft" and "Security" possibly go together? I'd go for Avast as I had a bit better experience with in than with Avira...
Quote from Bean0 :Microsoft Security Essentials ?

are you using it? how does it stack up to other competitors?

i tried their anti-spyware app when it was first released and it sucked worse than spybot does (compared to mbam)...
Quote from MadCatX :I'd go for Avast

Exactly what i did, dumped avg and got that, then dumped zonealarm firewall and got comodo too, best thing i ever did, both just get on with their jobs and dont rob all my performance lol
been using avast for ages now, after getting rid of avira.
much better.
does its updates regulary and quick without slowing down the system all that much.
PROTIP: Antiviruses aren't (and can't be) effective at all anymore.
Quote from E.Reiljans :PROTIP: Antiviruses aren't (and can't be) effective at all anymore.

How come? Unless malware creators have taken a completely new approach to writing nasty stuff, I think that the good old methods and some heuristics still have it's place...
the best antivirus is actually linux!
but since im a gamer i use windows and avast. >_>
I've been using Nod for ages.
I would recommend that, almost invisible, doesn't eat much, never sleeps and still beats the crap out of the bullies!

edit* I didn't see other pages until now.
Quote from MadCatX :How come? Unless malware creators have taken a completely new approach to writing nasty stuff, I think that the good old methods and some heuristics still have it's place...

Signature scanning is ineffective just because it is (should be pretty obvious to anyone with some common sense), heuristics are ineffective because they are quite easy to bypass (Conficker and StuxNet, for example, were not detectable by heuristics of ANY antivirus) + alot of users disable them because heuristic analyzers trigger false alarms very oftenly.

AVG Free has become a nag monster...
(80 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG