The online racing simulator
Mouse Settings
(7 posts, started )
#1 - Myw
Mouse Settings
Hey guys, I'm still fairly new to LFS so I have a little question.

If anyone has mouse or has used mouse before, can you post your settings or tips on how to use it. I don't want to use KB but my only problem with mouse is that whenever I oversteer, I can't catch it and I spin out. Either the steetring is too fast or too slow.

I can't afford a wheel right now so Mouse is all I have. Thanks :3
I just have steer center reduction set to 0, makes things more predictable. My sensitivity is so like, 1cm of movement is 90 degrees of steering. I guess it's just practice, catching the oversteer, and also the fact you can't really have variable throttle, without losing speed. I tend to have about 7.5 button control rate, so it doesn't take ages to get full throttle. That's just me though.
I raced for about a year with the mouse.

I'll agree that the lower the steer centre reduction, the more predictable the steering response, but the more sensitive it is, and it's especially harder to keep in a straight line. I found my own compromise at 0.4. I probably could have gotten use to a lower number though.

Also, the general sensitivity of the mouse if affected by your OS pointer settings. So a higher windows mouse speed will result in more sensitive steering in game. Mouse acceleration (later versions of Windows label this as "Enhance pointer precision", and replace the adjustment slider with a tick box) is best disabled for LFS, this does help keep things predictable, especially for catching oversteer, and to prevent the straight ahead point from moving. Likewise, a higher screen resolution in LFS slows down the mouse response, and vice versa.
#4 - [d9]
Quote from Myw :I don't want to use KB but my only problem with mouse is that whenever I oversteer, I can't catch it and I spin out.

if you did not forget to use in car view
#5 - Myw
Quote from Bob Smith :I raced for about a year with the mouse.

I'll agree that the lower the steer centre reduction, the more predictable the steering response, but the more sensitive it is, and it's especially harder to keep in a straight line. I found my own compromise at 0.4. I probably could have gotten use to a lower number though.

Also, the general sensitivity of the mouse if affected by your OS pointer settings. So a higher windows mouse speed will result in more sensitive steering in game. Mouse acceleration (later versions of Windows label this as "Enhance pointer precision", and replace the adjustment slider with a tick box) is best disabled for LFS, this does help keep things predictable, especially for catching oversteer, and to prevent the straight ahead point from moving. Likewise, a higher screen resolution in LFS slows down the mouse response, and vice versa.

Thank you for this, it helps a lot.
Quote from [d9] :if you did not forget to use in car view

No, I didn't. I always use in car view.
I use mouse.

My suggestions:

Mouse acceleration / center reduction: off ( 100% linear )
Mouse speed: Much lower than what you're used to in windows. I need to move my arms A LOT to go from lock to lock. However, much higher sensitivity is OK, it's not a big thing.
Botton rate: 7 ~ 10 for beginner level cars ( XFG / XRG )
Auto clutch: off in most cases ( Possiblity of clutch overheating may increase if you rely on auto clutch. )
Brake help: Never tried. Don't rely on this kind of help. But it's not too bad for beginners in racing.

Have fun ! 

Mouse Settings
(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG